Piecing progress

I am making progress piecing the vintage blocks for the new quilt top.

I Have one more row to add and then I will fill in the edges and then add a border.   I will need to go back and make some adjustments since every circle was a different size it takes some adjusting and a lot of pressing to make it all fit.

What I love about this is the secondary pattern that forms when the wheels are joined.

It starts as this.

new-wheel

and when they are joined you can see some other patterns emerge.

DSCN3047 DSCN3046

Teddy seems happy with them.

DSCN3038 DSCN3034

Here are few more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

20 thoughts on “Piecing progress

Oh gosh, I just love this — the top comes together with both unity and with a kind of multi-level trompe l’oeil effect. You eye can pick out multiple patterns at different depths. I think this is quite brilliant. I think Teddy agrees — he looks particularly enthusiastic. You’ve probably earned a gold star from him on this one.

Thanks! I really am pleased with how it is going….the secondary patterns that happen with quilt blocks is a constant source of amazement for me…..and as you know it also makes quilt block ID a fun challenge!

2. sue ryan says:

Great blocks/design! I see the rotor on the nose of an airplane!

3. Dixie says:

Very cool, and quite atomic looking. You picked the perfect background fabric for this quilt!

4. joyceicles says:

So glad you went with this fabric the others didn’t do it justice. It looks absolutely fabulous. (So does Teddy)’

5. Laura in IA says:

The effect you created with the background is the kind of thing that thrills me about making quilts! It’s wonderful.

6. Diedra says:

Great quilt Tim. How do you “fill in the edges” with circle blocks? Thanks, Diedra

I will use the same pieces as I used for the center and then cut off the edges to form a straight line >>>i will post pictures of that when I start

7. Kay says:

I just LOVE it!! I’m always delighted to see what you’re working on. Teddy is just too cute!

8. lilquilter says:

The background fabric goes so well with the vintage blocks! Wherever did you find it? New-retro-repro? Vintage yardage? From your stash? It really is the perfect choice. Awesome!

9. Paulette says:

This is looking fabulous! What a perfect choice for a background fabric!

10. Martha says:

Love what you’ve done with these blocks — the background fabric is fabulous. I’m excited to see how you’re going to quilt it.

Comments