Cabin fever anyone?

Cabin fever is an idiomatic term, first recorded in 1918, for a claustrophobic reaction that takes place when a person or group is isolated and/or shut in a small space, with nothing to do for an extended period. Cabin fever describes the extreme irritability and restlessness a person may feel in these situations.
A person may experience cabin fever in a situation such as being in a simple country vacation cottage. When experiencing cabin fever, a person may tend to sleep, have distrust of anyone they are with, and an urge to go outside even in the rain, snow, dark or hail. The phrase is also used humorously to indicate simple boredom from being home alone

From the week before Christmas to now I think the temperature has been above freezing one time…snow nearly daily…and no much sun to speak of.

I haven’t been very productive on the quilting front šŸ˜¦

I have had so many other things in line That I haven’t been getting 6 hours a day to hand quilt…but a few is better than none!

Perhaps with some warmth and a few days of sun I will get past the hump and feel like this

Mendelssohn Spring Song

I think I will do a very bright quilt next to help me remember there is still color out there

next quilt might need to be bold colors!

416980_114684575359267_670801360_n 563618_142588305902227_427475153_n

For now I am close to an end on basket quilt so back to work

Happy Quilting and stay warm!!

16 thoughts on “Cabin fever anyone?

1. Kathi says:

Please do not laugh when I tell you I have had cabin fever for lack of sunshine in my home state… while you have had cold… Florida got rain and cool weather and rough seas and overcast skies ALL THE TIME>…. you know those commercials where everything is grey until they take a remarkable new med that gives color to life??? lol Anyway… love the quilts in the wings… miss you being interactive at Celebrate Hand Quilting and hope your cabin fever heals with the hope of upcoming warmth and sunshine… glad you are walking in the garden and planning that! Getting your fingers into the dirt is better than any medicine I think! Hope it defrosts quickly. Kathi

2. Nancy says:

I have had the same reaction, hard to be motivated to do anything. But today the roads were clear and the sun was shining and I drove 20 Miles to buy fabric to finish UFO! My dog has also been down without her walks. How is Teddy in winter?

3. audrey says:

I think we’re all needing a good dose of sunshine!

4. KerryCan says:

Quilting actually really helps me get through winter–the colors, the warm fabric on my lap. I lose my mojo when the weather gets warm.

5. adaisygarden says:

I laughed out loud at your definition of cabin fever – especially the part about, “an urge to go outside even in the rain, snow, dark or hail.” After living in Florida for years, when we lived in Chicago I understood what the meaning of cabin fever was when for weeks the temperature was below zero. Your idea of making a bright & colorful quilt is great! Just the thing to welcome Spring (if it ever comes!).

6. Lynn says:

I have been thinking of you. Miss you on FB. Sure hope you feel better soon.

7. Alex says:

Thinking of you. It can be a challenge to shake off those dark days. Wishing for brighter (and more productive) days ahead šŸ™‚

8. Florence McConnell says:

Missing you on Vintage Quilt FB and missing pictures of Little Teddy on your blog!

9. STEPHANIE says:

Hi Tim
    Hope there is light appearing at the end of your tunnel!
    I am having building work done at the moment. (I’m in the UK with endless rain) It has all dragged on and means I haven’t had room to do any quilting for a long time. I have managed to create a little space but now my sewing machine has started to be awkward and at the moment I can’t get away to take it to be repaired! I can’t do any hand work because everything needs layering and I just don’t have enough space at the moment!
    I need to feed myquilting addiction by drooling over all your lovely work. (And as a dog lover i like to check out what Teddy is up to)
    So I have quite selfish reasons for hoping that you will be back on form soon!

I sure hope you can get it all sorted out soon…I know how it is to be unable to quilt for a while!…no fun!!….Im finishing up a quilt today and hop to get a blog post done as well!!

Comments