Red White and Blue and a big Thank You

Since it is getting close to Independence Day I decided to post a few Red White and Blue Vintage quilt tops.

This one is machine pieced .  I think it is from the 50’s but I cant says for sure.

here are the blocks

DSCN2577 DSCN2576

It sure needs pressing!   I think it will make a great summer quilt!   Perfect for a 4th of July picnic.

This one is not really red white and blue, more like cranberry ….but I love the pattern

The pattern is relatively simple if you are comfortable with curved piecing…here is a block

when all placed together they look a lot different

It is interesting to see how the same pattern looks in different colors.   Here is a quilt I did a few years ago in a similar pattern.

2010_1106quiltsrmqm0025 2010_1106quiltsrmqm0028

This top has some problems.   It was washed so it is a thready mess on the back.  Fortunately it didn’t completely fall apart.

DSCN2572 DSCN2571

often washing will cause all the seams to unravel so much that there is noting but a few threads holding the piece together.

The piecing is not perfect at all.   There are many puckers and they all don’t line up correctly.

I will hand quilt it as it is.   The puckering will be much less noticeable once it is done.

I have a few more Red White and Blue tops that I will share in the next few days.

Now for the stats.

I started this blog in March of 2011.   Last night I passed the 750,000 views mark.

stats

When I first started this I had no idea that so many people would be interested in what I do.  I the first year I averaged 58 views per day.  It is now up to over 1000

averages

and from all over the world

country

I want to thank every one of you for reading my blog and following along with my projects.  All of you help to encourage me to keep on quilting and gardening and trying new things and I Thank you all!!  It is such a joy to do what I love and to share it with such great readers!!

Thanks to all

34 thoughts on “Red White and Blue and a big Thank You

1. Espirational says:

Like the quilts. Congratulations on the stats.

2. Cathie King says:

Thank you! I’m relatively new to your blog and I’m enjoying it immensely. Your work is lovely. have you admit also I have 2 schnauzers so I always love to see what your Teddy is up to. Thank you again Sincerely Cathie

That pattern is really neat, it turns the blocks into looking like the sashing, I love blocks that become something else when it’s all put together.
    Great stats!

4. njquilter24 says:

thank you! I have to tell you I am always inspired when I come visit your blog not only for your beautiful inspiring hand quilting, seeing your antique quilt top collection and your gardens I can only ever dream of having but of course seeing Teddy!
    Kathie

5. Jeanette says:

WE thank you, Tim, for sharing all you do with us. We all marvel at all you get done and still have time to photo and post all that you do. Your family should be very proud of you ! And we all want to adopt Teddy !

6. Victoria says:

Thank YOU!! Tim! for keeping hand quilting alive and well for so many of us who love an appreciate it’s beauty. I’m trying to remember how I learned about you. Probably “googling” hand quilting one day.

7. Shirley says:

Like everyone else, Tim, I am amazed at how much quilting…..AND
    gardening that you get done!!! You are an inspiration to me, and I
    have been quilting for 45+ years! If I have learned anything in my 68 years, it’s that you can always learn and always be in awe of others.
    And, Teddy……..what a doll!

I agree with that!….and I was so reluctant to get into blogging at first, but I found out how much is out there….it is amazing to be in touch with so many quilters around the world…all of whom I learn from…from blogs of others, and pictures of their work….and now I also have lots of great Facebook quilting friends….wow quilts bring people together…as do cute dogs 😉

8. Deb says:

The scrappy quilt is fantastic !! Thanks for sharing your talent with us all! Sure glad I stumble across your blog! 🙂

9. Ann says:

I love the first quilt. Congrats on all the blogging success- well earned!

10. Debbie says:

I love the look of hand quilting. Your blog has inspired me to get one of my tops out and get going on it. You can’t get anything done if you don’t at least get started. Thanks again.

11. mehitabel says:

Looking at the first quilt, I think I had some of those printed checks in the late 60s or early 70s. It looks to me as if some of the blue ones especially are put in upside-down, i.e. with the wrong side showing. They faded a lot in washing, too. I wonder if I have any of the leftover pieces still–I’m working on getting my stash organized but it’s slow going in the heat we have out here!

Gingham checks have been around since the 1800’s without much difference in the print so it is hard to tell a date, it could be as late as 60’s or 70’s but feels older….I have several pieces of gingham in quilts that are over 100 years old….none of these are in the wrong side up…I can tell this because the fabric is printed…the design is not woven in but printed on so the back is very obviously the back.
      Hope it cools off so you can get your stash organized

12. katechiconi says:

Surely it’s we who have to thank you for your amazing blog, for your garden to enjoy vicariously, and for the learning you share about vintage quilts. Thank YOU!

I like that first one — does seem very ’50s for the almost prim design. The second one — what’s the Brackman’s. I’m sure that I tried to ID it back in the day and could not visualize the block until you patiently told me to start at the outer edge…. Wow, it’s been since 2011! Seems like yesterday. At least I can count myself among the earlier believers. We’ll have to think up a name of your quilt followers, something like Tim’s Quilt Posse. Everyone who makes a pilgrimage to visit you in Lansing gets a “Teddy Inspected Me!” pin. I’m still keen on developing the Latimer brand.

Brackman # on the second one is 2969….all that time looking at all those quilt sure made me know how to use that book….hard to believe how time flies…seems like yesterday! Love the name Quilt Posse so cool
      Teddy inspected me pins sound great……he would feel so important!

14. Jill Buckalew says:

And thank you Tim for sharing with us.

15. Debra Gutenson says:

Tim, thank YOU for all you do! I look forward to your posts, and drool over each one. You are such an inspiration, and so generous in sharing.

16. audrey says:

Congrats on your readership! You are a huge inspiration to me.

Comments