Yikes!

Sometimes I buy a quilt top even though I know I shouldn’t. The one that arrived today is a case in point.    I saw it on eBay and loved the simplicity.   In the picture I could tell that it wasn’t flat….but I figured it would be relatively easy to fix.  This is the picture that the seller posted.

full

I can tell it isn’t flat, the bottom has a pretty good sized fold in it in the center, but the pictures did not show how bad it is.

This is what the seller said about it:

This is a vintage machine pieced lone star variation quilt top. Cotton and cotton blends. Some stains.  It measures approximately 84″ x 80″

I measured it.   It is 74″ wide at the top, 84 inches wide at the bottom, the left side is 99 inches, the right side is 94 inches and here is what it looks like

It is way beyond a simple fix!

I will have to take it apart and start over.  I will use all the old pieces of the star  and re-cut them to the correct size ,and the border will be cut to the correct length so that it will be closer to square.

It has a lot of potential  and I think it will be a great quilt but it is going to be a lot more work than I would have guessed.  As you know if you are a regular reader this is nothing I have not encountered before.   It really won’t be all that hard to fix and I will post pictures of how i do it soon.

Happy quilting

51 thoughts on “Yikes!

1. Pam G says:

Yikes is right! You have your work cut out for you on this one. I’m sure it’ll be beautiful after you work your magic. Take lots of breaks.

2. The good news is, you have lots of extra material to work with. 😀

3. Martha says:

Yes — certainly a lot more work, and the seller was being lazy or deceptive, but it’s a great design. I am predicting some amazing quilting in this top’s future.

4. Dorothy says:

My goodness, sorry you were ripped off. If they could not see the problems they are blinder than a bat. I know you can fix it, sorry for all of the work you need to do, but it looks like it will be a great quilt. Nice color combination.

well I sort of thought it was going to be bad…..so I dont really feel like I was ripped off….but the seller sure should have given a better description!

5. Robin says:

The quilt has so much potential. Yes, it will be a lot of work but, I think you’ll be well satisfied at the end of all your work.

6. karenfae says:

wow – that sure is going to be more work than I bet you expected to do. I guess they did not have a photo of it laid out on the floor!

7. Judy says:

Look at all those lovely borders!! I buy quilt tops for the design and color, knowing they may be more difficult—but you know you will enjoy working on it!! Good Luck

8. Nancy says:

Yikes is right. You sure have a lot of work to do before it’s flat and square. I hope you didn’t pay much Tim!

9. OR you could save it for the “Epic Fail” example when you give a talk somewhere……..

10. Jane S. says:

Oh dear. Yes, it won’t be a quick fix but like you said it won’t be terribly difficult either. If the price was low then it will be well worth it when it’s finished, because those colors and the bold design really are nice.

11. Rebecca says:

Yikes! And yikes again! But I know you will be able to fix this top! It will be interesting to me to see how you go about it. It looks like a lot of work. I wouldn’t know where to begin! I hope you did not pay too much for this top.

12. katechiconi says:

Good grief, that’s certainly going to be a challenge. But I’m with you on the design, it’s beautifully simple and once you’ve worked your magic it’s going to be lovely. I wonder why the maker didn’t stop and fix things when it became clear that it was never going to be square…

13. glendajean says:

Hi Tim I’m so glad that this stunning looking quilt has ended up on your door and not some one else’s as they would have dumped it or just cut it up for the fabric. I know it will be so beautiful when you remake it. I love those border colours not what I would have ever done but they have the wow factor on this quilt and are now making me rethink about borders????? Looking forward to seeing you work your magic on this one. Just think how it is going to be loved for generations after you work your magic on it. Cheers Glenda Australia.

14. Ann says:

Wow, that is not truth in advertising! But those colors- wow- who can blame you for wanting it! It is gorgeous.

15. I’m glad you can see the protential. All I can see is the problems! I think it would be easier to start from scratch.

16. Mimi says:

The seller seems to have given you the average of the sides. Have to admit the short time I was reading your “yikes” the colors really grew on me. We will be watching the progress.

17. Mary Britton says:

You are a glutton for punishment Tim, but it will be beautiful when you are finished with it.

18. Mary Blackledge Corroo says:

Wow Tim what patience you have to go with your skills. This is a gorgeous top. How awesome for the original maker if you do fix it. That’s very cool.

19. Helen says:

Good morning, Tim! I always admire your optimism and so more your skills as I know you are always achieving your aims – and will be doing
    a great quilt of this one, too! I would never dare undertaking a project like this!
    Concerning batting, I tried to find Mountain Mist Cream Rose batting.
    Very difficult to find as I have to watch shipping for Europe. May I ask you where you bought it, please??
    Best wishes for your new goal!
    And a gentle pat for Teddy!

20. Joy says:

Tim, I don’t know if you’ll receive this BUT, you make me smile:). Your optimism and workmanship are the best in the world and prove that nothing is impossible. That quilt should have been free….thanks for including the measurements! you will turn her into a beauty! Cheers, Joy Looking for quilts in annapolis

21. Ginney says:

How does anyone get a quilt to turn out that crooked?

22. Pat Long says:

Please keep us informed on the progress.

23. Pam P says:

I was reading your post outloud to my mom and after listing the measurements that you gave she said “Must be one of mine!” Ha ha ha! We are rooting for you!!!

24. Deb says:

Lol.. Would of loved to see your face when you opened up that top! But then I had to wonder who will be selling my bloopers after I’m gone!! For I have a few rolled up and stuffed away, None that bad off but not good either!! :))) the colors are great , I can see why it got ya.

25. Good luck with that one!!!

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )