Simple can be great

The Celebrate Hand Quilting Facebook page that I am a member of does a weekly show and tell where the members show their hand quilted quilts.  This weeks theme is Christmas.

I have a few but I decided to show this one.

It has been folded for a while so it has creases. They will come out after being opened up for a while.  When I re fold it I will fold it differently so they the creases are in a different place.  It is a good Idea to re-fold quilts periodically so that they don’t get permanent folds.

It is not really a Christmas Quilt but being red and green it has a Christmas feel to me.    This was an Antique top that I bought from eBay and then hand quilted.

What I love about it is the simplicity of the pattern and the secondary designs.   Even the most simple pattern can create secondary designs when the blocks come together.

Looking at it one way I see green stars with a red background.

or red stars with green background

red

The actual blocks are quite simple,  a square in a square.   There are 2 blocks in alternating colors.

DSCN3247 DSCN3246

when you put them together like this

blocks

they create a very different looking design

I did simple hand quilting with dark burgundy thread which shows better on the back

I have another vintage top in the same pattern but in this one there are many different fabrics used.

2010_0113top-inventory-tub50062

It is amazing how different the same blocks can look with different fabrics!

10 thoughts on “Simple can be great

I’ve always liked this one especially — what age would you put on the fabric? Let’s see if I have guessed right.

1860-80 is my date…the exact red is in Trestian’s Dating Fabrics book on page 84 and the overdye green seems to fit that date as well

• Kristen says:

Hah! I got it right, even without the Trestain’s borrowed from the library. I’m always amazed that fabrics of that age can maintain their integrity because I have a hard time thinking that cotton fabrics from the ’60s onward could hold up that long today.

it is amazing how they hold up. the red in this one has one problem….the black dots (which are actually dark brown) the dye used was corrosive….and each black dot is eventually going to disappear ….there is a pin sized hole or larger in the center of each and some have totally gone …. some of the old turkey reds dont do that….but this one did

2. KerryCan says:

One of the main appeals of quilting, for me, is this endless variation–so many quilting patterns, so many ways to set the blocks, so many fabrics, etc. We will never be bored!

3. Debra Gutenson says:

Tim, I love this two color quilt! I’ve just started using Jodi Barrows’ square in a square method, and it’s so easy and accurate. I think I now know what my next quilt to piece will be….a two color square in a square! Thanks, Debra

4. Pat Long says: