Finished!

I finished hand quilting the New York Beauty quilt last night.  I started with a vintage quilt top that needed some work …DSCN1784 DSCN1783

You can see how I fixed it here    https://timquilts.com/2014/06/06/new-york-beauty-re-make/

Here you can see how I decided on the quilting design    https://timquilts.com/2014/06/09/how-i-decided-on-a-quilting-design

The quilting in the white spaces was easy.  The quilting on the pieced sections was not!….it is always much more difficult to quilt across seams.  These little triangles had quite large seam allowances and made it very bulky…several layers to quilt through.  My quilting stitches in these areas are not as small and uniform as they are in the white areas but I think the overall look is fine.

It took 3 weeks to hand quilt….but to put that into perspective it was about 200 hours of quilting….( I was a bit obsessed 😉 )

After I finished the quilting and binding I washed it and dried it, and here is the result. (click pictures to enlarge)

While the quilt was in the washer and dryer I decided to finally finish the pillow I started back in April, see that post here  https://timquilts.com/2014/04/15/vintage-lone-star/

Here it is finished

DSCN2750 DSCN2749

I am going to try to finish one of the many quilts I have already started in the next few days.   I put this one back in the hoop…the quilting is easy and It should go fast.

Happy Quilting!

49 thoughts on “Finished!

1. Jan Marriott says:

I hope you are proud of yourself.

2. Sharon in Galesburg MI says:

Simply spectacular!!

3. Looks amazing, can’t wait to see it in person!

4. Helen Beall says:

Monogrammed pillow is divine!

5. You always pick the perfect quilting designs. Beautiful!

6. fractalgal says:

I love before and after pictures. Beautiful!

7. Prairie Quilter/Nebraska says:

Another great finish. I am fascinated at the before and after photos. Lots of work, skill, problem-solving, and time goes into making these vintage beauties into true heirlooms. Nicely done.

8. Susan Green says:

Amazing work! I love your choice of quilting patterns.

9. Deb says:

Fantastic work!! I’m slow when getting quilting done because of other responsiblies , but do enjoy seeing your projects!! The last top is unique but I like it!

10. Rebecca says:

It is amazing to see the before and after photos! Absolutely beautiful quilting. I went back to your link to see how you fixed the top before you quilted it. The fusible web on the edges was very ingenious! Your pillow is just beautiful too. I absolutely love the basket quilt!!

Thanks!….I use fusible web for repairs sometimes…its a bit hard to hand quilt through but it doesn’t show so it was perfect here …I am lookif forward to finishing the basket quilt….it is a different style for me…but fun

11. sara says:

Obsessed and very well done! 🙂

12. Jill says:

Excellent! All your tedious work has brought an antique quilt top to a completed quilt as it was intended.

13. Alex says:

Beautiful quilt. You’ve done another fabulous job. Loved seeing the progress from start to finish.

14. 200 hours in 3 weeks! Its a beauty! What will you do with the quilt?

I will send it back to its owner …who will add it to his collection…and will be included in his Book on quilts in the New York Beauty Pattern. Most of the quilts I make are added to my collection and I use them …and also use them in my lectures and trunk shows

15. katechiconi says:

Yet another piece of exquisite quilting. It deserves its place in the collection and the book. And that cushion is outstanding too.

So beautiful — but I can’t show it to Andrew, he will moan and sigh, doesn’t think he’ll ever have a beautiful quilt in his life. Poor man. 😉

17. Diane says:

It’s beautiful and a labor of love but I’m always surprised to hear you put vintage quilts in the dryer. I have to hang them up on a clothes line! If not outside then on the one in my basement, but that’s just me.
    My poor garden is underwater after yesterday’s storms hope yours is doing well

Thanks
      I put them in the dryer, and wash them in the washer…since I have added new backing , batting and quilting they are strong and can take the washing, hanging a wet quilt on a line puts a tremendous amount of stress on it…it is very heavy and that pulls on the fabric and stitching …that is much more dangerous than the dryer. it not dried in the dryer that should be dried flat…that being said….whatever works 😉

18. audrey says:

I never cease to be amazed at how fabulous the quilts look after you’re done with them. I think you have an instinctive idea of what the quilt needs most. Yay for another fantastic finish!

Thanks! Sometimes I think the quilts talk to me…..not always …I have one I have been working on off and on since 2009 …I think it doesnt like what I was doing

19. KerryCan says:

This is the best one yet, I think! I love everything about it.

20. Celia says:

Simply beautiful! Your work is amazing, and I am always inspired with your quilting. (celiaambrose@hotmail.com)

21. Sandi says:

Just beautiful! Wish I could quilt that fast!

22. terryknott says:

Wow! I know Bill and look forward to seeing this quilt in person. Amazing work, Tim!

23. Pamela says:

Beautiful. Another quilt finish. I wish I had the time to quilt that you do. I don’t think that I’ve worked on quilts for 200 hours this year. But, I keep plugging away at projects. Did you enter anything in AQS Grand Rapids for us to ooh over at the show?

I worked on it over 3 weeks….so many hours were spent on the weekends….and then 6 pm to 12 every weekday day…..it adds up
      I have 2 quilts in the Grand Rapids show….one in the hand quilted wall quilts category, and one in bed quilts, they dont have a separate hand quilted bed quilt category so it will be in with all of the bed quilts

24. Lorij says:

They are all very, very nice. You do beautiful work and fast!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )