Vintage Snowflake Quilt Top

Yesterday I posted a link to my post about making snowflakes

2012_0131snowflakes-howto0005

Today I got a vintage quilt top in the mail.  I don’t know the pattern source so I can’t say what the age is or the name of the pattern.  It was made like a snowflake by folding and cutting, and it looks like a snowflake so that Is what I am calling it.

snowflake top 001

The borders were made by folding and cutting as well.  The same way you would make a chain of paper dolls

paper doll

The corners don’t join correctly  but I think I will let that go

snowflake top 007 snowflake top 008 snowflake top 009 snowflake top 010

Here are some more pictures of the top and the quilt inspector (click pictures to enlarge)

This will make a great winter quilt some day…of course hand quilted

26 thoughts on “Vintage Snowflake Quilt Top

1. CallieCat52 says:

It looks like Wedgewood – Jasperware.

That is such a neat quilt! At first I was thinking about the Hawaiian designs, but then I bet they don’t normally do snowflake quilts in Hawaii! 🙂

Hawaiian quilts are made like snowflakes too….but they have one really huge one in the center….and breadfruit and pineapples in the design….Some day I will make a Northern version of a Hawaiian and put a giant snowflake in the center

3. Jeanette says:

You will make this one Shine ! Teddy likes it, too !

4. Sharon in Galesburg MI says:

I love the quilt, but I love the Inspector more 🙂

5. myrosesindecember says:

I agree completely that the quilt has the look of Jasperware, or the ceilings in some of the really old estates in England, with just a hint of Hawaiian technique thrown in. Then colors could not be more perfect for a snowflake quilt. They are the colors of snow on a winter’s eve. I see only one corner that seems to be “off” a little – the lower left,. If it bothers you, you could always cut a little piece tom tuck in there – perhaps part of a snowflake, or a wee silhouette of Teddy! He stands out beautifully against this gorgeous quilt. Do you have a plan yet for the quilting? You certainly can find the treasures.

6. Sharon Snow says:

Did you draw out the design and applique it?

7. Dorothy says:

Wow, I love the colors and who wouldn’t want this quilt top. Thank you for sharing another great older quilt.

8. linda schiffer says:

We got the new issue of Quilter’s Newsletter today – what a hoot it was to see the article about you! 🙂 Felt like running into someone you know in a strange country. 🙂

🙂 Linda

Isn’t this is the schnitte tradition — at least the design if not the technique? Did it come from anywhere near that region in PA?

thats what I was thinking…..but the seller is from Kansas
      Pepper Cory (quilt expert friend) thinks it is from India like the Ralli Quilts

I dont know much about them….but havent seen this color in one before….but I am no expert on them so that could sure be it

• Kristen says:

Ah, hmm…yes, that does strike a distant bell. The color, though — you’re right. Pretty rare all around.

10. marilee botos says:

Love, love, love this quilt!

11. Very lovely quilt top and I know your quilting will greatly enhance it, with Teddy supervising, of course.

12. valerie says:

Love the quilt–can’t wait to see what you do with it. I also saw the very nice article about you in QN–well done. Too bad there was a photo of the Quilt Inspector 😉 .

13. Lindsay says:

I was pleased to see the article about you in Quilters’ Newsletter. You kept your snowflake designs a secret this time.

14. Francie says:

HOLY MOLY!!!! I go away for a bit and come back to “SNOWFLAKES”.
    Oh my gosh I love them…and that quilt is fabulous. I have made my own snowflake quilt (each one different)…but I never tire of seeing ones that are new (to me) . I can hardly wait to see that one quilted!! BTW, doesn’t Teddy look fabulous next to it…blue and white…can’t go wrong.
    And I never tire of seeing YOUR special snowflakes as well.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )