Something scary?

Since it is Halloween I thought you might like to see something scary.
DWR 1

Not too scary…actually I think it is beautiful!  the scary part is all the work it will be to get it into shape to hand quilt it!

Apparently at some point someone decided that it would be a good idea to machine wash it….this is never ever ever ever a good idea on an unquilted top…especially one pieced by hand….it causes excessive fraying of all the seams and raw edges and can cause the entire thing to fall apart.

Whoever washed it then decided that it was so weakened that it needed fixing so they re-sewed the entire thing by machine…also made a few “fixes” of the fabric which caused bunching…and they folded over the outside edges and zig-zag stitched that.  It is still a beauty but I have so much to un-do and repair before it will be flat and even and quiltable. looks like it will be nearly redoing the entire thing.   All that work can be looked at as scary!  But as I said it is beautiful and will be worth it.

Here are some pictures (click to enlarge)

here is an update on the border of the red thread whole cloth…should be done soon…(click pictures to enlarge)

Happy Halloween

2007_11012-14-070040

15 thoughts on “Something scary?

1. Eileen Mele says:

You. Must love old quilts to go to all that trouble! Will be wonderful!!

Too many people out there who think they know the answer to fixing old quilts is to wash them unquilted, I have a few that are like that and they are at the bottom of my list.

this one would be at the bottom of my list too if it were a regular double wedding ring….but this is so different that I think it will be mid list rather than bottom

3. myrosesindecember says:

“Fixing” can be quite the opposite, can’t it? It sounds like you have the determination to restore it to all its glory though. Do you know the name of the pattern? I was once asked to restore a 1920s appliqued quilt and was I ever scared. Getting mouse “stains” out was the hardest part but I had just learned the trick of layng a freshly washed quilt on the grass to allow some sort of interaction between sun and chlorophyll t get the stains out. Every single stain was gone, and it smelled so good. I used the back side if a new fabric for the repair of the appliqued flowers and since I needed to do it in a few places, it looked more intentional than repair. I did hold my breath until I knew how the intended recipient viewed it. I love your pumpkin. Did you do the carving? Amazing. Took me a minute to see the two images but it is wonderful. Is Teddy dressing up for Halloween?

in this case it was sure the opposite, the job would have been so much easier if it had not been touched and just left as it was.
      I did carve the pumpkin…the images show a lot better in the dark but I cant get a good picture that way…..teddy is wearing his skeleton shirt now

4. Victoria says:

Ok, Tim! Seriously! how many hours a day do you spend nonstop working on this quilt?

Oh man, it did say washed but wow, piecing reinforced by machine?! Argh, what a nightmare! What was s/he thinking?! Okay, thinking it would help, of course, but…. Well, that blue does pop and the red and green are excellent — still an excellent top but truly a labor of love.

6. That quilt top is a very scary proposition!! Amazing pumpkin – did you carve it?

7. Kathleen Campbell says:

I like the quilt top. The Red Thread is looking good. The pumkin is really good.

8. Marie says:

Your red thread on white fabric quilt is stunning! You must have endless patience to stitch that by hand so precisely. Really, it’s just stunning!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )