I made the top on Aug 31…..see that post here https://timquilts.com/2014/08/31/quilt-top-in-an-afternoon/ and I spent the last 4 days hand quilting it. Sounds really fast (and it was fast to make the top) but it actually took about 60 hours total to make this quilt. At an hour a day that would be 2 months.
I used Hobbs Tuscany Cotton Batting. It was the first time I have used it and I love it! Easy to quilt, soft, great drape, I will definitely use it again.
The had quilting was done with #8 perle cotton thread. I used black because I wanted it to show.
This would not be my choice for every quilt but for this one I think it was the right choice. I did big overlapping circles because I wanted a contrast with the linear look of the top, I think it adds movement.
I did not do any marking ….I quilted it by eye….and it is NOT perfect…..and that was intentional. I didn’t think perfect/uniform/symmetrical would fit with the free form piecing of the top.
I am calling this “Big Thread” quilting because I think it more accurately describes it. The Term “Big Stitch” implies that there needs to be a specific size of stitch to qualify as “Big” and I honestly believe that the size of the stitch or stitches per inch is not what is important. As long as the stitches look the way you want them to look they are the right size. I used perle cotton thread and it is much thicker/bigger than normal hand quilting thread so “Big Thread” describes it.
For comparison here is a quilt I made using #8 perle cotton thread
the stitches aren’t necessarily big
but the thread is.
here is one with much less quilting and larger stitches
but the same size thread.
all different stitch density and stitch size but all with “Big Thread”
Here is the quilt before binding
And the finished quilt after binding and washing and drying (in the machine)
The angle of the picture distorts the shape a bit. it is actually square ( about 56″ x 56″) after washing a drying.
here is the back
and some more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)
Now back to work on one (or many) of the other projects. But I have some ideas for a variation on this design……..I might need to do that soon