Teddy Quilt

Teddy goes to see a groomer about every 5 weeks.   He needs frequent hair cuts to maintain his good looks  🙂

the groomer is great and he loves to go get pampered and she always gives him a new scarf.   I have been saving his scarfs and last night I made them into a quilt top.

after he wears them for a month or so they do get dirty and frayed so I had to trim them down some but I was able to make them into 12 inch blocks…2 scarfs per block.  Now if you do some math that makes the cost of this quilt top by far the most expensive I will ever make….50 dollars per scarf (before the tip) 2 scarfs per block, 12 blocks in the quilt = $1,200.00 then I added a border and a Teddy print.

A while back I ordered some fabric from Spoonflower, a company that custom prints fabric, with a picture of Teddy.

spoonflower teddy

I cut out and appliqued teddy to the top….

And It is just about life sized….so sometimes there will be two Teddys

Here are more pictures (click to enlarge)

I am not sure how I will quilt this one yet…..but I think Teddy is anxious for me to finish it.

77 thoughts on “Teddy Quilt

1. Lori Loff says:

Cool idea.

My granddaughter is a dog lover. It would be fun for her to make dog scarves. Is it just a triangle? How big would you cut the square?

Thanks, Everyday I can’t get over the fact that you get so much quilting done. If I were hand quilting, I would estimate it would take me a year to get one done.

Maybe I should mind my own business, but I’m curious, do you have a regular job? I’m a stay at home grandma…………

Lori

I made the squares 12 inches , just 2 triangles sewn together to make a square ….Teddy’s scarfs aren’t that big so the triangles are almost as big as the full scarf, just trimmed to get the ragged edges off.

I teach floral design for my regular job

2. Sandi says:

That quilt is a great idea!

But he’s worth it! Now he won’t want to be on any other quilt than his own…..maybe. 🙂

4. susanknolta says:

Love it!!

5. karenfae says:

how cute and thoughtful of you 🙂 I don’t know if I would have thought to safe those expensive scarfs!

6. Sharron Evans says:

Sometimes you do things that are so clever and so stunning, they leave me speechless. This quilt is just too awesome for words!

7. Cathie King says:

There will be no living with the little guy now! Quilt little dog bones around the border

8. Nancy says:

Others get teeshirt quilts and Teddy has his own scarf quilt! What a clever idea. The deep color on the very first picture is so realistic that the only giveaway is that Teddy’s paws are covered. Will be waiting to see how you decide to quilt it. Are the trees starting their colorful display in your area?

It is a pretty realistic print….the trees here aren’t quite there yet….just starting in a few places…the neighbor has several black walnut trees and they have been loosing leaves for weeks….all into my garden, not pretty just messy…..so I have been raking up and bagging leaves for weeks but no pretty trees yet

9. Helen says:

What a good idea! This is so adorable! – and funny, too! 🙂
    And I think the saying goes : when we love, we don’t count…
    Besides of this, isn’t Teddy the best model ever?!?!!!
    Best wishes!

10. Connie Blankley says:

What a great idea, my dogs have blankets, I may just cut them up for a special one to lay on the couch for them as we travel. Thank you for sharing your work

11. Joy Smith says:

SO CUTE! Notice that Teddy sat beside the pic never once on it.:)

12. Pam G. says:

Oh my! That is just too awesome. At first glance I thought that was Teddy sitting on his quilt. What a clever, clever idea. Teddy has to be thrilled to have his very own custom quilt.

13. Nancy says:

too too cute!

14. Jan Smith says:

How wonderful and adorable! Teddy x 2:)

15. Susan Dileanis says:

You really made my day…you are so creative.

16. What a sweet idea. I wish I’d kept Jolly’s bandanas. He’s got a few of them in a drawer, but the problem is that my groomer has three styles that she keeps on rotation. Not a terribly interesting quilt. Jolly only wears his for a week or so; after that the knot comes unravelled and it falls off. Definitely a good idea to keep in mind though.

17. Deborah Marshall says:

Wow, what an awesome and creative idea! I am working on collecting family tshirts…. never thought of that one! You amaze me!!!

18. Kathi says:

LOVE your Teddy quilt and the Teddy applique too… you are so smart Tim to design such a great quilt for your pup. Thanks for sharing it! Cant wait to see how this one gets trimmed and what kind of batting you will use 🙂 Your groomer has great taste in fabrics too! Kathi

19. Becky in VA says:

Nice job on such a great quilt for Mr. Teddy!

20. Shirley says:

that is just sooooooo cute! Teddy deserves it! this would be a good idea for anyone who is lucky enough to have such a loving pet! Love it!

21. dora cary says:

This quilt made me smile … very sweet and clever idea. And it has Teddy’s approval, too. 🙂

Tim, I am in awe at your talent and at how prolific you are as a quilter. I quilt a lot but I do not finish nearly as many quilts as I wish, even though I machine quilt my quilts! Life always seems to want to get in the way and most days I can barely find the time to quilt. How do you do it?

22. Deb says:

“The most valuable things in life
    are not measured in monetary terms.
    The really important things are not houses and lands,
    stocks and bonds, automobiles and real estate,
    but friendships, trust, confidence, empathy, mercy, love and faith.”
    –Bertrand Russell
    I think Teddy falls into this description well. He sure is pleased that you took time to make this for him ! Cute quilt!

23. Jill says:

Teddy’s is the best-ever dog quilt. You may have started a new trend.

24. Debra Gutenson says:

Tim, what a great idea. As a owner of a standard poodle, we go to the groomer about every 6 weeks, and come home with a new scarf. Guess what I’ll be saving from now on?!

25. Shayla Sharp says:

Love it! Our border collie doesn’t go to the groomers, but I still make him quilts, which he loves! I’m sure Teddy is thrilled to have such a posh new quilt and that’s a great use for the old scarves!

26. Eileen Mele says:

Have noticed and admired his various scarves! Fun project!

27. Anne Kasten says:

that dog is just too darn cute. and I love the appliqué of him on the quilt.
    what a clever idea!!!

28. Karen says:

You are lucky the groomer is only $50. Maybe Eli and I should move to Michigan! Our dogs are priceless!!!

29. Pat Long says:

What a wonderful idea! Teddy will love it when it’s finished.

30. Deb says:

Just Brilliant! Who would have thought to use old dog scarves in a quilt. I just lost my Huskie and thanks to you I am going to use her scarfs in a quilt and thanks for informing me about Spoonflower. Ill be adopting a resuce schnauzer in the middle of Oct. so nice to see Teddy. Thanks again

31. Dorothy says:

Teddy is such a fine gentleman, thank you for sharing his quilt top with us.

32. Cynthia says:

Funny and sweet quilt. When my son said I should make a “German Shepherd quilt” I cringed and laughed (inwardly)… but your fabulous Teddy quilt has given me inspiration… someday!

33. Patty Gal says:

You know you are an inspiration Tim. I’m going to go sew!

34. […] I started hand quilting the Teddy quilt. […]

35. Katie says:

I read this first part of the blog and thought, “how creative to recycle the scarves”, then when I got to the picture of Teddy appliqued on the front I said out loud, “Oh I love it!” What a truly meaningful quilt. I enjoy seeing how you create, it helps me to look for inspiration everywhere.

36. […] worked on the quilt for Teddy over the weekend and I finished it Sunday […]

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )