Spiderweb quilt top

Today’s vintage quilt top is a String pieced Spiderweb that arrived today.

.DSCN1539

It is an interesting pattern.  It looks like hexagons with yellow sashing.  The actual piecing is done with diamonds.

Here is another from my collection that needs to be finished

2012_0125string-star-foundati0001

Here you can see some of the individual diamonds.

2012_0125string-star-foundati0019

With 6 diamonds together you get a star.

2012_0125string-star-foundati0008 2012_0125string-star-foundati0009

These were pieced on a muslin foundation.  The “strings” in this one are straight and uniform sizes from block to block.

The strings in the new one are random and it changes to look of the spiderwebs.

These were not foundation pieced as you can see from the back.

The yellow print is consistent through the whole top.  There is a wide range of fabrics used, dating from about 1870 for the earliest, and 1930’s for the later. Here are close up pictures of some of the blocks (click to enlarge)

It might be a while before I get these tops quilted but they are fun to look at just as they are.

Back to work for me….

Happy quilting

20 thoughts on “Spiderweb quilt top

1. Sujata Shah says:

Tim, it is so nice to see this antique quilt in progress. I made one of these couple of years back after being inspired by Barbara Brackman’s post on this pattern. It was an absolute fun. Love the scrappyness of your blocks. Thanks for sharing!

2. roseermis says:

Thank you for showing how spiderwebs are constructed. It’s interesting to see the use of muslin as the foundation. I’m very impressed with the accuracy of that one. Have fun.

3. Dee says:

Love all your projects Tim. Do the blocks or tops you receive ever smell musty? I have some blocks from a Great Aunt and they are wonderful, Dresden Plate, all hand sewn, but they are very musty smelling. I know not to wash them until they are sewn into a top and quilted. Any suggestions would be welcome. Your Blog is a bright spot in my day. Thank you., Dee

A good airing outside for an afternoon usually does the trick…..get them outside and in the sun…If you lay an old sheet on the grass then the blocks on top, in a sunny place….an afternoon is usually sufficient….if that doesn’t work a spray of fabreeze, on the back side and let it dry

4. sara says:

It’s just amazing how those vintage tops just show up at your house! How lucky you are! 🙂

You just send out those “Come to Quilt Daddy” vibes, Tim — and the quilt tops just can’t help it!

6. Eileen Mele says:

My favorite pattern. I made a small one once, with black. My favorite table throw! Getting over gall bladder surgery this week. Yuk. Do you feel you survived yours o.k? Misery. I thinnk I’ll live, but for a couple days I didn’t care!

it was not as quick a recovery as I had hoped….but after a week I started to feel better….and within 2 weeks I was pretty good and eating became a lot more enjoyable because food didn’t make me sick anymore….I hope your recovery goes well ….and fast!

7. glendajean says:

Morning Tim, what a wonderful tutorial to wake up to, my lesson for the day Many thanks. I would never have thought it was made of diamonds it looks like a lot of fun specially to use up scraps. Thanks so much for sharing and I appreciate all the photo’s you take time to show us in detail. Cheers Glenda Australia.

8. Carolanne says:

Such an interesting post. Thank you.

9. Pat Long says:

They both look quite challenging- have fun!

Comments