Preview of the next project

I am nearing the end on the current quilt

and I am planning for the next hand quilting project.

This mid 19th century top is the next big project. This is a special project that I am doing for a good friend and quilt collector.

I get so excited about it every time I look at it.   It is such a great design and the fabrics are beautiful. (click on the pictures to enlarge)

DSCN2656DSCN2662 DSCN2661 DSCN2658 DSCN2657

here is the back to show the stitching.

It will be a few more days before I start this but I will be sure to post lots of pictures as I work on it. The quilting on this will be very dense so it will not be a fast finish.

Here is what is growing in the garden today after a few more days of rain. (click pictures to enlarge)

Lots of weeds growing!  time to get to work on that

Happy quilting and gardening

26 thoughts on “Preview of the next project

1. Janet says:

I’m so excited that this will be your next project. That top is unbelievable gorgeous!! I can’t wait to see how you quilt it!!

It is a stunner! I am so glad I dont have to do the applique….I am not very good at that…..but I love hand quilting…this will be a joy because it is so special

2. Cathi says:

Oh, my what a stunning quilt that next one is! Not to say that the current quilt isn’t, but the next one really is breathtaking. It’s going to be fun to watch it come to life with your quilting.

That is certainly a WOW quilt! I know you will do it justice!

Yes, every time I see it again it reminds me how amazing it is — really pops, and at @ 150 years old!

5. audrey says:

Wow! Love this quilt. Fabulous applique work!

6. Deb says:

Tim, it’s always fun to see a project nearing the end! Nice work!
    The flowers are lovely! And weeds always are growing.. The pains!😟
    The appliqué quilt is wonderful! Lovely piece of history! I don’t do appliqué ! Tried it once and it ended up in the trash!

7. gardnerpam6 says:

lovely quilts, lovely flowers!
    I spent lots of time weeding today. I love my gardens but the weeds are crazy bad this year!

8. Pamela says:

Love the new quilt project. Applique is my love and this is nicely done by the pictures.

9. fractalgal says:

The new project looks great. I’m trying to motivate myself to get my son’s quilt basted so I can begin hand quilting it this fall. Lovely flower photos.

10. That applique quilt is absolutely beautiful! I look forward to seeing how you quilt this one! You have a fantastic flower garden!

11. Pat Long says:

The applique quilt is absolutely marvelous! It will truly be a treasure when finished. Your garden is awesome!

12. Dawn Cooper says:

Do you have a name for this applique pattern & a date from the owner?

i dont have a name for the pattern….have not been able to find another example . the date as I said is mid 19th century. 1850 or there about

• Dawn Cooper says:

There is a crib quilt on the Vintage Blessing e-bay site that is called “Crossed Tulips” that is a similar pattern to this design. It is a somewhat simplified version.
      Dawn

13. Ann says:

Wow, wow, wow!! What a gorgeous quilt. Can’t wait to see how you quilt it. The colors are amazingly bright-looks like it was well cared for.

Love the flower photos. I really miss my clematis and climbing roses. ( My New Dawn froze to the ground this year, too) I have to figure out where I can put some of both here.

I do the wow wow wow myself every time I look at it….its going to be a true pleasure to work on it!

New Dawn is working on a recovery….I am sort of amazed at all the new growth. Hopefully you can find a spot for one there because they are really great once they take off. I am really surprised with the clematis Jackmanii, I just planted it last year and it is really doing great. others have sat for years before they did much. have you grown the non climbing type before? I think I want to give them a try
      happy summer!

• Ann says:

I think I’ll take a cutting of my New Dawn and root it for here. I was sad that it froze because it was so incredibly lush for the last several years; it had grown up over the garage roof (we bent coat hangers to hold it up along the eaves trough, and it bloomed like CRAZY- really lovely.

Yes, I actually have one of the non climbers; got it at one of the Cooley Plant Sales. It is the most amazing shade of blue. The problem is that it is SO low that you really have to be looking for the flowers. I planted it next to a ‘Walker’s Low’ catmint with the mistaken idea that it would scramble through the mint. The clematis had other ideas!

I think that if climbing clematis are in a spot they like they just explode. And the reverse if they don’t like their site (I have one like that at home). The ones in the Gardens were so amazing

Happy summer to you too!

PS Love your rose ‘Verdun’. Gorgeous!

I got the verdun from Nancy Lindley ….let me know if you want a cutting