More hand quilting

I am getting close to 1/4 done on the snowflake quilt.  I am working on the corner.

In order to get the quilt in the hoop and be able to quilt the edge and corner I pin towels to the edges of the quilt so that The square corner fits into the round hoop.  A towel works better than plain fabric because it is thicker and keeps the quilt from slipping in the hoop.

DSCN3808 DSCN3807

I am making a grid for the outside edge

DSCN3810 DSCN3809

And the grid will be filled in

DSCN3815 DSCN3811

Here it is out of the hoop ….the quilt gets somewhat creased and wrinkled from the hoop but it will all flatten out nicely once it is done and blocked.

Lots more to go!

34 thoughts on “More hand quilting

1. Rhonda says:

I was wondering how you were going to quilt the edges.

2. Marcia says:

I love the jingle bells …. AND how your mind works!

Amazing bells and the background is perfect! So when you get this one done, then I will send the address where you can send it.

4. Nancy says:

love those bells! this will be an amazing quilt.

5. Anne M Travis says:

Beautiful quilt!

6. Sandra Briggs says:

This quilt is going to be amazing….it is really taking shape with some pretty awesome quilting!

7. katechiconi says:

I love how plumped out and rounded the reindeer look; all that close quilting really does make the rest puff up beautifully.

8. Jane says:

I am absolutely loving the process. The quilt is just beautiful.

9. Isabella says:

Being in Australia I love my morning ‘hit’ of seeing this quilt develope ,many thanks Tim

Did you say you already submitted for Des Moines — or Chattanooga? I think Des Moines. Anyway, I think you should submit this one for the AQS the closest to Christmas next year.

11. Celia says:

Excellent photos of your work! Never would have thought of using a towel….great idea. Your stitches are perfection. I love seeing your work. Just beautiful every time I see your quilts. Thanks for sharing your process. (celiaambrose@hotmail.com)

12. Robbie payne says:

Amazing…Beautiful!!!

13. Janine Huisjen says:

This just gets better and better. Great jingle bell pattern! And thanks for the tip about using towels. I’ve used folded muslin but have never been satisfied with it for keeping the edges in the hope.

Thanks!
      the towels work great….the terrycloth grips the hoop pretty well….I have used muslin as well and was constantly having to pull it back as it slipped

14. Darlynn says:

did i say before that you are amazing? I purchased an antique quilt top a while ago with the intention of hand quilting it. my girlfriend basted it on her long arm. and it has sat waiting for my needle.
    you have inspired me to bring out the quilting hoop again. ps…you do amazing work, just in case i did not tell you that before!

15. Anita says:

This is awesome. I toy with the thought that I will tackle a wholecloth quilt one day. You give me inspiration. Thanks!

16. Sharon Snow says:

I wish that I was half or even a quarter as talented as you are. Plus wish I had the time. Maybe after canning, back to quilting.

Comments