I have yet another project to work on. This one is a big restoration project. My Friend Julie Silber contacted me recently about a quilt that had been cannibalized for blocks. She thought I might be interested in putting it back into a useable form.
Julie Silber is one of the world’s most respected quilt experts. She has been selling antique quilts to museums, businesses, and individuals since 1968. Julie was the curator of the world-renowned Esprit Quilt Collection in San Francisco and is the co-author of the critically acclaimed books, Hearts and Hands and Amish: The Art of the Quilt, and is an overall super person.
Julie sent me the quilt to look at to see if I want to buy it…..YES I do…we need to finalize the deal but I couldn’t wait to post some pictures.
The block has a few different names.
I am using the name Indian Summer because it seems seasonally appropriate.
This is how we would probably piece it today….with fans in the corners…..set together to make circles
and probably foundation paper pieced to get all those points to work out.
In this quilts the circles were pieced as one unit and attached to the pink and blue setting pieces. this was all hand pieced and not using paper piecing.
As you can see from the picture this was a tied quilt. it has no batting so I imagine it was used in the summer.
I said that it was cannibalized for blocks. someone started taking it apart, harvesting the circles presumably to use for some other project.
there were 80 circles and now there are 48
the circles are small. about 7 1/2 inches finished size. and the triangles are about 3/4″ at the base and 1 1/2 inches tall.
there is no binding, the edges are turned in and stitched to the back
I think I can rearrange the blocks (after I finish the job of taking it all apart) and make it into a small quilt of about 48″ x 60″
Each block is made with a different fabric. (click on the pictures to enlarge)
when I get it back together I plan to hand quilt it, even thought it was originally tied. It was used and washed in its past and some of the blocks are showing the results of that. The seam allowances are pretty far gone on some of the blocks and I will need to replace some of the fabrics in those blocks. I will post pictures of that when I get to work on it. ( I should have taken pictures of those rather than just the good ones) hand quilting it pretty densely will add strength to it and help keep the seams from further splitting.
I think it will make a very pretty little quilt!
I did do a little more Paper foundation piecing on the Batik project.
As you can see I have a hard time getting the camera to give me consistent color on this. I need to take some pictures in natural sunlight to get it right. But you can get the idea. Every block I do makes me more excited about how it is going to look.
here is the design again (computer mock-up)