New Quilt Top and a Wholecloth Start

I went to the eye doctor today.  I am diabetic and I need to have a dilated eye exam once a year.   The good news is there is no  diabetic retinopathy.   The bad news is that I can’t quilt with dilated eyes 🙂

Tomorrow I will go back and pick out new glasses.

I got a new quilt top in the mail today!   My friend Lisa Burmann bought it  and asked me if I would like it.  Here is what she said:

I was going to quilt it – but I haven’t because deep down I think it should be hand quilted.

She gave me a great deal….just what she paid for it.

Lisa is an amazingly talented  long arm quilter ….see her website here  and her Facebook page here to see some of here great work.

Here is the top.

It measures 78.5″ x 97.5″  and it is signed in pencil

signature

The block is called “Hickory Leaf” or “The Reel”…as well as several other names.

Lots of space to do quilting in the plain alternating blocks.

DSCN3607 DSCN3606 DSCN3603

I am looking forward to doing this one….it doesn’t need any repair work!!

I started a bit of hand quilting on the Snowflake whole cloth.   I am using Blue 40 weight thread (Presencia brand) and wool batting (Hobb’s Tuscany)  and a #11 John James between needle.

I have only done a bit in the center but here is what is done

if you look at the snowflake you can get an idea of how I will quilt it.  Everywhere you see the red background will be densely quilted with blue thread causing the white parts to stand out.

2012_0131snowflakes-howto0005

so think of the red as blue … the only difference is that I added a flower in the center to fill the space.

28 thoughts on “New Quilt Top and a Wholecloth Start

1. Carin says:

That quilt top is wonderful, love the colors.
    Your snowflake is going to be a beauty, already you see the dept of the quilting. Do you always pin bast ? When I do it the pins get always in the way with the hoop.

Thanks
      Yes I always pin baste….once I have the quilt in the hoop if the pins get in the way I just move them…..or take them out entirely. I have thread basted before but found that I get better results with pins

2. Diana Wilson says:

Just beautiful! What type of batting are you using on this one.

3. katechiconi says:

Just beautiful, both the new quilt top and the snowflake. I wouldn’t be able to put the snowflake one down… Glad your eyes are ok, I’m not looking forward to my very mild macular degeneration getting worse. Don’t think I can live without reading and sewing…

I don’t think I could live without reading and quilting either….hope your eyes stay good for years to come!!

I had a small idea of not being able to see well today while my eyes were dilated and I couldn’t quilt or read and it was too bright to work in the garden…I didn’t know what to do with myself so I took a nap

4. Deb says:

The quilt is so lovely! Have fun deciding on how your going to quilt it!
    Whole cloth quilt is going to look wonderful!
    Have a great weekend quilting .

5. French 75 Quilts says:

Your work is truly inspirational. I love your hand quilting. I’ve never hand quilted any thing larger than a pillow, but I may have to change that and put a hoop on a quilt and get busy. Thanks for sharing your lovely work and your antique quilts.

6. nmaec43 says:

Hi Tim Ok??? Did you use the wool batt again to get the stuffed work look. Or did you use extra stuffing in what you call the white area. I hope I am not being a pill, I just want to learn as much as I can and you are a great one to learn from. Would love a demo on the micro stippling. What you have looks great. Thanks Nadine

Sent from my iPhone

7. Diane says:

Can’t wait to see the progress on both quilts. The colors and fabric on the Hickory Leaf are great!

8. Sheri Peters says:

Hi Tim,
    I’m a new follower 🙂 Will you be selling the snowflake pattern? It is so intricate, I would love to try it.
    Thanks,
    Sheri

9. Marilyn says:

Glad to hear you had some good news from your eye examination. Our eye sight is precious. .

Your snowflake pattern is absolutely gorgeous. Will look forward to future pictures.

Thanks!! I am always nervous when i go for an exam…so far I have been lucky.

I will post a few more pictures of the progress soon…I am pretty excited with how it is looking so far

It’s beginning to look a lot like Christmas! Or maybe winter….nice snowflake!

11. Pat Long says:

I love the new top.It will be spectacular when quilted. The whole cloth is awesome. How did you transfer the design to the fabric?

12. Jeanette says:

If you can’t see today- how about weeding ? Just kidding !

13. Nina Schwerdtfeger says:

Tim, I am truly fascinated with your beautiful work!!

14. Selma says:

Boa noite,

Amei os trabalhos, principalmente o bordado… poderia me indicar ou me explicar como se faz ? já procurei mas não encontro o tutorial.

Grata e parabéns