321 Quilt

I finished my red thread whole cloth quilt today!

I started about a month ago, but did most of it in the last few weeks . Here is the start.
silk batting test 019

and see here https://timquilts.com/2013/10/01/more-feathers/ and here https://timquilts.com/2013/10/16/how-do-you-do-that-fill/

I used a tan (even though it looks off white in the pictures) fabric for top and backing, and Hobb’s Tuscany Silk Batting.

I did all the marking as I went using an inexpensive mechanical pencil and free hand drawing the design one hoop at a time.

The thread is DMC perle cotton No 8 and I used a DMC size 5 embroidery needle…I didn’t use a thimble for this one

here are all the super fancy things I used to make this quilt

tools

The red thread is Number 321 so I am calling the quilt ‘321 quilt’  I also used a rotary cutter and a ruler but nothing really fancy was needed.

Here is how I did the binding:

Once I had all the quilting finished

quinting finished

I cut the 3 layers even on all the edges

?????????????

I am binding this without an applied binding.  This method is sometimes called ‘Knife Edge’.

I first fold back the top and backing fabrics and pin them back exposing the batting

obe

It is important to get the fabric pinned out of the way because the next step is to trim the batting 1/2″ shorter and you need the fabric to be out of the way

obe

next I fold the top in covering the edge of the batting and press, and then fold the backing in and press

obe obe

then pin

obe

and top stitch in matching thread

obe obe

and here is the finished quilt

done

Here are some more pictures (click to enlarge)

The next thing to do is wash it.  I always wash and dry my quilts.

Here it is after washing and drying.

321 8

and more (click to enlarge)

Silk batting shrinks when washed and dried.  I like the look it gives.  crinkled and antique looking.  Before washing the Quilt measured 58 inches square and after it is 55 inches square or almost 5%.  I love the batting, it is soft and has a beautiful drape.  It is a dream to hand quilt.  It is a very thin batting so there is not as much definition or texture but I think it is perfect for this quilt.

50 thoughts on “321 Quilt

1. Anne Kasten says:

This is absolutely stunning. I love the simplicity and at the same the complexity of it. Enter it in some quilt show and I bet you will win a glorious prize!

2. myrosesindecember says:

Tim, this is exquisite and doubly amazing in that you marked it as you went along. Absolutely beautiful. Thanks for describing the silk batting. I will have to give it a try.

3. karen says:

I am amazed at how fast you work – beautiful work Tim, and all free hand! I am in awe

Brilliant again! You must enter it in a show, a true winner! You will have so many that you will be competing against yourself!

5. Victoria says:

Bravo!! Another Tim Masterpiece!! Love the signature in the bottom corner… first time seeing this kind of bind off. Will have to do this one day.

I wanted to keep the binding from competing with the quilting so this seemed the best choice….it was a common finishing method many years ago on whole cloth quilts in the UK…

6. Joan says:

Such a beautiful work of artistry!

7. liz says:

That is an incredible quilt. Thank you for sharing

8. Sharon Snow says:

It is absolutely beautiful. Just out of curiosity how many SPI did you get with the embroidery needle?

9. Francie says:

Bravo Tim! A winner for sure. And I agree …the binding choice is perfect.

10. Kathi says:

Love the pic tutorial you did for the knife edge finish and love how you quilted this 🙂 Thanks for sharing how you liked the silk batting too… does this quilt have a purpose yet? Love the name you gave it! lots of 321 in it for sure 🙂 Kathi

11. Brigitte says:

A real masterpiece, can’t imagine to do the swirls free by hand. And your youiltwork is a dream!

12. Sharon in Galesburg MI says:

It is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks for the tute on the binding..I’ve never heard or seen that type before. I learned something new today – thank you.

13. ginaquilts says:

It turned out beautifully! I really enjoy your work.

14. Heather says:

Hi Tim,
    What a gorgeous piece of work ! I love it, and I especially like the knife-edge finish, as you say popular in antique French and English quilts. I am no great fan of gadgets, I often think they hinder rather than help. Congratulations on a lovely design and execution, it is stunning.

15. Joan Ciolino says:

Dude, Do you ever SLEEP? I can’t begin to imagine doing this in a month, much less with all the traveling you do! I am in awe – I hope to see it in person at a show very soon. Congrats on a wonderful accomplishment!

16. Elaine DeFoor says:

Stunning – you are an artist more than a quilter. It is one of the most beautiful works of art I have ever had the pleasure to see. Your process amazes me. Thank you for sharing.

17. audrey says:

Fabulous work! Love the close-ups of the stitching.:)

18. Gorgeous!! Thanks for the Knife Edge Binding lesson – must give that a try.

19. Tica says:

I echo the amazement and admiration in the above comments – stunning!

20. Bertha Mallard says:

I am in awe of your work. Simply beautiful. Please continue to show us how you do it.

21. Pam Gardner says:

It turned out great. I really love this one.

22. Lori says:

Wonderful, wonderful. It’s truly amazing!

23. antarabesque says:

Thank you for the binding tutorial. I have to try it one day.

24. Kathy says:

Tim,
    You said the silk batting shrunk about 5% after washing. Do you know if it would shrink more on subsequent washings?

Comments