Learning Curve

I recently purchased Electric Quilt 7 software and I have been trying to learn all it can do.  While the software can do a lot it does need some user input and I think I am still at the bottom of the learning curve.

Often when I make a quilt I am asked for a pattern.  I have not been a pattern person.  I just sort of make it up as I go but I thought I would give it a try.

Last weekend at AQS in Grand Rapids I purchased a bundle of fat quarters.

I scanned the fabrics and imported into the program and started to play with layout.

Here is one I came up with.

textured cotton quilt

I am not sure I will actually make this quilt but It is fun to play with ideas.

Still working on hand quilting various projects….here is the snowflake quilt

DSCN3806 DSCN3805

Teddy says HI

30 thoughts on “Learning Curve

1. Renie says:

Just fantastic.

2. Rhonda says:

I’ve thought about buying Electric Quilt Software, but have been reluctant. Would you please keep us posted on your progress with it and your thoughts? The quilt you designed using this software is beautiful.

3. Cathie King says:

Hi Tim, the snowflake is starting to look lovely. I own 2 schnauzers, it’s always a good day when I see Teddy. Give him an extra treat for being exceptionally handsome today!

4. Prairie Quilter/Nebraska says:

Tim, the jingle bells around the outside of the snowflake is inspired. I could see they were circles when you showed the pattern, and I thought that was a neat border, but I was delighted when I saw what they actually were after they were quilted. Perfect. That’s why you’re the designer and I…need a pattern. (sigh) However, I am great with other people’s ideas. haha!

Thanks! I am glad you like them….It was not actually part of my plan …they really were going to be circles.but sometimes Ideas come midway through a project

5. Hi Tim. I have EQ7. I got it for Christmas 2 years ago. I like it, but the learning curve is so large that if you don’t use it often enough, you forget how to. I understand that it’s a big improvement on it’s predecessors (EQ5, EQ6 etc.) but I still find that it is not that intuitive or user friendly. With today’s technology, I shouldn’t need a tutorial/video or user’s manual to figure out how to use it. I do like it, at least the end result and I always use it when I am comissioned to make a quilt. I want them to see what it will look like before it’s finished. I can have them choose fabrics from online stores and I can take those images and use them without having to buy the fabric first. Then once we agree on something I go back and tell them how much of each to buy and have it shipped (or dropped off) at my house. It works well. On another note, if they have already purchased the fabric, this means I have a commitment :)… Mike.

That sounds like a great use of the program…I know it would be a lot easier to show a person what it will look like….rather than just have them use their imagination….I think I am going to like the yardage calculations the best…i always over buy

6. Annette says:

I have been using EQ since it first came out. It is much more user friendly today. When I can’t figure out how to do something, I poke around enough and usually figure out that there is a way. There is a lot to it.
    Sometimes just “making” the quilt in EQ, satisfies the itch to do it. That is a good thing as I have too many UFOs around anyway.
    It looks like you are off to a great start with EQ!
    Ps. I am not affiliated with EQ in any way other than a fairly happy user.

I agree I think making a virtual quilt in EQ might be just the thing to get over the itch to start something new … I think I might also use it to create patterns of quilts that are already finished and people ask for a pattern

7. katechiconi says:

Teddy is looking particularly cute, and is very useful in giving scale to the snowflake quilt – it’s bigger than I thought! Like you, I’m not really a pattern person, and am not drawn to using EQ, although I can see how useful it is if you enjoy drafting new blocks.

8. Nancy says:

I don’t have EQ, but I just want to comment your Teddy is a real ham. Love him! What I am thinking I would like to own is an Accuquilt cutter. I’ve just started looking at some info. I think it might even be able to cut fan wedges as pictured in your background quilt here. But the way, it’s a beauty!

he sure is a ham…he loves to get attention! he is always the star when we go to Petco. I imagine the acuquilt cutter would make for accurate fast cutting…but they sure seem expensive…for the various dies , but they do seem to go on sale a lot…so I imagine you can find a good deal

9. Debbie says:

I actually love the pattern and the fabric. I think it would probably have to be paper pieced.

10. glendajean says:

Oh Teddy you must be the cleanest little boy to be able to sit on that white quilt or Tim loves you to bits LOL. Love the choice of quilt Tim for those fabrics it will be fantastic. Cheers Glenda PS Snow-flacks is growing so fast love love love it.

11. Shirley says:

I have had EQ since EQ4. For someone who has just started, you certainly have progressed very rapidly! Did you watch the videos? The EQ people are SO helpful. I have emailed with questions before and Penny has actually answered my question. Nice touch! Some of the features are amazing…..like the arc……which I am NOT very good at…….yet! Finding time to play with it is the hard part. I guess I would
    have a little more time if I didn’t HAVE to see Teddy and what he is up to. LOL

I haven’t watched the videos…I just started to play around with it…I am not a fan of the manual but that is the case with every computer program I have ever used….But it will be fun to learn…but Teddy doesn’t like it because I get to involved and he feels ignored 😦

12. di5lexi says:

Love the snowflake!!

13. Your virtual quilt looks great, I have EQ as well. I’ve had it since EQ5. I find I prefer to use elements of the program, like printing out paper piecing templates. When it comes to design it blows me away the variations we can see before making the quilt. I wish I knew more about it too! I also think that to make patterns to sell or give to someone the pattern needs to be exported to another program. I think practice is the key.But just the fact that you scanned in your own fabrics is great! I am usually lazy about that part and just fudge it with their choices that are comparable . Looks good!

Thanks
      I think it makes sense to export to another program to make a pattern….so that you can write up instructions but for making paper piecing templates I think it will be great…..I am looking forward to trying it. I am still working on trying to design a border…hopefully I can figure out that task soon 🙂

14. Renee says:

I looked at your fat quarters and if I had them I’d say: “What do I do with these?” Then I saw how the computer program helped. I would make that layout you came up with in a heartbeat! Fabric color blending is a trouble spot for me.

15. Mimi says:

Hi Teddy! I have been away and missed my foo foo puppies.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )