How to make a snowflake

Last year I did several posts about making snowflakes and posted a pattern here (https://timquilts.com/2012/12/03/snowflake-pattern/)

Here is another tutorial and a pattern

For this snowflake I am using an 18″ square piece of paper.

snowflake 1 12-1-13 006

The folding is the same for whatever size paper you use.  Most often I use regular computer printer paper (8.5″ x11″) and cut it square

First fold it in half along the diagonal

snowflake 1 12-1-13 007

Next fold it in half again

snowflake 1 12-1-13 008

Now fold in one-third to the center

snowflake 1 12-1-13 009

and then fold in the remaining third

snowflake 1 12-1-13 010

It will look like this on the other side

snowflake 1 12-1-13 011

Next draw on the design…here is the PDF for this one (snowflake-12–1-13)

you can make any design you want and it can be very simple or very complex…no rules!

then cut it out

snowflake 1 12-1-13 002

And carefully open it up

snowflake 1 12-1-13 012

I then press them with an iron and light steam to make them flat

give it a try and have fun!

I have put together a PDF of snowflake patterns and instructions available at my Etsy store https://www.etsy.com/shop/timquilts

Happy Cutting!

46 thoughts on “How to make a snowflake

1. Love your snowflakes! Thanks for sharing.

2. Dana Silver says:

Pretty

3. Machelle Smith says:

Darling! Thanks Tim

4. Shared on facebook. thanks.

5. Janet says:

Dear Tim
    You’re snowflakes are amazing…..thank you so much for sharing…I can’t wait to try this myself…..a fan from Canada
    Janet

Thanks again for wonderful snowflakes!

7. Tim you are a very patient artist to be able to draw then cut out some thing so intricate and so beautiful. Many many thanks for sharing your talent and skills. Cheers Glenda Australia.

8. Have you ever tried this with white cotton?

9. Francie says:

Hi Tim…loving the quilting and the trees…you’ve been so busy.
    I must say, I was hoping you would be doing more snowflakes this year.
    Now that my grandson is 12 years old, I am sure he would LOVE to give these a try. Something ice we can do together. As always thanks for the eye candy and inspiration. “D

10. Comcast says:

Thanks! Very cool

Sent from my iPhone

11. Sharon Snow says:

Thanks, something I always wanted to try.. Yours looks awesome!

12. […] took a break from quilting to make another snowflake pattern.  See yesterdays post https://timquilts.com/2013/12/01/how-to-make-a-snowflake-2/ for the how to on […]

13. katechiconi says:

I love this – someone else who makes snowflakes to decorate for Christmas. It’s the closest I’ll come to snow, as I live in the tropics. Thank you for the suggestion to press the folded paper – I’ve been fighting ‘fat’ folds up to now. And I’m also loving your quilts – mine are not nearly as accomplished.

Thanks!! I think Christmas in the tropics would be very different from the snow we have here…but paper snowflakes is a good way to do it!

• katechiconi says:

It is, very different. We’ll be having Christmas lunch outside on the patio, with fans going full tilt, lunch will be cold meats and salads and a huge selection of cold desserts, and after lunch, a walk on the beach to shake down the food. Temperatures can easily hit 95F or so… I’ll rejoice in the only snowflakes I’m like to see; the paper ones!

• Abby Rivers says:

had a christmas in 1996 in the dessert, Arizona,Tucson and yeah, no snow unless you go to mountaintops,or higher ground. loving the snowflakes you make and gratefull for this tutorial.

thanks Abby have fun cutting 🙂

14. Lisa says:

I love your snowflakes and tried one last night with regular copy paper and scissors. You make it look so simple. Mine is not so pretty. I’m going to use vellum and try again. Thank you for the patterns. I need door decorations for a nursing home resident and these will be perfect for their door and window. So unique.

15. Neame says:

As a child lo many years ago I made paper snowflakes from old newspapers – the paper is thin but crisp and the funny pages were the best. Life had driven the memory away until I read your post and it all came flooding back – along with the desire to replicate that experience. Now, thanks to you, new and wonderful snowflakes to try. So grateful….because memory….
    A fan in WA

16. Rita says:

Thank YOU!!!! It’s perfect. You are so creative.

17. Bridget says:

I love your patterns for the snowflakes. I have about 200 that I put in my windows every year. Yours are so unique and beautiful. Would love to be able to make a pattern like those.

18. Rhonda Wade says:

Your snowflake patterns are beautiful. Are your patterns for sale? If so please let me know how I go about purchasing copies. Please get back with me and let me know. Thanks, Rhonda

19. We are loving all things snowflake this year. Thanks for the inspiration. You should get them added to http://snowflakewindowstickers.co.uk because they will be added to the top of the list.

20. […] While working on the quilt I find that I need to take breaks.   I have been making snowflakes in between quilting.   Part of what I see from the site stats is that my snowflake posts are among the most popular and since it is getting to be that time of year I am making more….with the aim of making patterns from them.   (how to make a snowflake post here) […]

21. Catie says:

I’m linking to these on my blog. 🙂 They’re beautiful!

22. […] Since then I have done a few more snowflake posts with patterns and instructions.   https://timquilts.com/2013/12/01/how-to-make-a-snowflake-2/ […]

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )