I have been working on re-making the New York Beauty top that I posted about earlier (see post here https://timquilts.com/2014/05/08/new-york-beauty-2/)
I originally thought I would need to replace all the white pieces in order to make it flat but I finally figured it out without the need to do that.
The biggest problem were all the pieces around the edges. They were all cut on the bias and stretched considerably. I took off the corners and pressed the center section
Some of the seams will need to be re-sewn taking a tuck along the edge (where I have it pinned) to take up some extra fullness.
After I get that sewn I will cut out the extra from the back.
Next I had to deal with the corners so I took out the sashing pieces and pressed the triangles and found out how off they really were
I cut off the excess on the sides and then straightened up the bottom edge of all 8 of them
Now the pieces are ready to use, but they are still bias cut and likely to stretch out of shape. I solved that problem by adding a narrow strip of fusible web to the bottom edge.
It will not show in the finished quilt but it will keep those edges from stretching until i get them quilted in place.
Next I sewed the sashing back in and found another reason that it was so “bumpy” The sashing strips were way off. a few inches longer than they should be.
They will be cut to size and the four corners attached….and then after a final pressing It will be ready to quilt