Ever Since I finished the quilt I have been thinking about quilting this one in the same way.
posted about the top earlier https://timquilts.com/2012/11/17/crazy-baskets/
The Pattern has Many Names
Basket of Triangles, Fruit Basket, May Basket Design, The Basket Quilt, The Broken Sugar Bowl, and I’m Sure many more, But I am using Fruit Basket.
The border is all I am fixing. The individual blocks are all a bit off in uniformity but I can live with that. When the maker applied the border fabric she cut long strips (longer than need) and hand stitched them on without pinning. The result of doing it the way is that the fabric stretches as you go and you actually use up more fabric then needed and cause puckers…in the case almost pleats.
I took of the borders and pressed, and pressed the center then pinned on the borders carefully keeping a straight line with the border. the outside edges of the quilt were not straight so the border will be used to fix that.
once I had a side pinned I sewed it and trimmed of the excess top fabric and the extra length of border fabric. Here is what I cut off
Now it is flat and ready to mark for Baptist fans. I am using a 14″ hoop to mark the outside arc of the fans, and when I do the quilting I will eyeball the rest, quilting from the outside arc in.
When I start a new quilt with a vintage top I think about many things. I have to make a decision about how much I want to re-make it. There are quilts that I have totally taken apart and re made. Sometimes that is needed to make them flat and quiltable or to make them stronger by replacing worn fabrics. Sometimes I simply quilt as they are and retain the original look. In the quilt I had to decide whether or not to re-orient some blocks. If you look at the 3 blocks in the lower left edge you can see that they are upside down
I decided to leave this one as the original maker did it. I think the mistake adds to the charm.
Teddy thinks it time for a play break….when one ear goes up I can see it time for some attention