More vintage tops

I have a few more vintage top to share today.  I plan to get to these soon, but as you know I change plans frequently ….

This lone star is really great!   I love 2 color quilts.

As is often the case with these it has a few issues.

the center is rather mountainous.

and the setting triangles are on the bias and very puckered.

I think the easiest solution will be to take it apart into the 8 main pieces/star points and trim them to the correct size and replace the bias cut triangles.  When I get to work on it I will post all about how I do the fix.

Next is a spool top.

A very simple design but I really like it.   It is a bit less than well made

not really flat and not very precise in the piecing

and some of those vertical stripes would be much better if they were horizontal…more like thread on a spool.

but I really like it as it is.

I think I will just press this one well and quilt it as it is.

Teddy likes it the way it is

Remember this quilt?

dscn3738

I made it with a line of fabric from P&B Textiles called Interplay

P&B Textiles now has my pattern (as well as many others) available as a free download on their website here http://www.pbtex.com/free-patterns/

It is an easy one to make…and could easily be made larger with the addition of borders.

If you are going to be at the Houston Quilt Market visit P&B at booths 1356 & 1361

I have a Floral Design Class to teach Saturday Morning …pictures of that soon

15 thoughts on “More vintage tops

1. Jenny says:

Hi Tim,
    I love the respect you show for old quilts – even the less than perfect. It seems to be a rare attitude in our current world.
    I live in Queensland, Australia, to the photos of your garden are a real treat. Thank you.

2. katechiconi says:

I shall be looking forward to seeing how you fix the star quilt – my one and only UFO (as opposed to WIP) is a star quilt that started to go wrong due to stretched bias edges, and I think I’m going to have to take it apart and fix it. Your method should give me a head start on the ‘how to’.

3. Jan Smith says:

How cool – I’m clicking over to get your pattern, thanks!

That spool top is fun! Someone had an eye — I don’t have the aesthetic gift to create, but I take comfort that I can recognize talent.

5. Deb says:

That’s great that P&B have your pattern . 🙂 I love the star top, once you get it straighten out , it’s going to be lovely. You have some nice empty places for some great handquilting! The spool top is nice , Teddy has a good eye for pretty quilts. 🙂

that is true…the star has lots of space to quilt…..should be fun to decide what to fill it with 🙂 hopefully soon

I think Teddy thinks that spool top is his…..he didn’t want to get off of that one

6. bermudagirl says:

Hi Tim love the two rescues, can’t wait to see what you do with them. I have got a spool quilt that I have on my to do list, so it is nice to have this one to get some ideas!
    Jodie

7. annetisell says:

Teddy has good taste!The thread spools look great,I know it will look sensational with the Tim treatment!

8. Susie Feathers says:

I’m a long time quilter and collector–you have a gorgeous collection! I saw some terrific P&B fabrics at our local shop today…big sale on Saturday so I must go! Thanks.

Comments

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )