Whole Cloth Trapunto Quilt Finished!

I finished it!!

I started this quilt in November, and I can’t begin to count the hours that went into finishing it.

Last night I added the last of the trapunto.  To see how I do trapunto see here ( https://timquilts.com/2013/03/26/trapunto-video/)

It took a lot of yarn!….12 of these

That’s right 12!  at 6 dollars each that is $72 for the yarn.

I used Hobb’s Tuscany wool batting, YLI hand quilting thread,  and #11 John James Between needles.

Here it is just after I got the Trapunto finished.

You can see that adding the trapunto with all the pulling and tugging causes the quilt to be less than flat. And dragging it around the house for almost a year as I did the quilting made it somewhat dirty.

Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

So the next thing to do is wash it.  I washed it in the washing machine, in cold water, gentle cycle, and then dried it in the drier, low temp.  The washing and drying helps to close up the little holes on the back that are caused bu the trapunto needle (see link above)

when it comes out of the drier it’s even less flat

Next step is blocking.  First I use a spray bottle to get the quilt damp again, and then I pin the quilt to the floor smoothing it out as I go.  I am using safety pins because they are strong enough to go into my wood floor, it would be easier if I had a carpeted floor.

?????????????

Here are some more pictures of it pinned to the floor and ready to dry

after a night of being pinned down (blocked) it looks like this

Still a few puckers that I will need to go back and  re block but not bad.

Here it is hanging, it measure 84″ square.

and more pictures

I am so glad that I finished it!  Now back to work on some of the others

77 thoughts on “Whole Cloth Trapunto Quilt Finished!

1. Laura Gottlieb says:

Let me be the first to congratulate you on this magnificent piece of work, Tim!

2. kathi says:

absolutely magnificent! You must be sooooo pleased and proud !

3. I am so impressed. It is a superb piece of work. Congratulations!

4. karen says:

I see you stuck with it – did you make your deadline and what show will it be entered in? it is beautiful and lot of work sure went into it.

5. Francie says:

Tim, Your chest must have grown three inches….with pride….
    absolutely perfect!!! Congratulations. I can almost hear the big WHEW.

6. Jeanette says:

Congrats, Tim ! A Beautiful Job ! We went all the way through with you on this one. It seemed to take forever. Wish I had the stamina to do one !

7. Linda says:

WOW!!! I admire all of your work but this one is over the moon!! As a hand quilter I know all the time and work put into a quilt. Thank you for sharing and explaining every step. I have learned so much on this great journey making and finishing a whole cloth trapunto quilt. Looking forward to seeing all the awards!!

8. Renie says:

It’s gorgeous! You are just awesome to share such a labor-intensive process. Thank you very much. Renie

9. Nancy says:

A wondrous work! Congratulations! Your blocking it on the wood floor has me thinking about my retirement home quilt room and what I should include for blocking a quilt!

10. Mardee Dowdy says:

Easy for me to say it was worth the almost year to complete, but I’m certain that’s your feeling as well. It is absolutely beautiful. Understatement and any other adjectives would fall as short. I’m so impressed with all you do, variety and number. Thank you for the blog and all your photos and videos and instructions!

11. Annette, NC says:

Amazing quilt! You do such great work and actually I think a year is pretty quick for all of this quilting and trapunto.

Incredible of course! This one will win the big prize! Let’s hope the Arizonians know much more than the Iowans at AQS!

13. ann in PA says:

Your work is incredible. WOW! Truly a work of art and a labor of love. And bless you for sharing how you go about creating such a treasure.

14. Jan cotton....kiwi jan says:

Really beautiful what a achievement….do hope you are going to eventually use this one ….not sit it on the pile…. Re pinning on a carpeted floor I feel the Wooden floor would be better ..firmer ..how wet does the quilt get when spraying to block?

I use all my quilts , this one will be no exception.
      unless the carpet is very shaggy and thick it would be plenty firm….the quilt is only damp to block it, the pins stretch it slightly and it is the tension that takes out the ripples, not the firmness of the floor

• Jan cotton....kiwi jan says:

Thanks for the reply Tim about the tension that firms up the quilt not the floor….. Having never blocked a quilt I had no idea.

I have a friend who uses a large Styrofoam insulation board (2 4 foot by 8 foot pieces ) covered with batting and fabric to pin and block quilts…the pins go in very easy, but you need a place to store the foam sheets

15. Sharon says:

This quilt is amazing and thank you for sharing your journey with us. Any chance you’ll bring it to CAMEO guild when you visit us in the spring?

16. Ardis Bucy says:

AWESOME

17. Sharon in Galesburg MI says:

WOW! Bet you have nightmares about being strangled by a giant skein of yarn! That’s the next ribbon winner 🙂

LOL…..I am glad I won’t need to work with yarn again for a while! I really didn’t expect it to take so much

• Kristen says:

Yes, you can just see the image in Tim’s dreams: the huge skein of yarn coming towards him, the end starts to unskein in his direction, going around his neck…egad! This is too close to Halloween, I shouldn’t be imagining such things.

18. Susan says:

Indeed a very special piece….wondering where you will be showing it…live and real??? Enjoy your week end with a small project…

Congratulations Tim! We are terribly impressed, relieved and covetous. Andrew and I continue to work on our cunning plan to land in Lansing, divert your attention, and then run off with it, outpacing Teddy and the police.

20. Pam Gardner says:

What truly fabulous work, Tim. It is a real beauty.
    Congrats on finishing.

21. Janine Huisjen says:

Beautiful! And thank you for sharing your progress while creating it. I’ve learned a lot. And you have also gotten me over my fear of washing a quilt after making it. : )

22. Marjorie says:

So FREAKING amazing! I would think it to be a cool idea…but lose momentum after about 100 hours, sending it to the “corner of project shame” for several years. Thanks for being the “better man” to get-er-done.I am humbled by your accomplishment.

23. jojo says:

Tim, I was in a class yesterday and the teacher (Cathy Wiggins) showed pinning her quilt to insulation board (put a sheet on top of the insulation board first), put the damp quilt on the board and pin as you did above.

She showed areas in the center of her quilt that were not remotely flat. She stuck pins through those areas (think LOTS of them). She used enough to flatten all the puffy areas and then allowed the quilt to dry. It was perfectly flat when dry. We (all of the students) were amazed that she was able to get it so flat. It was a wonderful class. Her quilts are so darn fun and colorful.

Your quilt is breathtaking! Congratulations on your finish. I’m looking forward to seeing the ribbons it will receive.

24. Pamela says:

Gorgeous quilt. Great job, Tim! There’s a Best of Show waiting out there for this quilt.

25. Arendt Marie Christine says:

Formidable ! Tres heureuse de voir le résultat,il est magnifique.
    Félicitations et meilleurs souhaits de Belgique. Tine

26. Simply stunning, Tim! Congratulations!! Bet you can’t believe you’ve finished.

27. Beautiful. I am reminded to take my time and not take shortcuts with the quilting. The result would not have been half as lovely if you did not do so much fill and trapunto. I hope this receives many accolades. It is well deserved.

28. wombatquilts says:

Stunning. Beautiful. Amazing. Awe inspiring.

29. Radka says:

It’s beautiful! Well done 🙂

30. LeeAnn says:

Fantastic! Worth every moment and penny. Congratulations!

31. Lisa Mikel says:

It is beautiful Tim, congratulations!

32. Tim, This is astounding! And all of that micro-stippling!! BY HAND!!! You rock the hand quilting world my friend! How many hours did it take you to just do the micro work?

Hmmmm….micro stippling must be a machine quilting term…..Its all quilting to me….. but if it means the densely quilted filled in areas, they are actually not that time consuming since it is all free had with no lines to follow, but I didn’t time the work so I cant put a number on it…I can say that stuffing in all the trapunto took a lot longer than that

33. Joan says:

What a fabulous piece of artistry! I love to hand quilt, but arthritis has forced me to the machine. I so miss the luxury of sitting in an easy chair and relaxing with a quilt. With your skill, I hope the quilting fairies will sprinkle their good luck dust on your hands! You’ve added much beauty to the world.

34. Salley says:

Just wiping the drool from my mouth…awesome Tim, totally awesome.

35. poppyinstitches says:

Stunning!!! The skill and artistry – utterly breathtaking.

36. antarabesque says:

Dang, that’s beautiful.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )