Fruit Basket Quilt Finished!

I finally got it done!!  The vintage Fruit Basket quilt ( Click here for the post about beginning the quilting) is quilted , bound, and washed.

I don’t always add a separate binding … in this case I used the backing fabric as the binding.  Here it is with the quilting finished and ready to bind

In order to bind this with the backing fabric I started by cutting the batting close to the edge of the top.

Fruit Basket Finished 002

Next I cut the backing fabric 2 inches wide (measured from the edge of the top).

Fruit Basket Finished 003

Next I fold the backing fabric to the top and tuck the edge under the top and batting and pin in place.

Fruit Basket Finished 004

now go back and fold the edge over again pinning in place

Fruit Basket Finished 005

Now stitch it down

Fruit Basket Finished 006

This binding could easily be made more narrow but cutting the backing less than 2″ and cutting the batting closer to the top.  I wanted the binding on this one fairly wide so 2′ was perfect for me.

Here are a few pictures of the finished quilt, and the back. (click pictures to enlarge)

Remember the 3 upside down blocks?  There are still there just as the the original maker placed them.

Fruit Basket Finished 018

I decided it was best to leave it … I think part of the charm is the mistakes…and leaving it as it was makes it more authentic.

I washed the quilt in the standard top loading washing machine in warm water, Tide detergent, gentle cycle, and dried it in the dryer on low heat.  The batting is Hobb’s Tuscany wool and I find that it washes up beautifully.  It is a very soft and fluffy quilt!

And Teddy Likes it too!!

Now I really do need to decide what is next!!  I’m itching to start another new one…..but I might need to go back to the pile of quilts I have already started….I’ll sleep on it and see….check back soon

30 thoughts on “Fruit Basket Quilt Finished!

1. Joan Clancy says:

Another teachable moment. Tim you are awesome! I learn so much from you. Thanks!

2. mehitabel says:

I love that you take these rather sad-sack tops and turn them into lovely, usable finished quilts! I’m sure the original maker is smiling at this!

3. adaisygarden says:

Beautiful. I love that you kept the three upside down baskets. I think it adds interest to the quilt!

4. audrey says:

Great basket quilt! I’m so glad you kept the original layout with those baskets. Very charming. Love the texture from your stitching. It’s always such an amazing transformation!

Awesome as always!

6. KerryCan says:

I was hoping you’d leave the upside down baskets! I completely agree about the charm it adds and the sense of the maker.

7. Suzanne says:

That really is great. Love that you left those few blocks wonky and the other direction. On your backing border, how do you handle the corners?

8. Joan gale says:

Such a lovely quilt and fab job fixing and quilting.

9. Lisa says:

Very nice quilting. I wish I had your talent and determination to complete these quilts.

• Eileen Mele says:

You have such ambition! You must have a family background with family quilts? Your hands must be so strong to keep on like you do. Hope you are well, and not snowbound! Take care, please. You are dear to me. Like a nephew, as I am an old lady!

It is funny but I do not have any quilters in my family background. I guess I just love them because they speak to me of comfort..and love and warmth….
        not bad on the snow here today….still very cold…later in the week we might be above freezing and melt off a bit 🙂

10. Pam says:

very nice, Tim! Hope you are feeling better. This winter has become Too long for me. All I have done is gone on a reading binge. Alas, no quilting and not much knitting either.

I am feeling better….I sort of ran out of steam for a while there….but with spring just a few weeks away I am feel revived and ready to be productive……
      I can understand the reading binge….however I have to say that time spent reading is never wasted time

11. Victoria says:

Vintage…if one didn’t know any better you’d think it was quilted a while ago. The wool batting and your washing it really give it that beautiful vintage look. I’m in love!! 🙂

Thanks!! that was my goal….to make it look like a real antique/vintage quilt….so people would look at it and not know that it was just quilted a few days ago

12. wanda says:

Beautiful work. How do you deal with a wavy poorly pieced quilt? I plan to baste with hundreds of pins and thread to stabilize it? What are your thoughts?

the more wavy and bumpy the quilt the less I pin baste it, If I over pin it I essentially pin the puckers in place and they will never go away……I sparingly baste the start in the center of the quilt and put it in the hoop….remove any pins that sre in the hooped area..then pull and tug on the fabric..top and bottom until all the wrinkles are smoothed out…then quilt that area..re hoop next to the quilted area….and again unpin and smooth and quilt….this pushes all the bumps ad wrinkles out to the edge of the quilt …..on the other hand if by poorly pieced you mean it is falling apart…loose seams etc….the only solution is to re-do all the seams to make it strong enough to quilt….if you dont the seams will all open up over time and with use…it takes a long time but when you consider all the time it takes to quilt it…it is worth the extra effort

Comments