Wonky Star Finished

I finished the wonky star quilt today.

For review here is what I started with

The vintage top needed a lot of work!   you can read how I fixed it here

I used Hobb’s Tuscany Wool Batting.

I wanted a batting with some loft to it so that the quilting would have good definition and the loft helps to hide a lot of imperfections in the piecing.   I fixed the star but reattached the border without remaking it so it was still pretty “bumpy” and the loft helps to fill in the puffiness.

I buy the batting from HandQuiltingSupplies.com

The instructions for care recommend hand washing and air drying.    I machine wash on the gentle cycle and machine dry on low temp and have no problems.

Here is the quilt after all the quilting was finished

Here is the back

DSCN3537 DSCN3536 DSCN3535 DSCN3534

Teddy tested it out

With his approval I moved on to binding it.   I used the backing fabric for the binding.

First I cut the backing and batting down to size.  I measured 2 inches from the edge of the quilt and cut off the extra.

Next I trimmed the batting to the edge of the top

The white strip in the picture is the batting that I trimmed off.

Next I fold the backing fabric over to the edge of the top.

and then fold it over again and pin to the top

Now I blind stitch it to the top and it is done

Teddy had to give it another try

He just got caught in the rain on his after dinner walk so he is still a bit damp …..I’m not worried about the quilt , it is washable and is in the wash now.  I always finish with washing .  I quilt in a hoop and the quilt drags all over the floor for quite some time so a finished quilt for me is usually a dirty quilt.   I also never pre-wash a vintage top because they fray and get damaged.   Once quilted they are stronger because they have a strong new backing and all the raw edges are enclosed in the quilting.

Here is a before and after picture (click picture to enlarge)

before-after

And here is the top after repairs and the finished quilt side by side (click picture to enlarge)

before-after-2

I have often said that quilting can make the quilt.  I think this one is really a good example of that.

The quilt is in the wash now.  I will post a picture of it next time after washing.

67 thoughts on “Wonky Star Finished

1. Rhonda Harrell says:

You are an amazing quilter!

2. Suzana Garske Refatti says:

Congratulations, Tim! A really great example que quilting can make the quilt! Hello to Teddy!

3. Deb says:

Tim, be proud of a job WELL done! It’s beautiful!!

4. Nicole says:

Hot damn – that’s a great save!

5. Jane S. says:

It’s hard to believe that is the same quilt! You are a miracle worker. 🙂

6. Stephie says:

I can’t believe how quickly you finished this up – and it looks amazing! And teddy really is a star!

7. Marie Lock says:

Transformed, Tim. You are an artist!!!

8. Jan Smith says:

Wouldn’t the original sewer of the wonky top be absolutely amazed to see it now?!

9. Lil Koster says:

Tim, you have made a swan out of an ugly duckling! Great job!

Perfection! And Teddy knows it, too!

11. Chris says:

So lovely! And so is the quilt! 🙂 the pic with Teddy on the star could be your insignia or something. Great finish – somewhere, that quilter is thanking you.

12. Barbara says:

Incredible!

13. Helen F says:

Magnificent Tim – not one bit of “wonk”!!!!

14. Judy P. says:

You are amazing. This turned out beautifully. I can’t believe how quickly you hand quilt. Okay, done gushing.

A brilliant save! Not to be vulgar, but may I ask, how much did you shell out for this poor rescue? I doubt it was much, and the small amount may encourage others to take in rescues.

well this one was more than I should have paid….but I couldn’t tell how bad it was from the sellers pictures…..anyway I paid 30 dollars….but now that it is re made and quilted I think it was worth that and more

• Kristen says:

Ladies and gentlemen — quilt greatness is only one auction away! Look for those wonky tops, bring them home, nurture them, quilt them to greatness!

That said, worth every penny and now many, many pennies more.

17. Chickadeedee says:

You are definitely a man of vision. Great job!!

18. Shirley says:

Persistance certainly does pay off!!! I doubt that most quilters would
    have taken the quilt for free……..sorry! It is amazing what you started with and what you ended up with……it’s a really awesome quilt now.

19. Mrs. Plum says:

Aren’t wool batts yummy? Have you ever tried Quilter’s Dream wool batting? It’s quite nice!

I’ve recently found your blog and enjoy it. Thanks for posting so regularly. I machine quilt, but enjoy seeing all of your projects. You’re so fast AND proficient.

20. katechiconi says:

You really do have a happy talent for picking the quilting style that will best suit the top. This one has texture without fuss, which perfectly suits the clean and simple design. Congratulations on another great rescue job.

21. Isabella says:

Wonderful ‘story’ to follow but a bit sad it’s finished I’ve enjoyed following so much . Thank you

22. Jan cotton....kiwi jan says:

Tim it looks super you have real courage to take on such a project..maybe the label should have a phot of what it was like when you bought it…the transformation is something…..

23. Pat Long says:

It turned out beautifully. What a transition!

24. Pam G. says:

SO beautiful. I’m motivated yet again to start practicing hand quilting so I can tackle the gmfg. Love the ‘star’ (Teddy) on the star. I just want to reach through the computer & hug him. He always puts a smile on my face.

25. kevin says:

First let me say that you did a great job on saving this and a spectacular job in quilting it. What I’m confused about is why. You probably could have put together this same top on your own for less time and money than you spent on buying and fixing it. If that is the case, I’m not sure that this top was worth saving, at least to me. It’s not as if it is vintage prints that you wouldn’t have been able to find and which are worth preserving. I don’t mean to rain on your parade, and if it makes you happy to save any old top, then more power to you. I’m just trying to understand your reasoning.

Many many reasons why
      1. no one ever made a quilt top with the intention of it being tossed aside. I feel for the person who put in the work but didn’t have the skill to finish it…it makes me feel good to help out a quilter from the past….its good Karma
      2. I enjoy it very much
      3. I like the colors and design….the quilter had a great sense of design
      4. I could never have made a new top for anywhere near the cost of this one. New fabric for a full sized top like this would have cost much much more than the 30 dollars this top cost.
      5. It gives me the opportunity to show how others might fix a top that has similar problems.
      6. I love a challenge, I could easily have made a new one but it is not nearly as fun for me and quilting should always be fun
      7. once again I enjoy it

• Kristen says:

Kevin, what I am confused about is your point. It seems that you simply didn’t like, or see, this quilt top in the way Tim did, or to put it another way, you don’t have Tim’s eye,. And you felt the need for Tim and others to know that by giving your judgment followed by a rhetorical question. Tim articulates extensively in his blog why he does what he does and how he does it — and I think he spent far too much of his time reiterating that to you in his response. If you read the blog, the answers are there. Mentioning that you don’t mean to rain on a parade — another rhetorical device — does not mean you are not doing just that. If you were looking for understanding you could have asked an open question without negative opinions. The rest of us get it, you’ve proven your point — you are not TIm.

26. Sandra B says:

Oh, my goodness!!! What a fabulous transformation!! When I saw the first post of this quilt, I couldn’t wait to see what magic you would work on it…it is just stunning. Can’t wait to see your next one!
    I think Teddy may have claimed this one for his own…

27. dljolin says:

Agree! Quilting the quilt really changed & improved this top. Very motivating as I have a few pieces from my grandma that are a bit “wonky” stars. Thanks for sharing your washing/cleaning techniques too. I agree. I work in a hoop on a stand it does get ‘dragged’ around a lot.

28. Rhonda says:

Love how you fixed quilted the Wonky Star. It’s beautiful.

Comments