New top

I started making a quilt top about a year ago.    I was planning to do it with spiderweb blocks.

I made a few and it just didn’t feel right so in December (while cleaning up to decorate) I packed it away.   I started again on Sunday with a fresh perspective.   Over the course of the year I have expanded my view of quilts.   I still love the very traditional, but I also appreciate the less formal improvisational style.  When an idea strikes I need to go with it right away so that is what I did.

Using the same fabrics I did the piecing like I did in the last quilt.

I incorporated the blocks I had already finished into the top

Now i like it.   I might add a border

without a border it is 58 x 68 inches

Teddy looks good in(on) these colors

DSCN4042 DSCN4040

The pictures without Teddy are a truer color ….I took the Teddy pictures without a flash so he eyes wouldn’t get spots.

I was very excited to get a new book today (I have been waiting for months for it to come out) Unconventional & Unexpected  American Quilts Below the Radar 1950-2000 by Roderick Kiracofe

I have one of his other books “The American Quilt:  A History of Cloth and Comfort 1750-1950”  and this book completes the story.    People often view quilting as nonexistent between the late 40’s and the quilt revival of the 70’s.  This book shows that this was not the case.  The nearly 150 quilts in this book are surprisingly improvisational, much like Jazz is to music .   The notes are the same but they are played differently.    It is a beautiful book and I highly recommend it.

Now that I have satisfied my improvisational desires for a few days I am back to work on some traditional hand quilting.

23 thoughts on “New top

1. katechiconi says:

Just goes to show, nothing is ever wasted when you’re a quilter! Lovely colours and very clever the way you’ve incorporated the spider web blocks.

I am glad I finally used it…I bought the fabric at an AQS show…it is totally different than I envisioned at the time….but in the end I am glad I waited to be inspired

2. Nancy says:

I second the previous comment…. very clever! I once had a dream about a quilt in the middle of the night and got up and sketched it! It was years ago and it had to do with baseball (when I was a bigger fan).
    Somehow, I picture Teddy with sunglasses when you’re using a flash. Probably that though occured to me because I just saw the cutest bunny with sunglasses on. 🙂

3. Pam G. says:

So creative! And sweet Teddy! His pics always put a smile on my face.

4. Lucy Brown says:

Thanks for sharing. wondering how it would look with some kind of small triangles in the border, to carry the spider web design out to the edge. just a thought. can’t wait to see what you come up.

5. Mrs. Plum says:

My immediate thought when I saw the top was, “How great for Halloween!” Somehow the spider webs and colors made me think of that holiday. Love the combination of improvisational with precise piecing. Of course, Teddy improves the look of all of your quilts.

6. Tim, thank you for the nice comments on Unconvention & Unexpected, keep making your beautiful creations! All the best, Roderick

7. Rose in VT says:

Teddy poses so nicely! Does he like having his picture taken or do you entice him with something? You inspired me to start not one but two more hand quilting projects. And THAT got me going through parts of the studio that hadn’t seen daylight in awhile, so found some hilarious UFO’s that I’d completely forgotten. Some are not worth finishing, but are good for a laugh. I’ve also been having great fun with some improvisational (for me anyway) piecing lately.

he is a little ham…he loves to pose…….he does get a piece of celery (his favorite treat) if he poses nice and is careful with the quilt……it is fun to dig up old ufo’s! glad you are hand quilting!!

8. bjmonitas says:

HI there, I totally agree if an idea needs to rest when the inner voice says it doesn’t feel right. With the new compostion of the two blocks It now makes the quilt an eye catcher!!! I am really curious about the book and I would you to tell us more about it. The shipping costs are sooo expensive that it helps to know what one is buying. Do you mind? Kndest bjmonitas

9. those are some pretty blocks – I love the fuscia and purple one!

10. […] The design is based on one In the new book I posted about, Unconventional & Unexpected American Quilts Below the Radar 1950-2000, https://timquilts.com/2014/09/15/new-top/ […]

11. Carolyn says:

I enjoy visiting your blog, Tim. You make amazing quilts. Teddy sure knows how to ‘work’ the camera! Found your used of #8 Perle cotton interesting – I’ve done two quilts using it and the “big stitch” and I love the look.

12. […] am moving along on the hand quilting.   (the the post about making the top here https://timquilts.com/2014/09/15/new-top/ […]

Comments