More Layouts

It is just too much fun to play with a new quilt design!

This block is a lot of fun

yesterday I posted these layouts

DSCN5232 DSCN5233 DSCN5230

here are just a few more

DSCN5240 DSCN5239 DSCN5238 DSCN5237

In comments on yesterday’s post Isabel mentioned doing this design with striped fabrics….I think it is a great idea!    I think the look would be the same but it would make the piecing very fast!

Once I get it done I plan to write-up a pattern, and I think I will include a bunch of different layout options.

There are always leftover bits of fabrics….I have quite a pile of them

DSCN5243 DSCN5242

I said yesterday that I was thinking about borders……I am planning to make borders with all these bits and pieces.

I will add a narrow border of solid….then this crazy pieced border…then another solid

My plan it to make all those scraps into one giant piece and then determine how wide to cut it so there is enough for a border….It looks like a ton of fabric but I wont really know until I put it all back together. It will likely be quite narrow.   If there is not enough for that it will make a pretty cool little wall quilt, and I wont feel like I wasted any fabric..

29 thoughts on “More Layouts

1. Marilyn says:

I am glad to hear you are going to make a pattern. The new variations you added are also quite unique. Tim have fun deciding on which layout to make the final quilt. Hello to Teddy too!

2. Wow this new project is very exciting. I have the same inclination to use up all those left over bits when I am piecing and I love the crazy patchwork idea, it is such a nice contrast to the formal optical design in the core. I am looking forward to seeing this quilt come together and how you will resolve the quilting pattern over those bold blocks.

Thanks…..I am beginning to think about the quilting…..I think it is going to need to be simple so it doesn’t fight the design…..Will have to wait for it to talk to me….

3. jbacon2013 says:

It is wonderful that you have tried out so many versions, my favourites are some of the asymmetrical ones, and the use of the scraps in the borders is inspired.

Thanks….I tend toward asymmetry in my other design work….floral design and landscape design…..but I seem to get stuck in symmetry in quilts…I think in this case they asymmetry might win

4. If you haven’t seen the quilts made by Michael James, go look!! 🙂

5. katechiconi says:

I really like the idea of a crazy border surrounding a formal, symmetrical pattern. Like you, my quilts nearly always come back to symmetry for balance and harmony, so I enjoy the symmetrical options better. I’m still voting for No. 3 from yesterday!

6. Glennis Salls says:

bright and lively Tim, vibrint use of colour

7. Susan Dileanis says:

Any chance you will offer this as a pattern on easy? Have a wonderful holiday, enjoy your blog so much.

8. Mimi says:

I think the stripes of this block is what makes it so interesting. And the sophisticated palette are wonderful.

9. I can’t wait for a pattern! This looks like such a lot of fun.

10. Lindsay Pavel says:

I keep waffling about which layout I like best. I have a secret bet with myself about which one you will choose.

11. Laura in IA says:

I love that some of the layouts remind me of a parquet wood floor. Beautiful quilt Tim.

12. Donna K says:

Hi Tim
    I still like # 3 the best. The pattern emerges as balls floating above gradiated squares on point. I like it the best because if you look at it for a couple minutes those circles seem to float above the rest of it.
    Bravo for crumb piecing. I’ve made some pretty small 4.5 in crumb pieced blocks which I sashed. It was addicting but at the time I did not have a goal as you do with the border so to me it took no time at all.

13. […] I finished piecing a quilt top today.  I posted some layout options over the last few days, ( https://timquilts.com/2014/12/20/more-layouts/,  https://timquilts.com/2014/12/19/room-to-work/) but I kept the original as planned.   I do plan […]

Comments