Interplay Quilt Finish

On July 30 I started a new quilt.   I got a bundle of 12 fat quarters from P&B Textiles called Interplay.

DSCN3451 DSCN3457 DSCN3456 DSCN3454

You can see the post about the design and cutting the pieces here (https://timquilts.com/2014/07/30/interplay/)

Here is the completed top on August 11.

I hand quilted it using size 8 perle cotton thread and a size 5 embroidery needle …black thread on the more solid fabrics and green on the prints.

DSCN3695DSCN3589

I used Nature’s Touch cotton batting and black backing fabric.   I always pin baste and don’t use very many pins.

It is hard to see the pins in the picture but if you click on it to enlarge you can see safety pins in the corners of the blocks.

I finished the hand quilting yesterday.

and here is the back

I used the backing fabric for the binding as well.

Here it is after binding and washing and drying (by machine)

The finished size was 45″ x 60″ before quilting , washing and drying.   I will have to measure it again to see how much shrinkage there is but I always expect shrink …the cotton batting will shrink and cause a bit of a puckered look to the quilt which I love.  If you do not want shrink I would use poly batting.

Here are some more pictures of the finished quilt (click pictures to enlarge)

Teddy gave it the final sit test

and decided to relax on it

Last night I installed Electric Quilt software and thought I would give it a try with this quilt….sort of a backward approach since normally you start with a design and them make a quilt rather than start with a quilt and try to make a design to match but I think I am getting the hang of it.

Here is a picture of the design in EQ

Interplay

Sort of fun to do!

Now back to work on the snowflake quilt

23 thoughts on “Interplay Quilt Finish

1. Louise says:

Love the big stitches with the perle cotton thread! Nice fabrics too, which Teddy of course looks good on!

2. Pat Long says:

Absolutely beautiful! Did you use the backing to bind it?

I used the same fabric as the backing for the binding but it is a separate binding …I cut it 2 inches wide, folded in half, sewed on the top and folded to the back and stitched down by hand

3. I so appreciate your willingness to share your creative process and progress for your projects. It is a lovely quilt.

4. carolsteffensen says:

Very nice Tim, you do great work. I absolutely love to hand quilt with Perle Cotton. I love the look, the feel, and how much faster it is to quilt with it. I am also a quilt top “rescuer,” and have found a lot of good deals on ebay. I have also rescued a bunch of single quilt blocks that I intend to make into pillow tops once I get them hand quilted.

5. roseermis says:

I was not impressed with the quilt top. But once, again, you have made it a work of beauty.

6. Terri Geesey says:

Beautiful! Just wondering, what is your favorite cotton batting?
    Terri in Texas

I have used so many different battings….and often the choice is made based on the look I want from the quilt. There are so many different thicknesses and it really does change the finished look. for ease of quilting I like Mountain Mist Cream Rose cotton…..for something a bit thicker I like Natures Touch …..even thicker I like Hobbs 80/20….and I also tend to really like what is on sale 😉

7. Joyce says:

You have been on a mission getting this done so quickly! Your needle must be Smokin!! Love this quilt and how it came to life with your asesome quilting…Teddy is delightful as always. …still a Tim-fanatic!!!

8. katechiconi says:

Good work, very fast and beautiful simple quilting. I love the back, and I think it would get equal show time in my house. And Teddy has given it the final seal of approval.

9. glendajean says:

Hi Tim Love the back as much as the front of the quilt . Interesting thing is the big quilting as you call it turns the quilt in to a different quilt completely giving it a 3D look. Teddy looks happy with it also LOL. has he just been clipped as he looks lighter than usual or is this his summer coat. My blog is http://www.patchworkdreams.com.au so you can have a look at that sashiko kimono. Cheers Glenda PS Love love the snow flake, blue and white are my favourite colours.

10. Debbie says:

Hi Tim, I just started following your blog and am blown away by how fast you finish projects! I too prefer to hand quilt but find it difficult to hand quilt thru the cotton batting, it seems so dense. What type needle do you use and are there any other tricks to make it easier to quilt. Also, do you use any kind of quilt frame?
    Thanks for sharing all your lovely works.

there are several cotton batting that are VERY hard to quilt through, Warm and Natural is by far the hardest I have tried…it takes me at least 3 times longer to finish a quilt with that and I bend dozens of needles…..I dont know what batting you are using but it does make a huge difference in ease of quilting. I really like Mountain Mist cream rose cotton batting.. another thing that makes a really big difference is the backing fabric. Anything with a high thread count is very hard to quilt through…(like a bed sheet) the easiest to quilt is muslin and I use that often….but also use regular quilt fabric. Batik fabric is very hard to hand quilt and slows me down a lot! for needles it depends on the quilt and the thread. for normal quilting I use John James brand #11 between needles. for big stitch with perle cotton thread I use a size 5 embroidery needle. I use a 22 inch hoop that is on a stand. some quilters tell me that they hand quilt without a hoop but I can not imagine doing it….it would be so much slower it would drive me crazy….I also found that spray basting (glue in a spray can to bast the layers together) makes hand quilting nearly impossible and now I use only safety pins.
      that is about all I can think of but Im sure I missed some tips….feel free to ask more questions 🙂
      and happy quilting!