Great Scraps!

I got a new antique quilt top today.  Made in a scrappy pattern.

At first it looks like a lot of random squares but it is actually made up of nine patch blocks.  5 of the squares in the nine patch are made up of 4 patch blocks.  I drew lines around some of the nine patch blocks in this picture

DSCN1935-1

The sashing is made up of yellow squares and 4 patch blocks.

There is a tremendous variety of fabrics in this top.  The fabrics range from probably 1860 – 1900 and I can’t stop looking at them all.  I keep finding a new one.

I took pictures of all of the nine patch blocks so you can get an idea of the fabrics. I did not photograph all the 4 patch blocks used for the sashing but you can get a good idea of the range used.   This quilter had a great supply in the scrap bag!

Here are the pictures (click to enlarge)

Happy quilting

29 thoughts on “Great Scraps!

Amazing prints! I wonder if they realized what they had, and how people in the future would drool over the prints! 🙂

I cant imagine that when it was made they had any idea how excited people in the future would be over their scraps!…..but we sure do get excited by these old prints…I wonder if some time 100 years from now people will have the same reaction to our quilts?

• Laura in IA says:

I get excited over my old scraps when I put them into a quilt. I think it is partly due to memories in my case. My sister always said “fabric fondling was in our genes”.

2. Mike says:

My favorite kind of find…. Scrappy!

Oooh, those are sooooo cool.

I have been looking at all my tops the last few days because of a presentation I did for the Midwest fabric study group…..I am thinking that I need to get good photographs of every different fabric in all of the tops….big job!! but what a great book it would make

4. Lee Ann says:

Awesome scrappy top! You find the neatest tops. I’m stealing that pattern idea!

it is a great pattern Idea! Im not sure I have seen it before but I plan to use it some time too….I have a growing pile of scraps that need to be used some day

5. Victoria says:

Love the quilt!! Tim, I want to make an old fashioned Dresden Plate quilt with the rounded tops – not the pointed ones. Any suggestions on how to get those nicely rounded edges every time? Thank you. Victoria

Im the wrong person to ask about that….I don’t do applique very well myself 😦 some day I will take a break from hand quilting so much and learn hand applique better

6. gardnerpam6 says:

I love scrappy quilts. It’s probably because I am a color and design girl-I can never choose!
    What a find!

7. John Putnam says:

another top? wasn’t someone doing an intervention? I could have sworn you were swearing off buying more, but then is what I do and say about buying more fabric. I love your new er… old double nine patch. great design.

I keep telling myself that I wont buy any more and then I see them and I can’t resist…..but at least this is an addiction without any harm to health

8. Laura in IA says:

WOW! I am speechless.

pretty great isn’t it…sometimes I get lucky….I didn’t expect it to be so good the seller described it as feedsacks and didn’t have good pictures but I took a chance

9. Sharon in Galesburg MI says:

Love it – the scrappier the better! Nice find.

10. Wanda says:

LOL…bless your heart, you just can’t help but keep buying tops! May you live long enough to finish them all…and then enjoy them!

11. Pam G. says:

I am totally amazed at your finds! This one is awesome. Can’t wait to see how you quilt it.

12. Dot says:

I like the way the solid squares in most of the nine-patches are organized, with lights at the top and bottom, and browns/reds (or at least darker prints) at the sides.

13. Pam P says:

My eyeballs almost fell out when I saw that fabric with the swastikas on it!! For real?!?! Is it okay because it’s “pre-WW”?? Still an awesome quilt – I never find tops like yours 🙂

I have several quilts with a piece or two of fabric with the Swastika….definately had a very different meaning pre 1920….The word “swastika” comes from the Sanskrit svastika – “su” (meaning “good” or “auspicious”) combined with “asti” (meaning “being”), along with the diminutive suffix “ka.” The swastika literally means “well-being.” It is a common practice for Hindus to draw Swastika symbols on the doors and entrances to their houses during festivals, which is believed to symbolize an invitation to goddess Lakshmi.

The symbol has a long history in Europe reaching back to antiquity. In modern times, following a brief surge of popularity as a good luck symbol in Western culture, a swastika was adopted as a symbol of the Nazi Party of Germany in 1920, who used the swastika as a symbol of the Aryan race.

Since I know the quilt predates 1920 I consider that fabric to be an interesting piece of history…after that it is a different story…..anyway It is a cool quilt

• Pam P says:

Yes, it’s pretty fabulous! Thanks for your reply! I really enjoy your blog and getting the chance to see all of these great quilts. I really love that you are rescuing them – I have a GFG (flimsy) from my great aunt. The fabrics appear to be in really good condition but some mending on the seams is needed before it can be quilted. I check your blog often hoping to gather enough courage to begin working on it! Thanks again for your insight and knowledge of the much maligned swastika!

Thanks …and I wish you the best when you begin the GFG….I have a few that are still waiting for me to get to work on…..but one from a family member is extra special!!

14. Heather W Mallanda says:

I was about to quilt a top had saved from the thrift store, when I played it on my frame I saw a 9patch block, the middle block is a navy blue with poke a dots and swastikas, and the for corner blocks are the same as the center. It’s all hand stitched, I am not sure what I should do with it, I took it out of the quilt as a block, so it’s intact, any help would be appreciated.

before the 30’s the swastika was a good luck symbol and can bee seen in a lot of fabrics , it did not have any negative meaning before then and show up in may cultures …. . I would leave it in because that is part of the quilts history.

Comments