Vintage Log Cabin

Today I have a vintage log cabin top to share.   the top is in strips but will just need a few long seams to finish it.

all the blocks are the same with the exception of the center squares which alternate between 2 fabrics

DSCN3335 DSCN3337

I grew up in the 1970’s and I think I remember some of these fabrics in my Mother’s fabric stash.

Here are pictures of each fabric (click pictures to enlarge)

when the strips are sewn together it will be approximately 85″ x 104″ .   I love the bright colors….it will be a pretty cool quilt once I hand quilt it.

Teddy is testing it out with his sit test

26 thoughts on “Vintage Log Cabin

1. Barbara Wellman says:

Is Teddy showing us his true identity of “Super Quilt Inspector Dog”? This quilt is a 180 for what you usually show us. I’m sure it will be a bright change to quilt. It looks more relaxed and carefree.

• Sue says:

And…when do you sleep, Tim?? Just kidding..love the orange..my first thought was 60 s / 70 s. Put on the Motown and the Beatles while you’re quilting!

Hmmmmm…..must be the lighting in my pictures…there is no orange in this except a little bit in the blue striped print. could be the red flowers on the yellow fabric makes it look a bit orange in pictures?

Teddy gets a new one every time he goes to the groomer….I guess she thought superman fit him…..He love to be dressed up….if I take off his scarf because it is dirty he always looks for it

I like this top because of the fabrics….so different from anything in my older projects….I guess I really just like them all….but this one reminds me of childhood

2. Pat Long says:

I just love this quilt. How will you be quilting it?

3. katechiconi says:

Wonderful colour combinations!

4. suzette shoulders says:

I looked at that log cabin and knew the date from the fabrics! I made a dress of a blue print shown, and had several of these in quilts I made back then… late 1970’s, early 1980’s. I think older ‘Log Cabin’ strips were not as wide because they were often the selvage edges of yardage. Suzette in Oregon

I am glad to know that I was on with the dates…..I bet your dress was beautiful!

I have sevaral tops in the log cabin pattern from the 1800’s and they do all have much more narrow strips….or logs….I should post pictures of all of them together

5. Deb says:

This is great.. Brings back memories of my mom in the kitchen for she had aprons in several of the fabrics and with the left overs ,she made doll clothes for me!!!

6. Rebecca says:

This is just a fantastic quilt! A simple pattern but the fabrics are absolutely wonderful! How large is the center square in the blocks? Teddy certainly takes his quilt testing seriously!

7. Mimi says:

I don’t think I have ever seen a log cabin where the blocks are all the same. Makes for a different “look” when viewed, or perhaps because of the black fabric the pattern stands out.

they are very much different from the traditional….which were very scrappy with lots more fabrics and much narrower strips …..what you are seeing as black is blue….hard to get a picture with accurate color
      Next time I will post some of my other log cabins for a comparison

8. Laura in IA says:

Great discussion. I love this quilt. It is so true to it’s era and at the same time gives a modern feel with the bright colors. It’s not retro but the real deal. I would guess that the fabrics were purchased just for the quilt thus all the blocks being alike. The magazine patterns for quilt as you go Log Cabin of the period used the much larger logs as you have here. Your logs are added court house style though. Wow is not much of a description but WOW is what it made me say when I saw it. WOW!

It is interesting to see the difference that the fabric layout created….the wider logs and not separating dark and light changes the whole look, I have another from this era that I will post next time as well as some from 100 years before that….should be fun to see side by side

9. Bev says:

Love your little Teddy! At one time, through various weird situations, I had 4 schnauzers! I called my house Schnauzerville, USA. I have some of those fabrics still. Some of them are actually from the 60’s. I bought out the inventory of a “general store” in the early 70’s when they went out of business and have quite a bit of it left. I tried to sell some on eBay but no-one was interested. It’s not as wide as the fabrics today. It has still retained its color. Looking at your website was so much fun! Thanks for sharing! Cheery wave!

10. Dot says:

I see your initials in that quilt! The center has a yellow “T”, and the lavendar and red strips form an “L”. My stash dates to the 1970s, and I still have some bits of those fabrics.

11. Gretchen McClain says:

How do you baste your quilts? I didn’t notice any hand basted stitches. Gretchen in PA

I just use a few safety pins, maybe ever 12 inches….never basting stitches….when I place the quilt in the hoop I remove the pins in that area and smooth out the fabric top and bottom and work from the center out to the edges….any puckers or wrinkles always get worked out to the edges and and I have never quilted in a pucker like I did when I did a lot of thread basting

• Gretchen McClain says:

ooops! I’m preparing a small wall hanging to work on while we camp at our county fair. Thanks so much for your expertise! As always, your quilts are beautiful! Gretchen in PA. ( I hope both parts of my reply showed up, 😦

Have fun at the fair!