The next on the pile to be quilted is this one

I added a border using the pale green ombre that I used in the top.   The top measures 83″ x 73″

I used silk Batting.

Here is the top ready to baste (the color on the picture is sort of off)

I baste with safety pins and use very few, one in the corner of each block.

Sometimes people get worried when they see one of my quilts basted because it doesn’t look perfectly flat.  I adjust the layers as I quilt and I have never had a pucker.   It takes me about 30 minutes to pin baste a quilt this way.  I think I use less pins with every new quilt.   Once the quilt is in the hoop I adjust if needed and the hoop is what holds the layers together and smooth.

I used a really great rayon Batik for the backing (the same used in the top)

I plan to use black thread, size 12 perle cotton, for the quilting.

It is nice to do larger quilting for a break from some of the others with regular quilting thread.

Here are some pictures of the snowflake quilt with a zillion small stitches (click pictures to enlarge)

More updates on the other quilts in progress coming soon

13 thoughts on “Next

1. Deb says:

If you don’t baste much , than how much allowance do you add to the backing and batting so that your quilt top doesn’t go over the edge of either? I got a lap hoop never used one before. I alway used my frame. But my bedroom where I have it is way to far from the wood stove … So I thought a hoop would be nice for winter. Love your snowflake quilt!

Ideally I like about 4 inches extra on all the edges….not because I am worried too much about the top shifting over the edge ( I start quilting in the center and work out so the top really cant move to the edges once it is quilted down in the center) but because the extra backing and batting makes it easier to get the edges into the hoop for quilting.

2. Janice Graziano says:

Three questons: 1) If the top and the back both have rayon and the batting is silk – how do you clean it? and 2) What do you do with all the quilts that you quilt when you are quilting your own (and not for someone else)? and 3) How do you store your quilts? I really enjoy getting your posts and seeing all of your new/revisited projects.

They are all washable. I prewashed the rayon and dried it in the dryer, I am not sure about all rayon but this one I purchased at at show and talked to the manufacturer and she told me it washes well…..the silk batting is also washable ….I even dry it in the dryer on low but it will shrink about 5% but I like the look the shrinking gives the quilt. I use the quilts, and display them….and I use them in my lectures and trunk shows…..I store them in big Plastic storage Tubs, contrary to what many recommend …plastic is inert and if you can store fabric and clothes in it you can store quilts in it. they get taken out and refolded several times a year because I use them in my lectures. quilts should be refolded a few times a year so they don’t get permanent creases

3. katechiconi says:

Looking forward to see what design you’ve chosen for this one – the design is so strong and graphic.

4. Ginney says:

That quilt should be fun. Can’t wait to see it finished. The batik on the back is pretty. This year I hand quilted one in all batiks for the very first time and thought it was SO hard to needle through!

5. Rose in VT says:

Tim: Can’t wait to see what quilting you do for this one. How is rayon to hand quilt through?

6. annetisell says:

You are SUCH an inspiration!:)

Comments