quilt top in an afternoon

I decided to take a break from hand quilting and foundation paper piecing today and make a quilt top.

Sometimes it is fun to make something different and fast.   I purchased a bundle of fat quarters at the Grand Rapids AQS show

The one on the left is what I used.

No pattern here just cutting and sewing.

I started by stacking up 7 of the fat quarters and trimming them even.

Next I cut it into thirds using a rotary cutter…I cut curves (gentle curves are easy to machine piece)

It is hard to tell from the picture but there are 7 layers of fabric here.

Next I rearranged the pieces so the colors alternate

And sewed them together

I stacked them up again and then cut them again

Next I rearranged the fabrics again

and sewed them together

Now I cut them apart in thirds again the opposite direction…this time with straight lines

rearrange those pieces again

sew them together

and then I did it all over again with 7 more fat quarters and then trimmed them all to a uniform size

and then sewed them all together

finished size is about 57 inches square…I have some purple fabric that I will use for backing and binding and I will hand quilt it.   I think I will use black thread.

This was a fun and fast project!

29 thoughts on “quilt top in an afternoon

1. katechiconi says:

Nothing like a bit of stack and whack to mix things up and make surprising things happen! It’s fun, it’s quick and you’ve got a great result. And perhaps it’s a small visual holiday from very precise stitching and very traditional blocks…

2. Jill says:

Gosh, all that I have done with my purchased fabric from the show was photograph it. I am just curious. It doesn’t appear that you prewashed? If not, at one point do you launder?

I do prewash. but my pictures are after pressing and squaring up …but I also wash every quilt as soon as I finish hand quilting it

• Jill says:

I am glad to hear that you prewash. No worries on fabrics bleeding or some shrinking more than others. You did a great job of preparing fat quarters prior to cutting.

3. Debbie says:

I love it. Something new to try.

4. Pat Long says:

The quilt is awesome as usual!

5. Pam G. says:

What a great idea! I love this – a fun and easy one to teach my granddaughters.

6. Mary Ann says:

How interesting! Love how it turned out.

7. Kathryn Tomlinson says:

WOW! Inspiring….

8. Susan Dileanis says:

You are such an industrious, creative quilt maker…and you share it all with us…which I can’t thank you enough for. Teddy must get tired watching you.

9. […] started hand quilting the top I made over the weekend.  I am using #8 Finca Perle cotton thread and a Big Stitch needle.  I used purple backing fabric […]

10. LoriD says:

Hi Tim, Wow! What a fun way to make a quilt top!! The quilting you are doing really suits the quilt top too.

11. […] made the top on Aug 31…..see that post here https://timquilts.com/2014/08/31/quilt-top-in-an-afternoon/ and I spent the last 4 days hand quilting it.   Sounds really fast (and it was fast to make the […]

12. Amie says:

Great stash buster and the results is amazing!!

Thank you! Yes I think it would be a great way to use up stash….and really anything could work……(even those that we say to ourselves “why did I buy that?” )

13. Amie says:

Tim, did you decide how you will quilt this one?

Comments