Vintage quilt top pair

I have a pair of vintage tops today.

These came from the same seller who got them at a farm auction in Omaha Nebraska.  I am sure they were made by the same person.   They have so many fabrics that are the same.

This blue one (presumably for a boy)

and a pink one (for a girl)

The are in pretty good condition despite the fact that they have been washed.   Washing a vintage top prior to quilting is never a good idea.  They can fray so much in the washing machine that they fall apart!  In this case the only real damage is a lot of thread that will need trimming.

They also will need a bit of repair to make them easier to quilt

The  solid fabric is larger than the pieced sections and then forced to “fit” causing a lot of puckering

The edge of this one almost looks ruffled.  I will need to take off the solid fabrics, press all the pieces, measure and re-cut the solids and sew it all back together.

Here are pictures of the blue one (click pictures to enlarge)

And here are pictures of the pink one

I think these should always stay together.  They are different.  the pieced sections in the pink are wider than in the blue (one square wider) But I like to imagine that they were planned to be given to siblings and I hate to break up a family.

WIN_20140622_234235

24 thoughts on “Vintage quilt top pair

1. Jan Marriott says:

breaks my heart to split a pair.

How did I miss that auction? I’m not far from Omaha and I should have been there to snap up those two! Awesome quilts, I can just imagine the great stitching that you’ll do down those solid pathways! Good find!

3. Mardee Dowdy says:

While we enjoy seeing you peeking up from your beautiful stitching, Teddy is feeling certain huffiness that his photo is missing!

4. katechiconi says:

Just out of interest, if a quilt is hand stitched and you have to take it apart I assume you hand stitch it back together once you’ve resized the necessary pieces? And likewise, if it’s machine sewn, you machine stitch it together again? And by the way, Teddy is an expert photographer with a great deal of affection for his subject!

as with most questions about what I do the answer is “it depends” Many quilt tops…this one included are partially machine stitched and partially hand stitched….in the case all the strips of squares are hand pieced and the solid parts are machine stitched….I will re-assemble them same way. I repair tops where the pieces are irregular and nonuniform and i find that I have better luck hand piecing them, even it they were machine pieced. I often take a top apart into individual blocks and press and resize them then machine sew them back together even if they were hand done. I don’t have a set rule and it depends on the condition of the top and what I feel will give me the best results.
      and Teddy says thanks!

5. Byrd says:

A very talented pup, indeed! I’ve been looking for new ideas for a one patch scrap quilt – think you might have pointed me in the right direction! Take care, Pam

Sweet pair. Looking very professorial there, Tim. You should have the So-and-So Endowed Chair of Quilting with scads of endowment money — or maybe no — there would be no more vintage quilt tops left on eBay, the market would collapse!

‘Bout time that Teddy got a job. Adorability aside, he shouldn’t be living off his looks forever!

LOL…..I always hoped I would look professorial!…..I guess I finally got there….when I first started teaching I was pretty close in age to the college students…..now I’m older than their parents!

I don’t know if there is an endowed chair in quilting but that sounds like a great one!!! I will be accepting donations to establish this ….. 🙂 and Teddy can be the official photographer …and sniffer

7. Shirley says:

Just a thought, quilt them together. one for the back, one for the front.
    that way, they most certainly will always be together. just a thought!
    would be a bird dog to quilt!

good thought but I could never do it….they are not exactly the same so the quilting would not look right on one side or the other….which is really too bad because that would be a great way to keep them together ….I might have to think of a way to do it

8. Anne Kasten says:

That Teddy is very good with a camera!

9. KerryCan says:

These are wonderful–I especially like the blue one. I think you’re so right to keep them as a pair–they belong together!

10. Donna K says:

Good Morning Tim!
    Those tops are a fun find. Can’t wait to see what you do with them after you reattach the solid bits to fit.
    How big are the small pieced squares? Are they two inches?
    Have a great day.

11. Mimi says:

Tops are certainly scrappy but not hap hazard scrappy. The pattern is every other square in a row is the same. They don’t stand out as a pattern until you start looking at the individual squares. These unfinished tops that you show us hit way to close to home as I think of this or that top of my making sitting in some closet….. stuck.

12. These are simply gorgeous. I especially like the pink one. Can’t wait to see what you do with it.

Comments