Progress and Plans

I am making progress on the New York Beauty quilt.

It is hard to see the stitching in this light but It is coming along.    Here are a few more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

I have been thinking about fan blocks lately.  One of the Facebook pages I follow (quilts vintage and antique) has been posting fan block quilts and if you look at this quilt each of these blocks has what is essentially a fan block in the corner.

Remember these quilts and tops I made with vintage fan blocks and new fabrics.

I have some more vintage tops, here are a few

2012_01159-27-120003 DSCN1497

and I have several more fan blocks. I have 100 in this group

I also have the purple fabric that I think really sets off the blocks.

I am thinking of how I might set them…..

Hand quilting gives me a lot of time to think…..and it will be a long time before I get to these…but it is fun to think about what might be next.

14 thoughts on “Progress and Plans

1. Robert says:

Like what you are doing, some beautiful old quilt tops. But have a quick questions – are you drawing the patterns (and/or the modifications/adjustments you made when you quilted it? Sometimes I see an old quilt or pattern and think that it would be fun to try to reproduce it. I’ll leave it up to you and buy the pattern later. Take care and keep on stitchin. From northern Iowa. . . .

Thanks. I have occasionally drawn up a pattern because someone asked for one…..I really need some software in order to make a decent quality pattern…My sketched out versions arent as accurate as they could be…working with old tops I just do a lot of fudging…make it fit etc….not really what people expect form a pattern….anyway someday I would like to be able to offer patterns….once I get better at making them

2. audrey says:

Your stitching is making the quilt come alive! Love the fan blocks and the different ways to put them together. Hand quilting does give lots of time to think, consciously or not.:)

Thanks….it is always so fun to see the quilt develop as the quilting goes in…..as I know you experience as well with your beautiful quilts…it is So true about thinking….I think a lot of it is unconscious ….then you wonder later where that idea came from …..

3. Barbara Wellman says:

It’s looking good! Love the first and last quilts in photos.

4. katechiconi says:

Love your fan experiments, especially the second one. Maybe we’ll see that one day.

5. Deb says:

Beautiful fan quilts! I like the purple fabric for your fans , makes the colors pop! Do your fingers ever holler loud enough though your deep thinking .. To say “ouch “I’ve had enough today! 🙂

Fortunately I have never had a problem with tired hands, when I first started quilting, and for the first few years, I did get a sore back ….I tend to hunch over when I quilt….the hoop on a stand helped that problem

6. Wow! How do you make so much progress on your hand quilting, that would take me at least a month to cover (or more). How do you organize your quilting time? Love the pattern you worked out and I enjoyed reading about your process in picking a pattern. thanks for all the info. and inspiration!

Thanks!
      I think I could be a lot more organized but I always have the next quilt or two in progress at the same time I am working on a few others….anyway I just quilt a lot…..usually 6 to midnight…then weekends maybe more if the weather isn’t good for gardening. All the quilting time has improved my speed….the first quilt I made took months!…the second one even more…..but as time went on I got faster…..

Comments