Vintage Wheels

I just purchased this set of 26 wheel blocks.

new-wheel

They are 17″ diameter and will be enough to make a full quilt.

I placed a few of them on a few different fabric backgrounds to show how different colors change the overall look.

DSCN2664 DSCN2665 DSCN2666

These are just fabrics I had on the pile, and all are to be used in other quilts so we aren’t voting.Β Β  I will purchase some fabric for these when I get ready to start….

They all have the same pink yellow and green print fabrics.Β  The yellow and green have dark blue print and the pink has black.

I don’t know that this is the setting I will use I might do a variety of colors for the background, but I have several in line before these…..so many quilts so little time πŸ˜‰

31 thoughts on “Vintage Wheels

1. Pamela says:

So true! I seem to accumulate unfinished quilts because I want to move on to another project.

2. katechiconi says:

LOVE them on the yellow and lime background, it’s one of my favourite combinations, greys and citrus.

3. Ann says:

I love them! The polka dot background looks amazing.

4. Sandy says:

Tim, I’d like to see those wheels on a black background. I know that’s not the “vintage” look you’re after. But I believe that it would look fantastic.

I will not say never but ….not black….I love the look but I just hate to work on it……It is a lint trap for me….I have a quilt that I did with a lot of black a number of years ago and I have never used it because I can never get all the lint off of it…I wash it and wash it, use a lint roller, masking tape….never free of lint.

Those prints are just downright nifty. What era? If vintage, ’60s?

6. Deb says:

The lime and yellow give it a more contemporary feel , the red .. The little circles are neat but it doesn’t go with the pink in the blocks, the blue gives a older feel. Just my way of looking at it. πŸ™‚ very nice blocks!!

none of those are what I will use they are already spoken for in other quilts…I just wanted to show how the background fabric changes the look of the blocks. I just grabbed 3 fabrics off of the pile. I might do blue, I do like the lime green but not that exact fabric….Im in no hurry at all….I will know the right one when I see it πŸ™‚

7. John Putnam says:

oh crap I thought we got to vote and every one would love the lime green and it would become the choice. it really does look good with the blocks. Didn’t you swear off buying more blocks and tops? You probably have the same resolve that I have in place for not buying more fabric. mine is not working so well either. The blocks are a great find and I am sure whatever you decide will work. You do have a special talent.

LOL….no voting ….My quilting is nondemocratic…LOL
      I did swear off buying more……wonder why i can’t stick to that? I think the first step would be to stop looking at eBay….I really should see about blocking it from my computer πŸ˜‰

8. Sandy says:

Well, since black is out….LOL….is that gray in the circles that I see? Try it on a gray background.

There are a few different gray fabrics….sort of dark gray and a blue gray…..I think I might use them as borders if I can get a match….It will come together when I take a block to the fabric store and see what I can find….I am actually thinking of a stripe…if I can find one in the sale section πŸ™‚

9. lilquilter says:

My vote is for the lime green! Those blocks are so cool…very different. I can’t wait to see what you end up doing with them. Quilt on!

10. Mary Ann says:

Wow, I love the red and polka dots. Changes the look entirely.

Different background colors really do change the overall look. Last time I did a quilt with a red background I had many people think I was nuts…but it is one of my favorite quilts

11. Rebecca says:

Love these circle blocks! I would not venture a guess on the right fabric combination for these. I think it will be one of those “you will know it when you see it”. I am sure you will find the ‘right’ one!

That is exactly it….I will know it when I see it!….I plan to go to the AQS show in Grand rapids this summer…they have tons of vendors …I might find just the right thing there

12. Pat Long says:

I love the red polka dots!

13. The red and white just slays me. Love, love, love! I wouldn’t worry about it going with the pink, but if you must go in a different direction, try another print with circular elements. I’m still rooting for the red and white, though.

14. peppercory says:

1958. Well, why not? Wait a little while before deciding on the background……..

15. Love those blocks!! They look fab on the red dots.

16. […] I made this top using vintage blocks back in June of 2014….here is the post about it https://timquilts.com/2014/06/28/vintage-wheels/ […]

Comments