Finished!

I started hand quilting this quilt on March 5 (see that post here https://timquilts.com/2014/03/05/now-for-a-little-spring/).

I worked on it off and on since then.   The vintage top had some problems and you can see how I fixed that here https://timquilts.com/2014/04/05/a-fix-for-the-bias-bulge/

I quilted vines in the sashing and here is how I marked those https://timquilts.com/2014/03/13/sashing-vines/

DSCN4801DSCN4800

I washed it after It was finished to get out the pencil marks and the dirt from years of storage.    I washed it on the gentle cycle in the machine with hot water, I used Tide and a cup of Oxiclean and a few tablespoons of Dawn dish washing liquid.   The dawn prevents any stray dyes from reabsorbing into the fabrics.     I then dried it in the dryer at regular temperature.

All the dirt and markings came out.

Here are pictures of all the blocks (click pictures to enlarge)

Here is the back….that horrible backing fabric that was the biggest quilting mistake I ever made.

Teddy had to make his final inspection…..here is is looking closely at the stitching

He decided that it will do

DSCN4805 DSCN4804

I still need to steam out some wrinkles that always happen in the washing and drying and then it is on to other quilts.

This morning I looked out the window to see this.

looks like a not so good day to work in the garden 🙂

My friends at P&B Textiles are generously providing fabrics for a give away……here is a preview of 2 of the lines

DSCN4774 DSCN4773

Check back next time for details on how to enter and see more pictures of all the fabrics.

Happy Quilting!

76 thoughts on “Finished!

1. Teresa Barensfeld says:

Beautiful! Thanks for the details on washing a vintage quilt, too. Which Dawn detergent are you using?

2. cmosey says:

It turned out beautifully, and it looks like Teddy approves.

3. Marilyn says:

Excellent work as always. Snowing here in Ontario too. Glad to see Teddy again, One of my dogs Is sticking by my side. Toffee isn’t feeling well so no breakfast! Since the other dogs got fed she thinks she should too. Maybe at lunch time.

Spectacular!

5. Alex says:

Another beautiful quilt. You did a wonderful job. Looks like the chief inspector approves too. We’ll done.

6. Barbara Wellman says:

Tim, another beautiful quilt. Quilting is definitely a great way to spend time during this cold snap.

Congratulations! Long road for this one, rather a landmark for various reasons. And it’s good to see proof that Teddy takes his duties seriously — a serious quilt inspector for serious quilts.

8. kathi says:

another masterpiece!You are so kind to share all your know-how as well as your beautiful boy!

9. Annette Johnston says:

You are a Master, Tim. This is a wonder. Today I have some “dedicated” quilting friends coming over so I’m going to show him your before and after photos…and also introduce them to Teddy.

10. kathleen Campbell says:

I really like quilts with a white background. This is a quilt that I think is beautiful. Teddy compliments the quilt.

11. Mrs. Plum says:

Love the yellow saching, Tim. You did a masterful job with the quilting, as always.

12. Victoria says:

You already know how I feel about this beautiful quilt! Is this one going up for sale? Love the P & B fabric!

13. Barbara says:

Awesome! It looks like a bona fide Antique.

14. Daria says:

Your work is amazing, Tim! The quilt is now enhanced with your beauty.
    P&B fabrics are at the top of my favorites list. 🙂

15. Pamela says:

Love this quilt, Tim, and glad that you have finally finished it. We all make choices that affect a quilt, but you worked through them and got it done. I think that this is one of my favorite antique quilts that you have finished.

16. Connie Griner says:

Tim, your quilt is lovely! I enjoy your blog very much, and appreciate how generous you are with sharing your quilting adventures with all of us. I have learned a lot from reading your posts, but the most valuable lesson has been to keep on plugging away even when a quilt project develops problems. I really admire your resourcefulness and your persistence! And, of course, the pictures of Teddy are the frosting on the cake!

17. katechiconi says:

It’s a great job, well done for persisting and keeping on keeping on through the nightmare of the backing. Teddy clearly approves!

18. Cathi says:

Another wonderful quilt – I love the quilting you did in the sashing.

19. Glennis Salls says:

Tim, as you are aware I am a new quilter. I took a class on quilt as you go and we made several sampler blocks. It was a huge learning curve for me and many mistakes corrected. In the end I added sashes betwen all the blocks and joined them. I put batting on the same way and the backing. It looks terrible. I wonder if I could use the technique you demonstrated for bias cure to make the sashing lay better? It is a horrible wrinkled mess. Also attempted to quilt on the machine, very bad decision.

I have seen the quilt as you go method and have never tried it….I am not sure I could do it myself……I imagine that if there is extra fullness it would be fixable by that method….and sure would be a lot easier than trying to take it apart! I also think we are always our own worst critic and it probably is not as bad to others as you think it is yourself…….I have made lots of quilts and I learn something new from every one so stick with it 🙂

20. Mary Ann says:

Tim I love your tenacity. Wish I had a little more of it. Just tell Glennis we all have learning curves in the beginning. Do the best you can and resolve to do better next time. Quilt as you go for a beginning quilt is a little much. Just doing a top is an accomplishment. It takes a Tim to make the top look fabulous just like the “topper maker” was hoping for. Pet, pet for Teddy. He keeps you straight!!,
    Mary Ann

21. Janet says:

It looks just beautiful! I especially like how you quilted the sashing. I can’t wait to see what quilt is next :0)

22. Jan Smith says:

What a crisp, pretty quilt. I read your washing method, and my jaw dropped! You are so brave, but I can see that it works. I’m making note of that; thanks.

LOL…..sounds pretty harsh to was a quilt like that doesn’t it….I should add that I would not do that with every quilt…it the fabric is really not color fast the oxiclean would really take out all the color…..and many antique quilts are too delicate…..but since mine are all newly quilted with new backing and batting they can stand up to the washing machine..the new fabric back and the quilting adds a lot of strength

23. barbvedder says:

Beautiful traditional quilt and your quilting is lovely! Nice finish

24. Jaydee says:

I sure do like the tulip quilt. Nicely quilted. Jaydee

Sent from my iPad

25. Mimi says:

This quilt has grown on me as you have worked and worked and fixed! As usual well done!!!! I would skip the garden as well. We are to have a very hard freeze tonight so I have dug up three plants that would die if left outside. Sentimental value….as I am sure I could buy replacements for a few dollars.

26. JudieBee says:

Tim, for me, a large part of your magnetism is your natural “un-fussiness.” Is the quilt dirty? Wash it. Does it need quilting? Quilt it. Mark a quilt with a pencil, a water soluble marker – whatever – it will be alright. 12 stitches per inch? Is that really attainable? Ah heck, use embroidery thread to quilt! Or just tie it! And don’t count the stitches. Done is better than perfect.
    What a breath of fresh air you are, Tim! You have inspired me to hand quilt my “Megan’s Quilt,” using Tuscany wool batting and size 12 perle cotton. That top has been in a pillow case since 1983.
    I can’t think of a better recognition of your contribution to quilting in 2014.
    Kindest regards,
    Judie

27. Sue says:

I’d like to eventually make a peony quilt, and particularly have like the red and green ones, but this one really inspires me. I make scrap quilts if it’s my choice and like LOTS of color. I do have a question: did you quilt through the stems? I can’t quite tell from the pictures and am curious. Congratulations on finishing. I especially love this quilt!

I didnt quilt through the stems on this one…I outline quilted around them right up to the edge….if I had made a batter backing choice and the quilting was easier to do I would have quilted through them, but with that extra layer I wasn’t sure I could do it neatly

28. Isabella says:

Loved following the progress of this quilt , thanks

29. Gai Haines says:

A great job, love the binding. I used an awful back once, take heart, you only do it once!

30. Ángela says:

Beautiful job, Tim. Now you can go out and shovel. We also have a lot of snow and strong winds. The air looks like one of those snow paperweights when you shake them.
    Teddy, keep a close eye on that guy. If not for you, nothing would be done.

Thanks….:) right now Teddy is curled up on his quilt sleeping…looking very comfortable…..while I am working on ideas for a design with some new fabric…..he doesn’t find watching me work on the computer very interesting LOL

31. Mary says:

Such a pretty quilt! It’s a good thing that Teddy approves or you’d be ripping out. He looks so sweet but he must be a taskmaster.

32. audrey says:

Love looking at all the gorgeous details in this quilt. It’s always such a joy to see the hand stitching make a quilt come alive.

33. Judy says:

Awesome!! I can see some hand quilting in my near future.

34. Helen says:

Congratulations, Tim! The quilting is PERFECT for this quilt! Beautiful!!

35. Helen says:

And I am sorry that you had such problems with the backing fabric! Don’t think that I would have stuck with it; but then again, thinking of all the work for re-doing the quilt-sandwich, you certainly have been right!

36. Bobbie Davis says:

Sure hope you bring this quilt to our Strawberry Brunch in May at ULC!! Teddy is one smart dog. Not only does he recognize great quilting, but he is a master a posing for the camera!!

37. Maureen says:

Beautiful quilting – thanks for the washing info!

38. Sharron says:

Your TALENT is amazing……and I Love your pupster! I I feel validated by the fact that you machine wash (do you use a front or top loader?)I have a hard time finding the determination to hand wash….and in NW WA….the weather doesn’t co-operate! Please include me in your fabric drawing…..What Fun!

39. I have seen earlier posts of this quilt and enjoyed seeing your progress. A beautiful finish as always 🙂

40. Kimberly P. says:

It looks beautiful and to think of the little bumps in the road you experienced. Thank you for sharing. You are very inspirational.

Comments