I am working on at least a few projects all the time.   For hand quilting I have the antique applique quilt in the hoop.  A few stains on this block.  They will likely not come out completely but that is the nature of antique tops…they are never perfect.

This one takes a lot of time.   But It will be worth the effort.

I started piecing the Bella Suede quilt.

First I divided the fabrics into 2 groups

The row on the left will be cut into squares and then half square triangles.  The row on the right will be cut into strips and then sewn into squares.

Here is a finished block

It is a 17 inch block.  Each block will be somewhat different because I will use all 30 of the fabrics.

I have a few other quilts in the piecing process so I will probably be working on 3 of them off and on when I am not hand quilting.

Teddy is patiently awaiting the arrival of Santa and being very good.

I hope he can last for a week.

29 thoughts on “Next

1. Lovely quilting! Do you like your new Grace hoop? I hope the stains come out, perhaps with Grandma’s secret spot remover?
    Teddy knows exactly what is coming, I am sure. He has that knowing look on his face. Oh, and your new block looks exciting!

thanks! The stains will get lighter I am sure, but they are actually acid burns. something acidic was folded up in the top and over the years caused burn marks…..which is why the say to store quilt wrapped in acid free tissue paper and never put them on wooden shelves or cedar chests. I like the new hoop…..the square shape is really nice

2. Renie Levecchia says:

Thank you, Tim. It gives me such pleasure to see your projects and of course, to see a pix of Teddy. May you both have a MERRY CHRISTMAS and a very HAPPY NEW YEAR. Renie

3. Angela says:

He is a star, no doubt about that.
    Maybe some oxyclean applied on the stain?

He is 🙂
      I use oxiclean on some quilts, but on this one I would rather have a stain than risk damaging the fabric……it can be pretty harsh on very old fabric

4. Chrisanna says:

The quilt block you have in the hoop – I am partial to that Pattern and color way. Good progress! The new fabric colors you have there look so rich and wonderful. And, Teddy is so sweet.. I love seeing him in your pics. Hope you have a good weekend Tim.

5. Sandy says:

Teddy looks so cute & well behavec on the lovely grey blanket.

that is his chair…at least he thinks it is…..that is actually a rug I made with 2 inch strips of fabric, I covered the chair with it because it is rough in texture and he loves to roll on it…on his back …legs in the air

6. Jane S. says:

As always, your work is amazing…and Teddy is adorable. His little round head and those ears just capture my heart! 🙂

7. darlynn says:

As always, your workmanship is wonderful.
    and Teddy is being ever so patient.

ps….thanks for the quilt block and picture. i could not have been more surprised and pleased!!!

8. Carla says:

Just love that appliqued quilt! You seem to be piecing more than you used to.

Yes I really don’t enjoy piecing nearly as much as I do quilting but I have lots of ideas and that I want to try so Piecing away….actually I am starting to get better at it so I am liking it more
      The applique is such a great design…I think I might try to make a new one of it…..But I like applique even less than piecing 🙂 Teddy reminded me to Say hi to Max fro him

9. Sandra B says:

It always makes me smile to see a post about the appliqué quilt. As I have mentioned in previous comments, I love this quilt, and I am amazed at how vibrant the fabric colors are after so many years. Cannot wait to see the quilt all finished!
    Merry Christmas to you and Teddy!!

Always makes me smile when you post on this quilt too, 😉

There’s a real grace to the curves of the applique, so masterful. I hope it’s fun to work on. I remember gasping when the first time I saw it, as the photo loaded on my screen — it really has ruined me for just about any other quilt top, nothing really impresses me any more.

11. Lindsay Pavel says:

Your new pattern is quite striking and I gave a little “oof” when I first saw it. The stripes and triangles look so much more handsome than the fabrics do just folded on the table. I too am planning a rail fence combo for my next project: a copy of an antique quilt that I slept under as a teen. That one is somewhat shredded now, but rests in the care of an antique quilt lover. I wonder what Teddy will get for Christmas?

thanks….your next one sounds great….enjoy making it!

teddy will get a new stuffed critter to tear apart,a bunny or a fox…..he thinks it is his job to kill them so he shakes them around as if to break their neck then chews a hole in them and removes all the stuffing, then caries the empty hide around for days….sounds rather violent but it is really funny to watch

12. audrey says:

Love this quilt! Too bad about the stain but I know you’ll make it a lot lighter after you work your magic on it! I’m so amazed at what you accomplish. Great inspiration to the rest of us plodders.:)

13. Mary says:

Please go to Vicki Welsh’s blog on he neighbor’s quilt. I posted I comment on her blog that she should talk to you. The neighbor’s quilt is a huge postage stamp quilt which isn’t flat so some people are suggesting it be cut up. You do amazing things with imperfect quilts and y might have a better suggestion. I would even tie it before I’d cut it up. I love the orange, green, red quilt. I told my friend that I wanted to make one and she said I needed to start with something easier. I have taken classes but find I’m never satisfied with my applique as it doesn’t have the “corners must match” precision of piecing. Thanks!

14. Rose in VT says:

Teddy is clearly waiting for Santa. I am fascinated with the rug, did you crochet it? I’m doing one now with yarn, but have not tried yet with fabric strips. One of these days…

15. Pat Long says:

Merry Christmas to you and Teddy!

Comments