Clearing the deck with a wonky nine patch

I made a new top today.  I decided it was better to use up the piles of fabric on the work table (which is actually the dining room table…but if you never put away the sewing machine you can call it a studio) than to put them away.  It seems like when I put things away they are gone forever.

Anyway I made a new top with 12 fat quarters.

I started by cutting them all into 9 inch squares (4 per fat quarter)

pick 2 and stack them (right sides up)

then cut them into 9

no measuring!  In fact you want them to be odd and wonky …the more asymmetrical the better (at least for me).

Next you separate them into two nine patch groups (remember there are 2 different fabrics in the pile)

sew them into rows

press the seams in alternating directions

sew the rows together

press

one block done

repeat for the other block

after all 48 blocks are done arrange them in whatever way you like

sew them all together

I added 2.5″ x 8″ strips (made from the leftovers) on the 2 sides to make it a bit wider….finished size is 50″ x 60″

I found some plaid flannel in my stock pile for the backing.

I think very simple hand quilting is in order

The design is based on one In the new book I posted about, Unconventional & Unexpected American Quilts Below the Radar 1950-2000, https://timquilts.com/2014/09/15/new-top/

32 thoughts on “Clearing the deck with a wonky nine patch

1. Mary Ann says:

Another great quilt!

2. Sandi says:

I love your wonky quilt! Thanks for showing how to make the block. I’d like to try that also.

3. Rebecca says:

Your work fascinates me. I love quilts but I don’t quilt. Sew. That you are able to construct top and get them quilted so quickly is amazing. Thank you for sharing your work.

4. Anne Kasten says:

You are on a roll! Can’t tell you what joy I get from seeing your work posted. It is so GOOD! And you do so much~!

5. Deb says:

This looks like fun!!! Have to give it a try after I catch up on some of my other ” left to finish later” projects. Great looking top!

6. Debbie says:

Love this. I have a bunch of thrifted plaid shirts. I think I will pair them with solids and make this. Love it.

7. katechiconi says:

There are some very odd optical effects happening there, it’s so interesting for the eye to wander around. Sometimes the quick and easy ones are such fun! It would be a great boy’s quilt.

8. Pam G. says:

I love this & will have to try it. You are such an inspiration! Love, love, love your work & your posts. Give Teddy a scratch behind the ear for me.

9. Patty Gal says:

Tim, this is such a simple and yet clever technique. I have friends in Vermont who make quilts for The Linus Project. I would really love to share this with them if that’s OK with you. This would be a quick and simple process for making a quilt top that would fit their needs perfectly. Please let me know whether or not you mind me sharing. I love it!

10. Lin McQ says:

I know what you mean by putting fabric away and it disappears. I made an Irish Chain queen size quilt out of 30s fabric. When it was finished I too didn’t want to re-enter it back into my stash. Eleven quilts later, I used up the last of that fabric. It felt so good to be rid of it, and I had some beautiful quilts to use and give as gifts. Love your wonky 9 patch. Will have to give that a try.

11. Kara says:

Hi Tim, Love this wonky block- A nice break from the norm – this is the perfect project that will enable me to let my hair down and not fret over anything but fabrics- and that is my fave fret….

12. LeeAnn says:

Great quilt and tute. Thanks!

13. Jan Smith says:

What fun! You are so right about fabric out of site = out of mind.

14. […] finished hand quilting the wonky nine patch last night.    Now don’t say I can’t believe how fast you quilt….I worked on […]

15. Katie says:

It looks to me that these recent quilts mark the beginning of the “Tim Latimer Wonky Period”. 😉 Thanks for sharing, it’s fun to see the creativity evolving into a completed quilt.

16. Tina Williams says:

This quilt top is now the inspiration for my next project. For my daughters wedding I made aver 140 napkins out of random pieces of fabric that had been in my stash for many years. They are not all the same size as I just optimized what ever piece I was cutting. At any rate, out of some of these I assembled a memory quilt but from the rest I wanted to make a functional quilt. Since my fabrics are so random and sometimes I have only 1 or 2 of a particular pattern, this seems to be the prefect solution. The more random the fabrics, the better. Thank you for posting your works of art. They are all great inspiration.

Comments