I have been trying to decide what to do next since I finished the fruit basket quilt. What I finally decided on is this.
It makes me feel like spring! I love the colors and fabrics….the block has many names one of them is “basket of lilies” that also says spring to me. After all this snow and cold we have had this winter I am so ready for some sun and warm weather!
In this one I think the flowers look like Alstromeria
The top is all hand pieced and it is fairly large at 88″ square.
I have it all basted and ready to start quilting.
First I pin the backing fabric to the floor nice and tight. I use push pins to do this but if you don’t want to harm you floor you can use masking tape.
Next I lay out the batting and smooth out all the wrinkles.
In this case I am using Natures Touch Batting.
Next Put the top down and smooth it out as much as you can
here are the three layers
The thing with hand pieced vintage tops like this (this one for the 30’s I believe) is that they rarely ever are perfectly flat so you wont be able to get out all the wrinkles and puckers.
If you look at the triangles along the edges you can see some serious wrinkles! The cause of this is that they are cut with bias on the outside edge. This causes a lot of stretch and they get distorted when they are sewn in. I will have to fix that, but that will happen when I am ready to quilt one of those areas. I will do a post about how to fix it as soon as I get there.
I hate to baste a quilt with thread! I use safety pins…and not that nay of them. These blocks are 18 inches square and I wont use any pins in the blocks themselves I will only pin the sashing
Those puckered setting triangles look pretty bad now but when I finish you wont ever notice there was a problem.
I love ll the fabrics in this (click to enlarge)
It is all set to begin the hand quilting….once I get it into the hoop I will decide how I want to quilt it. More often than not I don’t plan the quilting I just do it….
In my last post I showed how I did the binding on the fruit basket quilt. I failed to show a corner so here it is.
I did not miter, I just folded the end in and overlapped…then stitched it down…I hope that makes sense.