Keep on stitching

I always have several quilts in progress at once, and several more in my head.  Sometimes It seems like I don’t get much done an any of them because I keep switching back and forth.  I really do get a lot done….and eventually It seems like I finish one every week.

The one I have been posting about lately has become an obsession….I work almost exclusively on it ( but I think about the others while I hand quilt)

Not every quilt is like that,  some I am happy to work on only occasionally, but some I get more excited about and want to work on a lot.

Here are a few more pictures of the progress, of course Teddy had to get right in there to get his picture taken.

DSCN2473 DSCN2471

Speaking of Teddy he is quite the ham, and loves to have his picture taken!
This is one of my favorites, he often has that thoughtful expression and I wonder what it is he is thinking about.  DSCN1851

I don’t know if I ever shared his story before so here it is.

Teddy is a rescue dog.  He was adopted in Aug of 2009 and they estimated he was one and half so I think he is 6 now.   When he first came home he was all skin and bones and had been shaved to get rid of all the mats and tangles ….he was cute but in a different way.

2009_0822teddy0001

He was so shy and for the first few months he didn’t even bark.  He just wanted to be held or curl up and nap ( he still likes that).

2009_1026teddy-oct-200900052009_1112teddy-and-friend-090002

He must never have been outside because he didn’t like the grass and would only “go” on the sidewalk.  He didn’t have any idea what to do with toys and still doesn’t know who to play fetch.

I didn’t know what breed he was…..and as his hair grew back he got pretty fluffy.

2009_0829teddy-ect00112009_1201teddy-dec-090002

Everyone wanted to know what kind of dog he is…so did I.   The rescue group and the vet thought he was probably a terrier mix but I finally decided to do a DNA test.  Its is a simple test you swab the dogs mouth and mail the swab in for analysis.  That Is how I found out that he is a Miniature Schnauzer.  I wasn’t aware until then that they could be white, and often they have their tails docked and ears cropped (which I think is barbaric) also the American Kennel Club does not recognize white as an acceptable color.  So now I knew how to have him groomed and his personality sort of grew into his haircut.

I have been thinking about ways to make a quilt with Teddy as the subject.  I am planning to do a whole cloth quilt but that will take some real planning and time.   Meanwhile I ordered a piece of fabric from  Spoonflower.  They print fabric with your digital image. So I got a yard of Teddy fabric

I don’t know how I will use it yet but it is fun fabric!

Now here is the garden update Click pictures to enlarge)

Happy Gardening and Happy Quilting

58 thoughts on “Keep on stitching

1. Jan Marriott says:

You should have ordered at least 6 yards!!
    I am a fairly new follower and wonder what garden photos you show in the winter? Look forward to seeing them.

The company is great, I can order more any time….and as little as a far quarter…and in many different fabrics…this one is quilting cotton, but they have a lot of options, even silk
      I post Lots less garden in the winter……but some pictures of the snow and ice …l also teach floral design classes in the fall and winter so I post pictures of that…

2. Nancy says:

Teddy is a cutie. Our Suki took several years to recover from her previous life. Every step is a joyful victory. So happy that you two found each other.

3. Victoria says:

Love, as always, how the quilting is coming along. I am still going to get the hoop stand. Great shots of Teddy! Such a cutie!! And of course love! love! the flowers! You really are one of many Bright spots in my day 🙂

4. cmosey says:

One of these weekends Dean and I will use your garden as an excuse to ride the bike to Lansing. I will give you a warning “heads up.” 🙂

I love that quilt! Your quilting just enhances it!
    You could make a whole cloth quilt with a quilted Teddy in the center and use that fabric as the backing.

6. Karen says:

I have a white 6 yr. mini Schnauzer also named Eli (Sir Eli Braveheart) who was surrendered to me five months ago. He was a couple’s “baby” but six years later they had their own baby and Eli started to become aggressive toward the baby when it started to crawl so they decided to surrender him before something really serious happened.. Eli is my sewing supervisor, always under the sewing machine table. He never wants to sit and poise nicely like Teddy does!
    Karen

7. Sharon Eshlaman in Galesburg says:

My first love in life is for dogs, quilts and gardening coming in second and third, respectively. Teddy is just the cutest thing. He is so lucky to have had you rescue him and give him a great home! Thanks for the pics!

8. Chrisanna says:

Teddy has transformed under your care. I love what he adds to your photos, too. He’s just precious.

9. A wonderful story about Teddy. I have a rescue cat that has been just great. She can sit on the sewing machine when I quilt. Your garden is beautiful.

10. Tim, I noticed that you don’t have very many basting pins on your quilt that you are working on. I usually put basting pins every six inches. How do you decide where to place your pins?

I use as few as I can….Usually only in the sahshing, I think I use less pins with every quilt I do. the blocks in this quilt are 20 inches square and I didn’t put any pins in them….I have never had a pucker or wrinkle but I do keep the quilt tighter in the hoop than most people….

11. Pat Long says:

Teddy looks just like my wire haired terrier except for the coloring. She has been gone for many,many years and now I have two rescue dogs. Both are mutts but I still love them!

12. Joyce Royse says:

Your productivity amazes me, and your flowers are gorgeous.

Sent from my iPad

Thanks 🙂 ….the garden is looking pretty good….wont be long for some of the summer flowers….more variety and color….looks like rain is coming tomorrow …saves on watering.

13. Joanne Mitchell says:

I really enjoy your stories, especially about Teddy. I miss my little Griffon dog, also a rescue dog, who has to stay with his kennel family while I’m here in Japan due to quarantine rules. Dogs in my apartment are pushed about outside in specially made pushchairs so I understand how they and Teddy don’t get to enjoy running on grass. Thank you for the pleasure and encouragement yiu give me in sharing about your dog and quilting projects.

I am sure your dog will be fine with his kennel family and super excited to see you when you come home 🙂 I never heard of pushchairs for dog…I imagine that is something to see. Thanks for following my quilting adventures….and Hi from Teddy

14. katechiconi says:

What a great post! Beautiful quilting, lovely Story of Teddy, and the roses! Your garden is blooming beautifully.

Thanks! Teddy has so many admirers I thought he needed a post, He is so funny, he just got back from the groomer and he knows he is looking good so likely more pictures soon 😉
      ….but when the garden is in bloom I just have to share that as well

15. Mimi says:

Love your teddy story….once I read Miniature Schnauzer I was YES! but could not place him before the reveal. Perhaps because white is not a good schnauzer color he was “forgotten”. I love your roses….do you know the names of them? My roses are finished for the most part and this year for some reason the leaves have turned brown and many have fallen off.

he was forgotten that is for sure….I don’t know the details before I got him but it sure could have been that a breeder didn’t want him. I do know all the roses names….I didn’t list them in today’s post but I will try to remember to do it next time…sorry yours are turning brown 😦 some of mine are turning yellow but I htink some fertilizer will help that

16. Teddy’s story is lovely, and he’s such a handsome dog! Your garden is looking so pretty.

17. glendajean says:

Thanks for sharing such a lovely story. Teddy is so lucky to have found you, now you both have each other. What I liked in the photo’s is that teddy still has the same blanket that he had as a baby, I’m sure he loves it to bits even if he does not need that cuddly blanket any more now. Love love how the quilt is coming up, it is well named and you have given it back its real glory now Tim you are an artist with a needle. Your garden shows your other creative side, it is simply stunning so old English country garden it reminds me of the Secret Garden. Cheers Glenda Australia.

Thanks…..he really does love his blanket….it covers a chair in the living room….but he will not go to bed before he has a good roll in that chair…twisting around on his back…legs in the air….if he forgets and gets in his bed without his roll he gets back up and runs to the living room had a quick roll and then back to bed.

I have been inspired by pictures of English country gardens o it is good to hear that my Michigan City garden has that look 🙂 Thanks again

18. Nancy says:

Hi Tim… I’m new to your blog as of last week when a friend of mine sent me a link. She thought I would be interested in how you were fixing and quilting the antique quilt and I was. I subscribed immediately. Although we have been kitty rescuers with two that picked our home to beg for a meal and stayed, I love dogs just as much. What a handsome fella your Teddy is!
    I think most quilters are also gardening people and I’m one of them. I recognize many of your plants including the big Lady’s Mantle and your Astilbe getting ready to bloom. Right now our Foxglove are putting on a splendiforous show and I see you have a few. My potted plant focus is Epiphyllum. I have LOTS and they are putting on a show this time of year.
    You are doing a really nice job on that antique top rescue. Enjoying reading your blog!

Thanks Nancy! I think you are right….almost every quilter I know also loves pets and gardens…..I am blessed to have all 3…..as are you!

Thanks for following my blog….I love to share all my projects.

Lansing Mi had a really hard winter so I lost some plants….None of the delphinium made it, but several of the foxglove seedlings did….every season is different and that makes it fun
      I love Epiphyllum, but have not grown them myself…I mainly do outdoor plants since I have such bad light inside….I bet yours are beautiful!!
      Thanks again 🙂

19. Martyne says:

I love hearing your Teddy story again! I may order some fabric with a picture of my dog( also a rescued pooch), thank you for sharing that. Beautiful gardening and quilting have been going on at your house Tim!

Thanks! we are having fun with both the garden ad the quilting……hot outside today so its an inside and quilt with the ac day…..give your rescue dog a pat for me!

20. Renee says:

You and Teddy are both very lucky to have each other. I like the Teddy Fabric! Your work is a joy to look at and inspiring.

I can understand your obsession with this quilt top — the blue and yellow combo triggers shots of dopamine even from the photos. Excellent.

22. Mule Hill says:

Teddy is a lucky boy! I know you’re lucky, too, because I have a rescue dog with a story similar to Teddy’s. I feel blessed to have such a wonderful dog and to have watched him bloom. He went from an aloof guy to a spunky lovebug in a couple years.

Thank you for the reminder to get photo fabric from Spoonflower. I’ve been planning pet projects forever. Time to get on with it.

You’re making me miss my rose garden. I used to have 40+ bushes. I will again after my next move. Lovely pix.

Yes I /we are lucky! as are you!! dogs make a home more of a home
      I am looking forward to a project with that fabric from spoonflower…..should be ready to start in a few weeks….but it depends on how the other projects go….I hope you enjoy yours….it was easy to order. Hope you get a spot for roses….roses are one of the best parts of gardening for me

23. KerryCan says:

That Teddy is one lucky boy (and you’re pretty lucky, too!) I like the idea of the Teddy fabric a lot–and it gives me plenty of ideas . . .

24. Easy to become obsessed with this cheerful quilt. We rescued a cocker spaniel who did not bark for the first two weeks. We jumped when he speak up. We also rescued a female schnauzer mix. Very smart dogs. Lucky you that Teddy found you.

25. Matthew says:

What a beautiful story. Just a warning about spoonflower. Their fabrics are great for wall hangings but there have been some complaints about washing and fading. There are a number of online forums about it.

thanks for the warning….I think I will follow the washing instruction from the site…..phosphate free detergent and cool water on gentle cycle …..and see how it goes

26. Quilt is looking great, and loved learning more about Teddy and seeing pictures of the roses. Put Portland on your bucket list. We have lots of roses here, and the International Rose Test Garden is truly remarkable!

27. Helen Beall says:

Great story of your Teddy! And you have wonderful photos of your garden. What camera do you use?

28. gardnerpam6 says:

I would love to see a Teddy quilt. He is an angel!

29. I enjoy your posts so much, Tim. Love your quilts and your garden, and of course, Teddy!

Comments