I said i was going to finish the Basket of Lilies quilt before I started work on the next one….well I lied…I couldn’t wait. Last night I spent 3 hours pressing the New York Beauty variation.
This is the quilt I wrote about here https://timquilts.com/2014/04/03/the-next-challenge/
It is a top that I really like but it has some real issues with construction. It is not square, or flat, and it has at some point in its life been machine washed which is never a good idea for an un-quilted top. Washing causes frayed edges and it causes distortion as it twists around in the machine.
Pressing was a long process and I found that starch was a big help in getting it to cooperate.
I did the pressing from the back so I could try to get the seam allowances to lay the correct direction. Most quilters follow the 1/4″ rule. all seams are 1/4 inch from the edge of the fabric. This quilt was anything but that! in some areas it was over an inch.
My first inclination was to trim off all the extra fabric. If I leave it I will have to quilt through it so in some areas I will need to be quilting through several layers of fabric.
I didn’t cut it off. This is hand pieced and if I cut off that fabric I will also cut off the knot at the end of the seam and weaken the whole thing. I decided it was better to leave it as is and deal with the extra rather than have the entire thing fall apart.
My goal is to finish it not re-make it. I want it to still look like the original maker envisioned it.
After I got it all pressed I moved on to basting it. I got the muslin backing down and the cotton batting and laid down the top
and then I pinned it
I am torn about the quilting. I had planned a Baptist Fan quilting but I think I can do better. A different quilting design might do better to flatten it out. I am undecided so I need to think about for a day or so before I start.
Meanwhile I hung up one of the new vintage tops to get a picture…here it is
Needs a good pressing but I think it will make a nice little quilt.
back to work for me