The next on the pile to be quilted is this one
I added a border using the pale green ombre that I used in the top. The top measures 83″ x 73″
I used silk Batting.
Here is the top ready to baste (the color on the picture is sort of off)
I baste with safety pins and use very few, one in the corner of each block.
Sometimes people get worried when they see one of my quilts basted because it doesn’t look perfectly flat. I adjust the layers as I quilt and I have never had a pucker. It takes me about 30 minutes to pin baste a quilt this way. I think I use less pins with every new quilt. Once the quilt is in the hoop I adjust if needed and the hoop is what holds the layers together and smooth.
I used a really great rayon Batik for the backing (the same used in the top)
I plan to use black thread, size 12 perle cotton, for the quilting.
It is nice to do larger quilting for a break from some of the others with regular quilting thread.
Here are some pictures of the snowflake quilt with a zillion small stitches (click pictures to enlarge)
More updates on the other quilts in progress coming soon