Antique Quilt

I bought an antique quilt a few weeks ago and I finally took a few pictures of it today.

Teddy had to jump up on his chair so I could spread it out on the floor.

The front is a tumbling block pattern with fabrics fro the end of the 1800’s

and the back is known as cheater cloth which is a solid piece of fabric that is printed to look as if it is pieced.

The top is in bad shape with many of the fabrics shattered.  I would like to repair it at some point by replacing those fabrics.  Here are a bunch of pictures of the fabrics (click the pictures to enlarge)

18 thoughts on “Antique Quilt

1. Kathleen Campbell says:

Tim,
    I think that brown might have been green when it started. replacement is a good idea.
    Kathleen Campbell

Im pretty sure it was always brown…I have seen plenty of green fabrics fade to various other colors…lime green, teal, tan….but never go from green to dark brown

2. katechiconi says:

A lovely bit of vintage. Tumbling Blocks is one of my favourites, and I’m looking forward to seeing the restoration and finishing process.

3. dljolin says:

Another excellent piece! By the way, did you make the afghan on Teddy’s chair? Very pretty.

Teddy’s chair is covered by a rug that I made from 2 inch fabric strips…similar to a crochet rug, but this style is called a toothbrush rug…the needle is made with a toothbrush handle…I should do a post about making them some day

4. Joey Pack says:

Tim I haven some extra blocks from an antique quilt you might want yo repair some of that beautiful quilt. The blocks have some indigos if your interested leg Md know. Joey

Thanks! I might be interested, but it will likely be several months or more before I can get to it…so I don’t want to decide how to do it just yet…I have a few other tops that are in a similar shape and might use the fabrics from them so it is hard to say until I get going on it…

5. Karen says:

The back may be cheater cloth but the top looks to be mostly Civil War fabrics. You can easily find reproduction fabrics to replace the bad patches if you can’t round up enough orphaned or salvaged 1860s blocks.

6. roseermis says:

I do enjoy watching you work on your projects. I’m learning so much from you.

7. Gayle says:

Header for this column says “antiqie” instead of “antique”

8. Pam G. says:

This is such an awesome quilt! I love the cheater cloth – very interesting.

9. Audrey Waite says:

Love what you are doing to preserve old quilt tops. I love Teddy too. I used to have a wire haired terrier!

Comments