Bad Day? make Brownies

Sometimes when there is too much to do ….house work, yard work, work work, people getting on your nerves….you just need to make a pan of brownies.

I invented this recipe and I share it here in the hope that some day when you feel the need you will give them a try.

Ingredients:

2 sticks of butter (or 1 cup or 1/2 pound)

2 cups of sugar

2 cups of flour

1 cup of cocoa powder ( I use Hershey’s because it is good and not expensive but use what ever you like )

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

1 1/2 tablespoons cinnamon (you can skip this if you don’t like the chocolate cinnamon flavor)

4 eggs (I always buy Jumbo eggs so 4 works…if you buy large eggs use 5)

I tablespoon pure vanilla extract

2 bars of Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate 4 ounces each, chopped (you can use 8 oz of chocolate chips)

8 ounces (half a bag) miniature marshmallows …early on I was going for a s’mores feel

2 cups chopped nuts ( I like walnuts or pecans)

about 4 graham crackers crushed …this also goes back to the early s’mores attempt

Frosting

2 bars of Ghirardelli semisweet chocolate 4 ounces each, chopped

1 cup heavy cream

1 Tablespoon corn syrup

I teaspoon Vanilla extract

Preheat the oven to 350

Line a 9 x 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper (the parchment should extend up the sides of the pan and extend past the sides a few inches)  generously butter the bottom of the pan and them sprinkle the crushed graham crackers in to cover the bottom of the pan. (use an aluminum pan with straight sides….brownies will not cook evenly in a glass pan and the edges will become crispy rather than chewy.

make the batter

Melt 2 sticks of butter in a large saucepan. (the batter is all made in the pot so use a large enough pot)

stir in the sugar…this will cool off the butter

add the eggs and vanilla and stir them in to combine…don’t use a mixer or they will be too airy

add the cocoa powder, cinnamon, salt  baking powder, and flour…stir until just combined ( I use a rubber spatula for all the mixing)

fold in the chocolate pieces nuts and marshmallows.  spread the batter (which will be very thick)into the pan and smooth it out

bake for 30 min (they wont look done but they are so take them out of the oven)

cool

frost

To make the frosting heat the cream in a pan until almost boiling, add the corn syrup and vanilla and then stir in the chopped chocolate….the hot cream will melt the chocolate…stir until smooth pout over the cooled brownies and then refrigerate them

Once they are cold use the parchment paper to lift them out of the pan and cut them into 24 squares

The Marshmallows disappear into the brownies while they bake …they mostly just add chewiness rather than flavor.  This is a one pot recipe and takes only a few minutes to make but they are so good!

Now if you want them to be diet brownies here are a few tips.

1.  the one you have to eat to see if they are any good before you share them is calorie free

2. the one you mess up while cutting them is calorie free so eat that one right away

3. they have no calories when eaten standing in the kitchen leaning over the sink to catch any crumbs

4.  it you don’t cut them at all the entire pan is calorie free….the way this works is you leave them on the counter in the kitchen and place a knife next to them, every time you go near them pick up the knife and cut of a sliver from the edge, the sliver can be up to 1/4 inch wide and 13 inches long….it is so small that it doesn’t count….and before you know it the entire pan is gone and you have not eaten a single brownie!

In all seriousness they are very good and somehow stress relieving …the hardest part is letting them cool…they really are best after several hours in the refrigerator.

This is all in my head and until now not written down anywhere so I hope I got it rightDSCN1772

I  hope you give them a try

30 thoughts on “Bad Day? make Brownies

1. Heidi Selig says:

This sharing of how to make the things you make [patterns and recipes etc,] is extremely kind, and generous, as it happens my day could be going better, and I am too fat to make brownies, but just the thought of your sharing this kinda cheers me up ! Thanks Tim !

2. Dana Silver says:

Those look amazing !

3. Renie says:

I’m enjoying the sensation of my mouth watering as I read your recipe and look at your pix. Thanks Tim.

Thanks! I think the picture turned out pretty good….I think I needed that to go with the recipe …I need to see the finished product before I can get excited about making it

4. Ann says:

Wow, these look really scrumptious. Will definitely make a batch. I particularly appreciate the dieting tips, LOL!!

5. Marcia says:

My gosh Tim, what AREN’T you able to do?? LOL! Will definitely try them!

6. DAVID LAMB says:

Good for you. Better than drinking. Happy stitching and snacking. David

David Lamb

7. Comcast says:

Lol, lol!

Thanks for the recipe!

Sent from my iPhone

8. katechiconi says:

They look fabulous, but I’m going to have to do more experimenting to make them gluten free before I can indulge!

that is a tough one…I have a hard time getting gluten free to not be dry….I need to do some more experimenting on that myself…Hope you can work it out

9. Annette says:

Sounds yummy! Thanks for the recipe!

10. El Forguson says:

i sure hope that i am one of those people who got into your nerves, i got this recipe as a punishment :), kidding aside, thank you for sharing your wonderful talent and what a talent you have, very generous of you to just do that. 2 sticks of butter and 2 cups of sugar sound heavens to me. More power to you and your little Teddy. Cheers!

11. Clara Zolud says:

OMGosh I am making this for Mother’s Day for my son in law, he loves Brownies and hey…..what is better than more brown points for Nana Clara, right? Thank you Tim for sharing. You have to be your mother’s GOLDEN BOY for sure! And I sure do hear ya on that work, work, work thing…my washer & dryer both broke down and I had the joy of lugging 8 loads of laundry to the laundromat today, not fun at my age, but it is done and new appliances arrive on Tuesday. With that said I think I will make 2 pans of brownies and sit and eat one all by myself! (y) Thanks again….sorry, I was venting, lol 😉

12. Shirley says:

Tim, how much is a stick of butter ( cups or ounces) please? Butter just comes in 250 g or 8 Oz packs here in the UK. These sound like Rocky Road brownies – might try adding dried cranberries to mine. Yum.

13. Carolanne says:

I always cook comfort food as a displacement activity. Your recipe fits my bill – I will give it try. Thank you for your spirit of generosity in all things.

14. helen says:

That smells soooo good! Thank you, Tim!!
    I like point 4! 🙂

15. Julie Porter says:

Yummy. Now make another batch and post to Australia. I am too busy quilting to make my own 🙂

Comments