If you saw the crazy star top I got yesterday you might think I am crazy.
I took it apart and fixed it …and it was very revealing. First I took of the border (I left that as it is and just took out the star) and then took apart the star.
Before I show you what I found lets talk some geometry. Thanks to Mrs. Barron, my geometry teacher from over 30 years ago, I do know some geometry facts. There are 360 degrees in a circle so I want to make a star with 8 points I must divide 360 by 8. that gives me 45. so I need 45 degree diamonds to make an 8 point star.
Now lets look at the pieces once I took the star apart.
The problem becomes apparent when I look at the pieces. The angle is wrong. They are very poorly cut and not at all accurate but they are also 15 degrees off. These are closer to 60 degree diamonds and doing the math 60 x 6 = 360 so only 6 of these could possibly fit in a star…..but the maker was determined to make it with 8 so they forced them in. Here are the other 4 and they were cut in odd ways in an attempt to make it fit.
I had to cut them to the correct size…..I made them as large as I could, using the correct angle …. here they are with the trimmings.
next to work on the setting squares. It was no surprise that they were all different sizes
and the setting triangles were perhaps the most laughable.
I re cut the squares and used some old fabric that was a good match to make the triangles.
I sewed the diamonds into a star
and then I set in the squares and triangles.
Now to do the borders. I placed the star in the center of the border to show what a difference there is.
The borders were pretty bad ….they were not cut straight and so they are very wavy and uneven. If I took them apart and trimmed them and sewed them back together I would have lost a lot of size. I decided to leave it as it is and just cut out the extra length.
The seller stated that the top was about 80″ x 84″ in reality it was 74″ on top, 84″ on the bottom, 99′ on the left, and 94″ on the right.
It is now 68″ x 80″ and this is what I cut out
It will be a while before I get to hand quilting it, but now it is ready.