Some Hand Quilting

Last time I posted about basting this quilt.

I put the quilt in the hoop and listened to what it had to say (quilts talk if you listen).   It said it wants simple quilting.    I am using #12 black perle cotton thread and a size 5 embroidery needle.  All straight lines….or straightish because I am not doing any marking or even trying to be perfect.

DSCN4385 DSCN4383
The spacing between the lines is somewhat random…whatever feels right.

Here are some more pictures (click picture to enlarge)

Here are a few pictures from the basic floral design class I teach

15 thoughts on “Some Hand Quilting

1. Lorij says:

I Like It. Some things are better just simple. The easy quilting enhances all of the beautiful colors. Good job!

• Lorij says:

Some time ago you said that using sheets as backing may not be a good idea because they are so tightly woven. I had just started quilting a new quilt and am using a sheet for the back. I’ve learned that if the sheet is laundered several times that softens it quite a bit and it makes a wonderful backing. It is very seldom I do a solid back because most of the time my backs are as pretty as the top. This back will look like a whole cloth with big stitches when completed. What has been done so far is nice. I’m not half as fast as you are☺.
        I’ll send pictures when It’s finish. Lorij

I still highly discourage using sheets as quilt backings ….but if it works for you then it is fine….

2. Lorij says:

What does the other side look like?

3. katechiconi says:

I agree, the quilt’s opinion should always be taken into account when considering the design for quilting. Of course, sometimes the dratted thing wants a load more work than I want to put in!

4. Kathleen Campbell says:

This quilt is cute.
    re: line width – I use my thumb or index finger to measure. This way it has some continuity.

5. Patty Gal says:

Like your quilting plan Tim. It suits the top perfectly.

6. I’m wondering if you pre-wash your fabric. This has not occurred to me and I have not had any mishaps with my quilts though I do use very good fabric ( including a red and white valentune quilt I made) and color catcher when I wash the quilt after binding.. But I do see quilters who say they pre-wash, then starch and iron their fabric before cutting,.

I prewash everything. washed fabric is a million times easier to hand quilt. It aslo makes sure that any shrinkage is done before the quilt is made. different fabrics shrink at different rates and I rarely use just one line in a quilt. I dont like to starch because that makes the hand quilting more difficult.

7. Deb says:

Lovely flower arrangements! The quilting definitely fits the quilt. Looks great!!

Comments