I finished it!!
I started this quilt in November, and I can’t begin to count the hours that went into finishing it.
Last night I added the last of the trapunto. To see how I do trapunto see here ( https://timquilts.com/2013/03/26/trapunto-video/)
It took a lot of yarn!….12 of these
That’s right 12! at 6 dollars each that is $72 for the yarn.
I used Hobb’s Tuscany wool batting, YLI hand quilting thread, and #11 John James Between needles.
Here it is just after I got the Trapunto finished.
You can see that adding the trapunto with all the pulling and tugging causes the quilt to be less than flat. And dragging it around the house for almost a year as I did the quilting made it somewhat dirty.
Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)
So the next thing to do is wash it. I washed it in the washing machine, in cold water, gentle cycle, and then dried it in the drier, low temp. The washing and drying helps to close up the little holes on the back that are caused bu the trapunto needle (see link above)
when it comes out of the drier it’s even less flat
Next step is blocking. First I use a spray bottle to get the quilt damp again, and then I pin the quilt to the floor smoothing it out as I go. I am using safety pins because they are strong enough to go into my wood floor, it would be easier if I had a carpeted floor.
Here are some more pictures of it pinned to the floor and ready to dry
after a night of being pinned down (blocked) it looks like this
Still a few puckers that I will need to go back and re block but not bad.
Here it is hanging, it measure 84″ square.
and more pictures
I am so glad that I finished it! Now back to work on some of the others