What does he do with all those quilts?

As you know I love hand quilting!! Occasionally I am asked how I use all the quilts I make.

I am a firm believer in actually using quilts.  It doesn’t make sense to me to make them and “save them for special”

I use my quilts in different ways.

A very few are gifts

dr-seuss-finished-002dick-and-jane-quilt-009Some quilts I make because I really want to use them.  This flannel quilt with flannel backing and wool bating is on m bed now for the cold winter nights.

flannelThis is so soft!!  Some nights it is so cold I add another quilt

2012_0109utility-quilt-done0014This one is made from a vintage top (very crudely made but I love it) and the batting is a thick poly.

I change the quilts for the bed seasonally or whenever the mood strikes.

I like to store quilts on the spare bed.  Many layers of quilts layered on the bed keeps them from getting fold lined.  This one is the current top of the pile but that is easily changed.

corduroy-quilt-finish-022I do enter some of my quilts in competitions so often they are not home with me at all.

These are currently draped over chairs in the living-room…so much nicer than a slip-cover.

finished-ring-quilt-5-15-13-008

This one is on the sofa all ready for naps

2010_07186-1-11-buck-quilt0002

This quilt hung in the Rocky Mountain Quilt Museum in CO in 2012.

trees-fullThis one is currently hanging at the museum

2012_0124aqs-tree-of-life0010These quilts have all been in American Quilters Society Shows.

Once I get them back from the shows I add them to the others, and use them and display them.

I have about 10 in a display case with glass sides and top.

aqs-loot-2013-gr-002Quilts that are stored folded like this should be unfolded and re-folded on different fold lines a few times a year to prevent permanent creases along the folds.

All of the quilts get changed out seasonally or as the mood strikes me.

Lastly I use my quilts in Lectures/Trunk shows.  Nothing works as well as an actual quilt to demonstrate quilting.

I usually bring about 30 finished quilts to a lecture…I talk about the materials…the history of the antique/vintage tops…repair, marking, washing, buying tops….and show pictured of the quilts in various stages of work..and end with the completed quilt.

The trunk show/Lecture is my favorite use for my quilts….because I love to share quilting information.  Someday I might come to a quilt guild meeting near you!

26 thoughts on “What does he do with all those quilts?

1. Sharon says:

Can’t wait to see you at our guild, CAMEO next month.

2. Joan says:

I sure do agree with you Tim. Quilts should be used, not folded up and put away. We should enjoy them in our lifetime.

3. katechiconi says:

Love your trees, both the white wholecloth, which is totally awesome and I’d be afraid to use it, and the brown and cream one, which is gorgeous, and I’d be less afraid of wrecking it…

the white trees is a different story…that will always be used as a wall hanging….it really is not big enough for me to use in the traditional sense

• katechiconi says:

It’s different if its original purpose was to be wall art… That dense, intense quilting and pristine whiteness shouldn’t be subjected to the hurly burly of the bed!

4. Mary Ann says:

Mr Tim
    Sure would love to see your lecture and trunk show. So when are you coming to Florida? After this winter, soon???

5. Francie says:

Good for you, Tim! That’s is what I think too. What is the point of hiding them away? (Except the couple I have tucked away for great grandchildren (that I might not meet…LOL) When my beds are covered, or one is hanging on the wall, or on the back of a couch, or I see them on the beds of those I have given them to….I feel happy and content. If you were closer, I would love to take in one of your trunks shows!!
    Stay warm.

6. Cheryl says:

Tim, I like the way you display and rotate your quilts; quite practical. I am curious about the size of some of the quilts in your pictures (Dick and Jane). I have plenty of ideas about what I would like to make, but I can’t decide on size. Each design has it’s own voice, I understand. What’s a good snugly size, twin maybe? Or is there a standard lap/throw dimension. Thanks.

those first 2 quilts (Dick and Jane is written on the batting packageand Dr Seuss are crib zize..can remember the actual size but it….most of the others are full or double…but I do a lot with vintage and antique so sizes are much less standard

7. quiltsalott says:

All my quilts are made to be used too. I love your display case. It’s mostly non quilters who ask that question.

8. Pam G. says:

As I’ve said before – you are such an inspiration! Love this post showing your work. I was so excited to be able to see your ‘Whole Thing’ quilt in Phoenix this week. In fact, I’m going back today & will be helping take down & pack the quilts. Also, I was on the parking garage elevator & spoke with a lady from Michigan that has been to one of your lectures. I didn’t get her name, but told her to tell you ‘Hello from Pam in Phoenix’. It was amazing how many people from Michigan were there. I worked the baggage check booth & met a lot of them. Also spoke with a vendor that lives around the corner from my dad in Marshall – small world…

9. Alex says:

Thanks Tim – you have given me some extra ideas of where to store my quilts 🙂 With the added advantage of minimizing long term damage. Do you ever worry about sun damage? If so, how do you minimize the impact? (I have resorted to showing the backsides of quilts (on the bed top) during the day, then turning over when the curtains are closed).

I have a rather dark house….lots of large windows but because of the orientation of the house I get very little sun so quilts dont go in sunny spots….but you are quite correct in the Sun Fading a quilt…..and I think you are doing the right thing

10. barbara corbitt says:

i have quilted for over forty years. all my quilts are hand pieced, hand quilted and donated to charity or if the Lord moves me, to a specific person. my income is less than four hundred dollars monthly for disability so buying fabric is not an option.i am completely out of fabric and desperate! i enjoy paying it forward and as you know, when you hand quilt, each stitch is a stitech of love. at first, i gave them to family and friends. that is until i found out they were selling them. and some had the nerve to come back and ask for another one. thank you for sharing what you do with your quilts and they sure are beauties. keep up the great work. babscorbitt@gmail.com

11. Pam G. says:

as always Tim I love seeing more of your quilts!
    My computer is acting weird so no more to the comment, hope your weather is better than here

12. annetisell says:

Hi Tim,you are a master!I live in Australia,and would love to know where I could purchase the Dr Seuss fabric for a new grandchild,best wishes,Annie

13. Ginney says:

Tim your quilts are all beautiful. You have an artistic gift.

Comments