String pieced vintage quilt top

This vintage quilt top is my new favorite.   I don’t know the name of the block but it is similar to this one

string snowball

This block is called String Snowball.  I finished one like it a while back but the blocks were arranged like this

string snowball varr

Here is the quilt

finishing-binding 019

finishing-binding 026

This quilt top has that same string pieced section but instead of the 1/4 circles  it has the black footballs and the yellow squared to set the pieces together.

There are lots of fun fabrics (click pictures to enlarge)

I am looking forward to hand quilting this one!!

The new York Beauty quilt is finished!  it is in the washer right now….I will post pictures tomorrow.

13 thoughts on “String pieced vintage quilt top

1. Pat Long says:

Another beautiful quilt!

2. Debbie says:

It looks like a school of fish to me.

3. Helen Beall says:

Those black footballs take it out of the ordinary! Wonder if red ones would do the same?

4. Your speed (and accuracy) is astounding, Tim, and on a day of depressing news it is pure pleasure to read your blog. To me, the quilt looks like a strip-pieced square with curved corners added in Drunkard’s Path style.

5. Deb says:

Very interesting quilt,Never seen a pattern like ! Love all the color it has!

6. katechiconi says:

Wow, that’s spectacular. Amazing how black makes everything pop.

7. Rebecca says:

I really like this top, but I love string quilts! Such great fabrics in this top! I have never seen this pattern before.

I love to look at all the fabrics…when I hand quilt it I will get to look at each piece up close and personal…I always find a few I didn’t see before

Comments