This and That

Last Night I was privileged to be a presenter at the CAMEO quilt guild in Clawson MI….I did my lecture/trunk show “Timespan Quilts..UFO to Heirloom”  Thanks to everyone at CAMEO!!!  What A fun evening of quilt sharing!  I had the best time!

I have been working on the Basket of Lilies quilt again  here are some pictures (click to enlarge)

Teddy was very excited to get his picture taken today….

I am likely going to be unable to resist going back to this quilt

easter top done 006

I have the batting and the backing fabric and I ordered some thread to use…and it arrived!

this n that 002

I am excited to try it out….so I might have yet another quilt in progress soon.

A few days ago I posted this

easter top done 007

I mentioned that I plan to put these trimmings out for the birds to use as nesting material.  I have been advised by my friend Ann (who in addition to being a bird person is also a quilter and gardener) that birds can be harmed by long pieces.  She says “Sherri Smith, bird rehabilitator in Ann Arbor, reports that they routinely get injured birds (hung by a leg, or a wing or claw) from string, etc that kind-hearted people put out. Make the scraps 3″, or less, long.”  So before you but out your scraps please remember to cut them down to size!

If you live in Michigan you might be interested in my next presentation.  I will be doing my trunk show for the Mid Michigan Quilters Guild in Mt. Pleasant MI on April 22.

The Program :Time Span Quilts – UFO to Heirloom will be presented by Tim Latimer.  He is a Certified Florist and a Floral Design instructor at MSU.  He has a degree in horticulture and is an avid gardener.  He also collects antique and vintage quilt tops and finishes them.  His goal is to preserve the fine art of hand quilting.  He has over 200 quilt tops and has decided to share them.

Here is a link to the Quilt Guild for more information Mid Michigan Quilters Guild Programs

Now I have to decide how long I can resist trying out that new thread!

20 thoughts on “This and That

1. Mike Pearson says:

I found this quilt top on the side of the road (antique shop). I thought of you. https://www.facebook.com/mikedpearson/posts/10152119358389550

2. Sharon Cratsenburg says:

It was a pleasure to meet you and have you at our CAMEO guild meeting last night. I think everyone really enjoyed your presentation and seeing all of your quilts. You do awesome work and now I’m inspired to work on the blocks I showed you. Thanks again for a great lecture.
    Sharon Cratsenburg
    CAMEO President

3. Colleen says:

I wish I had known you were going to be in Clawson. I work in Madison Heights and could have come over to see your collection!. You inspire me every day with your blogs and beautiful works of art! Thanks!

thanks Colleen!…I am sorry that you missed it….I posted about it on facebook but I guess I forgot to post it here as well 😦 I will try to remember to post all my future presentations

4. Pam G. says:

Awww… Precious Teddy! Love seeing your pics. Sure wish I could be in Michigan next month. I don’t think I mentioned – I helped pack your whole cloth quilt at the AQS Phoenix show. I feel honored to have actually touched one of your quilts (with white gloves of course).

how fun…I think being able to pack all those beautiful quilts would be a real treat….so glad you got a chance to see mine…pictures are nice but they never seem to be the same as the real thing

5. Kathi says:

LOVE that you have found a perle cotton with a sheen to it! I love that… and that voilet will be the perfect color for your wonderful stitching on that quilt… you are making great progress with the lillies too! Are you tempted to try out that thread though??? lol I am such a thread lover I doubt I could resist the urge to try! lol Kathi

Im working on the lily now and thinking about that thread more than about the quilt….so pretty soon I know I am going to have to break down and try out that thread….I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve…I just cant wait to open my presents!!

6. Julie Porter says:

Well Tim your inspiration is world wide now! I purchased an antique hexagon quilt top from the US (cost me about $60US for postage!). Now nail biting about quilt pattern. Thanks for the inspiration.
    Julie
    Perth , Western Australia

7. Pam Gardner says:

Thanks for the note about the birds! I love those baskets.

8. Ann says:

Hi Tim
    That purple thread is going to be gorgeous!
    ..and thanks for mentioning the safety precautions for our bird friends!
    My snowdrops are up so spring is going to happen, sooner or later…

Thanks Ann….I did see a few daffodil tips poking through in my front yard….still so much snow in the beds to melt….but there is hope…the robin who nested on my front porch last year is back

9. Mary S says:

Tim, thinking about you today and how much I enjoyed your lecture at CAMEO Guild. You really inspired me to try hand quilting. I watched your video at AQS Grand Rapids, that was amazing! I will have to try quilting with wool batting. You have such patience and diligence to complete these old vintage blocks and quilts. They were dying and you bring them back to life, thank you. You are an interesting and talented man, thank you so much for sharing your gifts with others.
    You are great!
    Mary

Thank you so much Mary! you make my day! I am so glad that you enjoyed the CAMEO presentation!…It is such a joy to me to when I have such a receptive attentive enthusiastic audience ….Sharing what I do make me enjoy quilting even more

Comments

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )