Quilting Begins

I started to hand quilt the Luxury Essentials quilt.

I started by layering and pin basting

It might be hard to see in the picture but I placed a pin at the corner of each block. This is many less pins than most would recommend.  I find that a lot of pins just get in the way and the hoop will keep the layers together and smooth.

I am using perle cotton thread.

And keeping the quilting very simple

I didn’t want an elaborate quilting design to compete with the fabrics and the lines of the top

Teddy likes the colors

I have a bunch of other projects going which I will be posting about soon but I wanted to get the quilting on this one started.

Back to work

17 thoughts on “Quilting Begins

1. I like this quilt, and I’m intrigued by the use of perle cotton thread. Seems like more quilters are trying it these days, so that makes you a trend setter. 🙂

wow…never thought I would be a trend setter 🙂 I think I used it first in 2011..and it is becoming a favorite of mine for non antique quilts…..I love the contrast

2. Victoria says:

Ditto, Bill. I’ll have to try perle thread. Seeing your posts always gives me a warm fuzzy feeling….

And it looks like Teddy is even saying thumbs up or paws up on this one even though it isn’t done yet!

4. judiebee says:

Hey Tim. Very nice. Are you using size 8 or 12 perle cotton? And why one rather than the other?
    Kindest regards,
    JudieBee

5. dkhalcomb2 says:

lovely quilt. I tried big stitch with perle cotton a couple months ago. I am loving it too.

6. You are quite liberating with your common sense approach. One pin in each corner, and no thread basting (yippee!), not to forget the perle cotton, which I shall try too. Teddy looks most definitely approving. In fact, that quilt could be made for him, as the colours match so well!

7. Carolyn in Maine says:

I’ve used perle cotton too and like it. The “big stitch” is faster. What size needle do you use with the size 8 thread?

8. Lorij says:

Tim, when I sent the pictures I didn’t even think about waiting until I’d washed it. When I do I’ll send some. ☺

9. […] Here is a post about the quilting  which I started on Dec 1 https://timquilts.com/2014/12/01/quilting-begins-2/ […]

Comments