Another Antique Quilt Top

I know I don’t need anymore of these but I just can’t help myself.  The simplicity of the pattern and the assortment of fabrics made it too good to pass up.

This is a 2 block pattern

Aunt Pattys Favorite

A simple 9 patch and a square with half square triangles at the corners.  when the all come together is makes a nice pattern

Aunt Pattys Favorite

The small squares are 1.5 inches so the blocks are 4.5 inches (they are actually all a fraction larger) overall the quilt top is about 84 ” square.

11-13-13 001

Now how old is it?  A rule for dating a quilt is that it is only as old as its newest piece.  This was made with a variety of fabrics or scraps.  When clothing is made there are leftover pieces of fabric after the pattern is cut out.  those pieces or scraps go into the scrap bag and eventually they might be used in a quilt.   The scraps can span many years and in the top that is the case.  I will say 1890 for the date of the top but there are pieces of fabric in this that I believe to be much older.   As you look at the pictures it might look like there is black fabric.  The black is actually indigo (I always have trouble getting a true color on those pictures) or dark brown.

Here are a bunch of pictures of the fabrics.  I find it so interesting to see these old designs (click pictures to enlarge)

They all come together nicely

11-13-13 062

I have to let this one sit for a while…I have so many started already…but it will be hand quilted one day.

now back to work

33 thoughts on “Another Antique Quilt Top

1. Jim Smith says:

Tim, I know what you mean. Check out our CWR-I – (Civil War Re-Enactment I) at Quilts SB – http://quiltsb.blogspot.com/2012/01/q94-civil-war-re-enactment-i-or-cwr-i.html . Jim

2. audrey says:

Lovely. There are some beautiful fabrics in this quilt!

3. Is this a true quilt? It look more like patchwork to me. My Granny made endless patchwork quilts but never quilted (like your lovely background) so I’ve never yet learned to quilt. This is just the sort of thing she might have sewn. I love handsome Teddy!

It is a quilt top…it will become a quilt once I have quilted it. what makes a quilt is 3 layers, top..batting…backing..all stitched together, many many , in fact most, quilts start out as a patchwork top…this one was just never finished into a quilt, many people enjoyed patchwork piecing, but did not like to do the quilting, so they made a lot of quilt tops but put them away in storage unquilted…some would do the patchwork and add the batting and backing and not quilting stitches but simply hod the layers together with a few “ties” bits of yarn tying the 3 layers together…

4. Using fabric from clothes makes a wonderful memory quilt. I want to make a quilt some day using all my quilt scraps. I need to save your pattern.

5. Byrd says:

That’s funny! I started a project like this just this morning. I understand it’s a variation on the snowball theme. It’s one of my favorites that I’ve been meaning to try. I l-o-v-e those fabrics! Take care, Byrd

funny….I guess had good timing
      but it is a great pattern to make. I find 19 names for it from different sources , snowball is one of them….seems like every publication decided to make up a different name for it
      enjoy making your version!

6. Kathi says:

How appropriate you posted about your cool vintage quilt top. My bucket list has included a vintage top and I just won one… what do I look for once I receive it specifically? Do you have a post already on this topic? thanks! So happy you got this one .. it will be fun to quilt! Kathi

well I dont have anything written about it…every vintage top is different…I just look for anything that needs to be fixed to make it quiltable…that means all the seams are secure and it is flat enough to quilt…..I quilt out a lot of imperfection that scares off a lot of people, but you need to be ready for it to not be perfect…and dont wash it before it is quilted!!…washing an unquilted top will make it fall apart because of fraying of the fabric…it becomes a thready mess and that weakens all the seams….I wash the entire quilt after quilting

7. CallieCat52 says:

I have some of those same fabrics in the quilt tops/individual blocks I have from my family. I also have a couple of boxes of just scrap material – some cut into pieces for blocks. Do you see in that very first block picture how they pieced the tiny square! I see a lot of that in our quilt tops!

I have many examples of that piecing of the pieces to make up one square..they didn’t waste anything!
      you are lucky to have some family pieces…mine are all from unknown people

8. Renie says:

Thank you Tim. I appreciate the close-ups of generational fabrics that were used in days of yore.

Great quilt, I know why you couldn’t pass it up!

10. Dawn Fox Cooper says:

Scrap bags can cover a very long time span. I went to a lecture at a local quilts show a few years ago given by a quilt appraiser. She had one quilt that had fabrics dating from slightly earlier than 1865 (5 or 6 blocks signed & dated 1865) to fabrics from the 1970’s. The dated blocks had been passed on with the 1860’s scrap bag through the various owners & quilters who added more fabrics along the way until the quilt was completed. There were blocks that had fabrics from the 1800’s pieced together with fabrics of the 1970’s. What a unique object to own & imagine the various quilters hands that this quilt passed through until it was completed.

Dawn

11. Janine Huisjen says:

What a treasury of fabrics! And I’m intrigued that even though it is a scrap top (and I love the minute piecing to make patches from some of the scraps), a lot of planning went into the placement of fabrics.

12. Linda says:

Hi Tim,
    I love your quilt. It is so beautiful. My grandmother made me a scrap quilt when we were married 41 yrs. ago. It has pieces from her dresses and aprons. It is priceless to me. I love this pattern. Is it hand pieced?
    You can “see” a woman in her chair by the fire piecing her blocks together. Great quilt.
    Linda

13. Joey Pack says:

Tim didn’t this quilt just end on. Ebay a few days ago? I almost bid kn it …lovely piece!

14. valerie says:

You always show us such interesting quilts. I’m tempted to draft this pattern. Thank you!

Thanks!
      it is an easy one to draft because there arent a lot of odd shapes…..the squares with the pink triangle corners were pieced with the white as a square the triangle sewn on the top right side down, and then pressed back…if that makes scene….

This has some GREAT fabrics in it. Terrific.

16. Debra Gutenson says:

Another treasure, Tim. Can’t wait to see it after you add your magic quilting to it.

17. Laura in IA says:

Nice quilt top. Totally irresistible.

Comments