Big Thread Throw Quilt Finished

I made the top on Aug 31…..see that post here https://timquilts.com/2014/08/31/quilt-top-in-an-afternoon/ and I spent the last 4 days hand quilting it.   Sounds really fast (and it was fast to make the top)  but it actually took about 60 hours total to make this quilt.    At an hour a day that would be 2 months.

I used Hobbs Tuscany Cotton Batting.   It was the first time I have used it and I love it!    Easy to quilt, soft, great drape, I will definitely use it again.

The had quilting was done with #8 perle cotton thread.  I used black because I wanted it to show.

DSCN3862 DSCN3860

This would not be my choice for every quilt but for this one I think it was the right choice.    I did big overlapping circles because I wanted a contrast with the linear look of the top, I think it adds movement.

I did not do any marking ….I quilted it by eye….and it is NOT perfect…..and that was intentional.  I didn’t think perfect/uniform/symmetrical would fit with the free form piecing of the top.

I am calling this “Big Thread” quilting because I think it more accurately describes it.    The Term “Big Stitch” implies that there needs to be a specific size of stitch to qualify as “Big” and I honestly believe that the size of the stitch or stitches per inch is not what is important.   As long as the stitches look the way you want them to look they are the right size.   I used perle cotton thread and it is much thicker/bigger than normal hand quilting thread so “Big Thread” describes it.

For comparison here is a quilt I made using #8 perle cotton thread

321 quilt

the stitches aren’t necessarily big

321 AGS 027

but the thread is.

here is one with much less quilting and larger stitches

2011_0407Denim-quilt-20007

but the same size thread.

and another

tie dye quilting 005

all different stitch density and stitch size but all with “Big Thread”

Here is the quilt before binding

DSCN3876 DSCN3877

And the finished quilt after binding and washing and drying (in the machine)

The angle of the picture distorts the shape a bit.   it is actually square ( about 56″ x 56″) after washing a drying.

here is the back

and some more pictures (click pictures to enlarge)

Now back to work on one (or many) of the other projects.    But I have some ideas for a variation on this design……..I might need to do that soon

39 thoughts on “Big Thread Throw Quilt Finished

1. Colleen says:

I love the finished product of the big thread quilt. Its real artsy looking. I am usually one to sway away from curves but this turned out Fabulous. Great Job Tim and nice pose Teddy!

Great quilt! And of course it wasn’t officially done until Teddy sat on it!

3. Wendy says:

What a great quilt. I’m interested that you started on the outside of the circles and worked in. I’d like to try circles on my next quilt, but I was going to start at the centre and work out. I don’t know how I’ll be working without lines. I’m still tempted to draw the lines first. I think I”ve seen a template with spirals on it.

Thanks!
      They do have templates ….it takes some practice to do it without marking…..with a template you could start in the center….when I do it I start at the outside because I helps me keep it more round

4. katechiconi says:

Fast work, and Teddy clearly approves too!

5. Mary says:

I am amazed at how quickly you are able to move from an idea to finished/bound quilt. If you have any organizational or time tips, I’d appreciate your sharing them. You have such an eye for color, too. When you pieced the top for the last quilt, I wasn’t crazy about the finished top but the big thread quilting brought everything together and now I love it! Thanks for sharing the process, finished quilts, and Teddy.

Thanks Mary
      I wish I could say something about how to organize….but I am not at all organized…..I just have to go for it when I get an idea….sometimes (like this one) I work on it non stop until it is done….and sometimes it is in process for years (5 years is my longest so far) but the pile of unfinished starts keeps growing

6. Connie Wells says:

You amaze me Tim…….my “Teddy” is a cat named Peek-A-Boo who has to sit on all my projects.

7. Audrey Waite says:

Love it and Teddy too. We used to have a wire-haired terrier. They make great pets.

8. Kay in MA says:

You amaze me with all that you accomplish! The quilt is simply stunning!!! I’ve never done big stitching before. You make me want to run and make a quick top so that I can stitch big too.

9. Ann says:

Boy, Tim, that quilt almost does the shimmy! I love all the bright colors and scrappiness but most of all I like how those curves make it move! (Or maybe it is my eye that is following the curves?)
    Anyway, great job on another inspiring project!!
    Ann

Thanks Ann! I was afraid when I started that the curves wouldn’t show when I cut them up and put them back together in a different order…..but they were curved enough and it worked…..I might try another with even more pronounced curves…..but I really need to finish a few of my works in progress ….

10. Mary Ann says:

Love it, love it, love it!!! I am a machine quilter but sure am glad I found your blog as I really enjoy reading it and seeing all your wonderful work. I hope some day to start a hand quilting project and see how I do.

11. Debbie says:

I love the quilt. Can’t wait to see your next idea. Thanks for keeping me motivated to keep up with my quilting.

12. LeeAnn says:

Love your circle quilting. Brilliant idea to use the hoop as your template! I may have to try it sometime.

13. Barbara says:

Love your quilts! Love your puppy!

Brilliant quilt, Tim.

15. Linda Hoffman Vaughn says:

Saw this on FB..but sooo much better here! Love the quilting!! And the back is great… but then the front is wonderful!!

16. Mrs. Plum says:

Tim have you considered entering this quilt into a modern quilt show or category? That is, if cute Teddy could give it up for awhile?

17. audrey says:

Love this quilt! The big circles are just wonderful with that thicker thread. Really great design from the piecing to the quilting.:)

18. Deb says:

Fantastic quilt and handsome dog! Perfect picture! 🙂

19. […] Using the same fabrics I did the piecing like I did in the last quilt. […]

20. Connie says:

Beautiful quilts! Have anyone used minky for the back when big stitch quilting?

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )