Lily Progress

I finished up a second block on the Basket of Lilies quilt.

For the backing of this quilt I used a piece of fabric I had in my pile of vintage quilt tops.  I got the fabric with a quilt top I purchased a while ago. Someone had intended to use it as a backing for a quilt and it was the correct size.  The problem is that it is a cotton poly blend and it is VERY tightly woven (like a bed sheet), so it is very hard to quilt through.

It looks fine, but is a lot more work….the moral of the story is don’t use something just because you have it….it might save money, but in the long run buying the correct fabric is the way to go.

Here are some more pictures of the front and back (click to enlarge)

10 thoughts on “Lily Progress

1. dljolin says:

Thanks for sharing about the backing. I was going to ask if you piece your backs/match them/buy the wide backings or if you even had a preference. LOVE -absolutely LOVE the back pictures. One of my favorite things to do is look at the back. Also another question, when you finish quilting for the day, do you take it out of the hoop or leave it in if you know you’ll come back to it the next day? Curious……

I perefer to find a wide backing that I don’t have to piece….but if I find a backing of regular width fabric that I really like I piece it ….Actually my favorite backing is simple muslin….I do usually leave the quilt in the hoop all the time, it seems easier that trying to remember where I was working the last time

2. Julie Porter says:

Beautiful quilting Tim. About to start similar on my candlewick end white quilt. Thanks for the tip about the backing as I was just about to make the same mistake! You saved me interminable frustration. Julie

Sent from my iPad

Glad I posted before you started!….It is amazing how much more difficut the quilting is with the wrong batting….your project sounds like it will be a beauty!

3. Victoria says:

Are you pass the point of no return given how much you’ve done but how much more you have to do?

4. lilquilter says:

Tim, I love how you’re quilting Lily. And congratulations on being a semi-finalist at Lancaster. Will you be attending the show? I live a little over an hour from there and if I go, it would be so cool to meet you.

Thanks!!….unfortunately I wont be able to attend the show this year…I went to it last year and I do hope to be able to make it to the show next year…the calendar just didn’t work out for me this tiem…I hope that you enjoy the show!!…I found some great busy there last year…I still have a pile of fabric that I purchased that is waiting for me to make into a quilt (maybe next years entry?)

Comments